We need to discuss Kripparrian's latest video => Choosing the right class. Improvements needed !

Author: @N3trunner His work here =>http://n3trunner.deviantart.com/art/The-Shirt-Of-Tenacity-331885545

I borowed image for this article :)

So i came across his latest video today, which is one of the most important for me personally on the alert list. It's about Duelist, Ranger and Shadow nodes optimization, that needs some changes soon. I just hope GGG already noted this, if not i hope they do. Personally, i am very turned off from using any other class, since i have tested all of them. So far i have only played Witch, Marauder and Templar in Open Beta, which perform the best in terms of viability and damage. And these 3 have currently the best hybrid possibilitys.

Kripparrian's latest video => Choosing the right Class !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"
arare wrote:
They made the game a little too hard and now the resulting action that players do is to go all life nodes . The mobs just hit way too hard and most builds now are essentially useless end game.

"
Farystar wrote:
"
sgolemanov wrote:
its not to the skill tree, but to the fact that int and some of str skills are a lot better
comapred to dexterity ones, that in turn makes dex chars inferior

That's why we need solutions soon. They can improve numbers on nodes here and there for the begining. If you look at the duelist, it has the most weak stats to begin with.

Some life nodes or life leech% with Bows or Swords, would make more interesting to build them. Maybe for duelist, to add some vampiric nodes, that go with life leech% as a bonus when you do critical strikes, life leech% increases. Just an example.

@qjay, thank you for your idea contribution !!!

"
qjay wrote:
i think the approach for starting point nodes is just wrong

they should rather design more UNIQUE starting nodes

e.g.

tons of CC or energy shield nodes right at start for witches

tons of shield (to even add more diversity we can add offensive shield nodes and defensive ones) nodes for templar

tons of health/armor nodes at the start for marauder

tons of ranged bonuses for ranger

tons of movement speed/utility/attack speed bonusses for duelist

tons of attack speed or crit bonusses for shadow

other than that we can also add another BIG KEYSTONE right at the start of every class with an LEVEL RESTRICTION, that does one of the following
1) adds one UNIQUE SKILL
2) adds something special like
witches: when energy shield reaches 0, it instantly refills to 100%, but your health is reduced to 1 (internal cooldown of 1 minute)
witches2: when energy shield reaches 0, you do damage to your surroundings equal to your max energyshield * spelldamage (formula can be balanced)
witches3: when reaching health under 40%, your energy shield automaticly refills to 100% (internal cooldown of x)
witches4: when your mana reaches 0 you cause an arcane explosion causing max mana value*spell damage to surroundings (formula can be balanced)

ranger1: after 5 critical hits your next attack will cause 300% damage, but cant crit
ranger2: after x critical hits, your movement speed is increased by x%
ranger3: dodge the next two attacks after getting critical hit
ranger4: dodge the next two attacks after losing health below 50%
ranger5: every second attack does not cost any ressource

templar1: the first aura you cast does not take any mana reservation
templar2: after every 5th block, your shield explodes doing damage in a straight line where your char is facing dealing xx damage (formale : balance)
templar3: when losing 50% hp the templar loses all the bonusses he gets from his shield and cannot block for 10 seconds, but is invincible for 2 seconds (internal cooldown)

marauder1: increase liferegen by xxx
marauder2: adds all the mana you have to your lifepool (if taken blood magic you gain 0 life)
marauder3: every 3rd single target attack becomes an aoe attack

shadow1: after losing 80% health shadow becomes invisible for 3 seconds (internal cooldown)
shadow2: each crit increases shadows attack speed by x
shadow3: each attack increases shadows crit by x (up to a certain cap)

duelist: every 3rd attack gets reflected back to the attacker (if its too much then set a limit, if its too less then add a mod, e.g. make it dependend on weapon damage or whatever)
duelist2: every 4th attack counts as twice
duelist3: after 10th single target ability the next one does 5th damage
duelist4: every 10th attack cause duelist to trigger a crazy attack like the ultimate from blademaster in dota or ultimate from fiora in lol

NOTE those are suggestion TEMPLATES, while some might seem OP, they are all a matter of tweak and balace, but you should get the idea

"
Calamari wrote:
The duelist starting area just makes no sense. His early big nodes are +30 str or +30 dex, really? Look at Templar starting area, in only a few points in any direction he has amazing nodes like +30 life and 12% life in a single node! Why is there such a heavy bias for Templar while at the same time duelist is totally gimped. It just doesn't make any sense, I feel that they had to be aware of this when making the skill tree.

"
brgillespie wrote:
It doesn't matter. That's because the mobs in Merciless hit so goddamned hard with armor and evasion providing relatively poor mitigation. You essentially need to get your attack skill spam set up early, then spend the rest of the game getting life nods and elemental resist nodes, and then work on improving your damage with gear.

The game isn't as complex as it once seemed. I don't know whether to attribute that to balance changes, or that I simply understand the game mechanics better.

I wish I could remember what the old skill tree was like. Again, I don't know whether my myopic vision of the tree is due to it being changed a few patches ago, the new gameplay balance tweaks, or what...

Best regards, Fary :)

GGG thank you for all the great things you are doing. You have combined every element of all other great Rpg's and joined them together as one Diamond, that will shine Forever.

This is coming straight from the heart <3
Last edited by Farystar on Feb 10, 2013, 6:19:28 AM
duelist does suck. My witch has a way easier time, and I put much less effort into thinking out her build. As well as using all my currency on duelist gear.
Down to its core, the skill system is poorly designed.

How can Templar have such better starting nodes and very beneficial big early nodes and leave every other class in the dark.

Also why does 1 class have more stats with the same points early (shadow) than other classes (Duelist).

I feel he can talk about this for hours, but seeing as I main a Duelist, this feels awful and feels like I am gimped.
Last edited by FearGX on Feb 10, 2013, 4:43:07 AM
Agreed. Skill tree will need to be changed and revamped heavily. For example i used Marauder in HC, just to get him to level 30 to pick up and ready all the stuff i collected, to make new Templar in HC with good gear and gems to start with and flask etc. Because it has the best start and later on path for the nodes around. Eventually we will get stuck at the same and most viable builds, with same clases and other half of the tree and classes neglected.

GGG thank you for all the great things you are doing. You have combined every element of all other great Rpg's and joined them together as one Diamond, that will shine Forever.

its not to the skill tree, but to the fact that int and some of str skills are a lot better
"
sgolemanov wrote:

That's why we need solutions soon. They can improve numbers on nodes here and there for the begining. If you look at the duelist, it has the most weak stats to begin with.

Some life nodes or life leech% with Bows or Swords, would make more interesting to build them. Maybe for duelist, to add some vampiric nodes, that go with life leech% as a bonus when you do critical strikes, life leech% increases. Just an example.

Last edited by Farystar on Feb 10, 2013, 5:10:10 AM
Take Kripparrian's advice on balance with a grain of salt, while he is no doubt a good player, he is too set into the Blizzard mindset of balance, which is extremely binary. Such is not the case for PoE.
Right now I'd say: If you want to go dual claws or daggers, make a Shadow. If you want to be a summoner, make a Witch. For everything else, there's the Templar.
Last edited by Quakespeare on Feb 10, 2013, 12:26:20 PM
"
Septile wrote:
Take Kripparrian's advice on balance with a grain of salt, while he is no doubt a good player, he is too set into the Blizzard mindset of balance, which is extremely binary. Such is not the case for PoE.

I know what you are thinking here. But this is not the case here with POE, as it was with D3. Kripparrian clearly respects this game and wants the best possible way for it, to improve. And this is a very important fact at this moment, that needs attention. Since he done things like 4 hour Q & A with @ Chris personally, that was never the case with Blizz.

This is alerting, needs to be fixed.

Last edited by Farystar on Feb 10, 2013, 5:22:12 AM
i think the approach for starting point nodes is just wrong

they should rather design more UNIQUE starting nodes

e.g.

tons of CC or energy shield nodes right at start for witches

tons of shield (to even add more diversity we can add offensive shield nodes and defensive ones) nodes for templar

tons of health/armor nodes at the start for marauder

tons of ranged bonuses for ranger

tons of movement speed/utility/attack speed bonusses for duelist

tons of attack speed or crit bonusses for shadow

other than that we can also add another BIG KEYSTONE right at the start of every class with an LEVEL RESTRICTION, that does one of the following
1) adds one UNIQUE SKILL
2) adds something special like
witches: when energy shield reaches 0, it instantly refills to 100%, but your health is reduced to 1 (internal cooldown of 1 minute)
witches2: when energy shield reaches 0, you do damage to your surroundings equal to your max energyshield * spelldamage (formula can be balanced)
witches3: when reaching health under 40%, your energy shield automaticly refills to 100% (internal cooldown of x)
witches4: when your mana reaches 0 you cause an arcane explosion causing max mana value*spell damage to surroundings (formula can be balanced)

ranger1: after 5 critical hits your next attack will cause 300% damage, but cant crit
ranger2: after x critical hits, your movement speed is increased by x%
ranger3: dodge the next two attacks after getting critical hit
ranger4: dodge the next two attacks after losing health below 50%
ranger5: every second attack does not cost any ressource

templar1: the first aura you cast does not take any mana reservation
templar2: after every 5th block, your shield explodes doing damage in a straight line where your char is facing dealing xx damage (formale : balance)
templar3: when losing 50% hp the templar loses all the bonusses he gets from his shield and cannot block for 10 seconds, but is invincible for 2 seconds (internal cooldown)

marauder1: increase liferegen by xxx
marauder2: adds all the mana you have to your lifepool (if taken blood magic you gain 0 life)
marauder3: every 3rd single target attack becomes an aoe attack

shadow1: after losing 80% health shadow becomes invisible for 3 seconds (internal cooldown)
shadow2: each crit increases shadows attack speed by x
shadow3: each attack increases shadows crit by x (up to a certain cap)

duelist: every 3rd attack gets reflected back to the attacker (if its too much then set a limit, if its too less then add a mod, e.g. make it dependend on weapon damage or whatever)
duelist2: every 4th attack counts as twice
duelist3: after 10th single target ability the next one does 5th damage
duelist4: every 10th attack cause duelist to trigger a crazy attack like the ultimate from blademaster in dota or ultimate from fiora in lol

NOTE those are suggestion TEMPLATES, while some might seem OP, they are all a matter of tweak and balace, but you should get the idea

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info