Please educate me, why does anyone consider PoE to be "hard"?

"
Iluvatar_gr wrote:
"
Charan wrote:
I wonder if the OP feels educated yet.

I think he got your point. He is young. I don't think he had bad intent

No, probably not. It's his wording that needs work. With both topic titles so far.

"Why do people consider PoE to be hard?" would have been much less antagonistic. "Why does anyone" carries with it a tone of "no one should".

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
I don't know why ANYONE considers marathons to be "hard". I've run several city blocks before without even breaking a sweat, and it got boring very quickly. However, I guess we differ in our understanding of "completing the race" for me it was enough to run a few blocks -- after all I was in first place. There was no way I was going to do the same thing over and over again when I had just proven I could do it.

/s

There are things that just get more difficult over time. POE is one such thing.
Last edited by MysteriousVisage on Apr 27, 2015, 5:03:38 PM
To OP:
Get your char to lv 90 in HC leaugues,then come back here to confirm your's statement.
Not sure if OP will read this (and I only did read the first and last pages, not the other 10 in between), but some answers from my personal opinion:

- PoE is not that hard... Is just "normal" for anyone who played games like Diablo 2 or Sacred. Thing is, most of nowadays games are spoon feed to the players. Your "obvious choices" (between melee or elemental damage early on) are not so obvious for some of the younger no-brain population that are used to automatic-allocation or free-respects.

- Most people that say that PoE is hard usually refer to Lv60+, when Merciless Vaal Oversoul (Act 2 boss) can one-shoot the tankiest build (of the appropriate level) and Act 3 starts to become deadly with its Chaos Damage, Chargers, and boss fights. Also, until you hit Merciless there is no noticeable XP-Loss on death (there is in Cruel, but is a lower % and you regain the lost XP back way faster).
(Also, even if most refer to Lv60+, many of those refer to Lv75+ and doing maps with mods).

- You have to take into account that many of us also play on Hardcore, where one dead and you are out and back to level 1. You mentioned you died twice on Act 3 final boss? Thats 2 times too many for most of us. Granted, it was your first time and didn't know the mechanics, but how "hard" the game is can be relative if you are allowed to die or if you don't care going head first and diying 15 times when you find something "hard" or unexpected.

- Also... The "hard" pat of the game is "random", and you HAVE TO be prepared for it (at least in Hardcore or when trying to level past Lv85 on Softcore, where XP lost starts becoming really noticeable) if you want to survive. You can be doing just fine, zero risk, not even paying attention to the area you are in when all of a sudden a really hard Rogue Exile that is specially deadly against your build kills you, or when all of a sudden you didn't notice that pack of hard hitting Magic Monsters happened to have Extra Damage and Extra Elemental Damage on top of their default high damage... From not taking damage to getting 2-shotted. Know what I mean?

If you like the game, I would strongly suggest you to try out hardcore. You play it differently and it becomes more intense. I know its not everyone's piece of cake, but you seem fit for it. You never (or almost never) see anyone saying "I need someone to kill Vaal Oversoul Cruel for me" in softcore, because is not a big deal if it kills you once or twice... On Hardcore? The story changes, and some people don't want to risk their hours spent leveling their toon on a fight that is particularly hard for their build or their skills (or even their latency at times).
Also, for me and many, one of the funniest part of the game is start a fresh new different char and try to make it survive even longer than the previous one, reaching a higher level; and we love the fresh start (for both the economy and our hoarded stashes) that the temporal leagues (none is running right now, wait until Act IV is released) bring.

BTW, if you are going to keep playing, you really need to buy at least 1 or 2 stash bundles. The 4 default stash tabs will make short really soon if you keep playing. I would personally suggest you to wait for a stash bundle offer (they usually come around every 21 days) and get MINIMUM one (6 extra stash tabs), or two of them (12 extra stash) if you know for sure you will keep playing for a long time.
Last edited by Kaemonarch on Apr 27, 2015, 5:42:55 PM
I dont think the majority of PoE quitters thought the game was to hard..

They just realized that the game is way to hardcore and the RNG + Chromes + Fuses etc needed to play the build they want is way to much work.

Most new players actually have to go to the forums and read a guide on how to play the freaking game and what items to use.

So when they figure out the first character they made needs 80 orb of regrets to respec because they totally did everything wrong because they didnt read up on how to play the game... Ragequit :)

Something like that especially for people with work and stuff... Like who wants to come home after 10-12 hours of work and farm a few hours for a chance to find a couple of fuses and a few orb's here and there. It's not like they want to spend the whole day in trade channel just to advance in the game either..

Anyway I love the game, and I understand all my friends that wont play PoE because it's to hardcore.
Too bad the OP didn't play back in the day when Hailrake and Fire Fury were considered OP.

0/10 as far as the entire thread goes.
"
Mischief67 wrote:
Great troll post.

Will follow.

9/10.

p.s: Selling organic troll food, 10 chaos per portion, pst.

My thoughts exactly. Very clever way to do it might I add. He upped his troll game.
"
prilletime wrote:
I dont think the majority of PoE quitters thought the game was to hard..

They just realized that the game is way to hardcore and the RNG + Chromes + Fuses etc needed to play the build they want is way to much work.

Most new players actually have to go to the forums and read a guide on how to play the freaking game and what items to use.

So when they figure out the first character they made needs 80 orb of regrets to respec because they totally did everything wrong because they didnt read up on how to play the game... Ragequit :)

Something like that especially for people with work and stuff... Like who wants to come home after 10-12 hours of work and farm a few hours for a chance to find a couple of fuses and a few orb's here and there. It's not like they want to spend the whole day in trade channel just to advance in the game either..

Anyway I love the game, and I understand all my friends that wont play PoE because it's to hardcore.

Right, it's just insanely time-consuming. Most content up until maps/atziri/powerleveling past 90 isn't difficult, but you can't do that final content at all unless you have an optimized build, great gear, and a ton of time on your hands.

We'll see what Act 4 brings, since GGG says they're making the game more difficult overall. I just hope it's not more random spike damage that mysteriously kills you, because that and reflect are the basic problems I have with my strong toons right now (and it's frustrating that only certain gimmicky defenses can get around that stuff, killing build diversity).
We're all in this leaky boat together, people.
It's not hard as in difficult it's just hardcore grinding nothing/trading else.

It's isn't different from MMORPGs your items are shit you easily die and your items are good you outdamage minions before they can hit your.

The devs claiming making the game "more difficult" means it's more difficult to obtain items and there are more layers of randomness.

You already see jewels adding randomness into the skill tree.
Don't expect the drop rates being identical to CB. The devs had fair drop rates,crafting and mods in CB but once they went into OB everything felt shit for me at last.
Meh. There are things like Atziri (someone fought her with CI + EB).

Even if your power depends on gear and beyond some threshold you can be overpowered, skill still matters.

I managed to play self found to maps with the tools the game gave me, it can be a little grindy at this point but not necessarily impossible. Not bad for a second character.

Someone is doing level 78 maps and Atziri with 4 links. Self found.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Apr 27, 2015, 10:56:01 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info