70% - 100% Increased Armor
15% Less Damage
Can wield 2 handed axes, maces & swords, 1 handed
150% Increased attribute requirements of 2 handed axes, maces & swords
10% Increased Character Size

Notes:
1 - No Sockets so it does not increase the amount of sockets possible
2 - Increased armor so it has some defenses, but not a lot
3 - 15% less damage to make it less Over Powered.
4 - Staves are excluded, because it could over power spells, ect.
5 - Increased attribute requirements to make it more difficult to use high level uniques and base items 1 handed
6 - Increased size to fit the theme. Not important though.

BTW Dual wield is possible and low level 2handed weapons suddenly becomes interesting with this.

Thoughts?

PS: Perhaps Less Damage affix must be changed to only affect phys dam and/or increase reduction to 20-25%
Edit: Changed title to make it clearer.
Last edited by Ruinu on Apr 19, 2015, 12:09:51 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
This actually likes pretty balanced and interesting to me.

Yes, character size wouldn't affect gameplay at all as GGG has stated before that character size is solely a visual change.

The only issue I can spot would depend on exactly how the mechanics work for certain mods, as they may have been implemented without the intent of someone dual-wielding 2h weapons. For instance, if someone uses Reaper's Pursuit, would cull and unevadable be global? Assuming they aren't (or it could be recoded so that they aren't), I don't see any issue with this.
IGN Stuns_McNutshot | Ichimans_McIchimans | Balls_McCritterson
"
Ruinu wrote:
"
Titan's Fury

BTW Dual wield is possible and low level 2handed weapons suddenly becomes interesting with this.

i like the idea of dual wielding 2h weapons but i would rather make it a keystones say:

barbarian heritage
-can wield 2h non ranged weapons on 1 hand
-+50 str
-your attacks dont benefit from negative effects enemy monsters have like curses or elemental penetration.
- chest sockets become void (gems can be socketed and will gain exp but cant be used)

self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

Last edited by caboom on Apr 19, 2015, 12:30:50 PM
"
caboom wrote:

i like the idea of dual wielding 2h weapons but i would rather make it a keystones say:

barbarian heritage
-+50 str
-your attacks dont benefit from negative effects enemy monsters have like curses or elemental penetration.
- chest sockets become void (gems can be socketed and will gain exp but cant be used)

I also thought about making it a keystone, but the biggest problem with it is that there are too many conditions required to make it work and not over powered. If that is the case it would only work on an item where it is normal to have many modifiers.

There are two main things that is debatable on this unique.

First the issue that tsftd mentioned. Some modifiers, like culling, I would imagine is only applicable on the hit of the weapon in question, but I am unsure about all the cases.

Secondly, and the more important question, is the damage of the 2h weapon. This unique won't work if the damage is not reduced, because a perfect 2h weapon's DPS is around 800DPS where a perfect 1h weapon's DPS is only around 500DPS. The question is how much should the DPS be reduced before it is acceptable?

I added the attribute requirements as a cost to permit a substantial increase in DPS. The 15% damage reduction brings the max effective DPS of a 2h down to around 650DPS. Should this be even lower? Here is where I need some feedback.
let us consider the fact that Wings of Entropy has been nerfed twice since release.

Now let's shelve this idea for a rainy day...
"If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is." ~David Dunning
"
Ruinu wrote:
"
Titan's Fury
Gladiator Plate

Has no Sockets
70% - 100% Increased Armor
15% Less Damage
Can wield 2 handed axes, maces & swords, 1 handed
150% Increased attribute requirements of 2 handed axes, maces & swords
10% Increased Character Size

Really cool idea

"
caboom wrote:

barbarian heritage
-+50 str

Also a good idea, though I would execute it quite differently.

1. No keystones I'm aware of have stat bonuses build into them: the thematic association with any one particular stat is achieved by the number of "+10" stat nodes you take building up to the Keystone
2. Staves should almost certainly be excluded. Mechanically, because their inherent block combined with a shield (or dual-wielded staves, lol) could be problematic. Thematically, a staff wielded in one hand is just a club: using both hands is more critical to the fighting style of a staff than it is for the other three weapon types.
3. Being able to use a shield alongside a two-hander is a huge boost to survivability: just losing the sockets from the chest peices doesn't go far enough in my opinion... and besides, what's more stereotypically barbarian than running around combat bare-chested?
4. Ignoring curses seems like it would be difficult to implement, but I'll admit I don't know that for sure. It seems like kind of a very roundabout way to implement a damage nerf, and it would have other unintended (and unthematic) effects, like removing the ability to leech life/mana with Warlord's Mark. I don't see a strong thematic need for it, and balance-wise, I think the loss of the chest piece is punishment enough.

"
Barbarism
-You can wield two-handed axes, swords and maces in one hand
-You can't use chest armor

Simple, thematic, and in most cases balanced, with the exception of off-the-wall uniques like Bringer of Rain and Wings of Entropy. In my mind, unique items (that most players will never see anyway) which hold back the creation of new and interesting content should be pushed aside.
If we do make it a keystone it will need at least a 25% less damage to avoid making it over powered. This brings the max DPS a two-hander can make down to 600dps, 20% more than a one-hander.

Keystone:
"
Barbarism
-25% Less Physical Damage dealt with two-handed axes, swords and maces

Wings of Entropy poses a problem though. I don't know how that unique would be handled.
Last edited by Ruinu on Apr 19, 2015, 3:40:25 PM
I'm afraid it looks completely overpowered to me. This would make it so the only possible way to play 2H is with this chest, or at least that would be the perception. I was lucky enough to get a really good 2H in Torment league and I have to say if I could have wielded 2 of such weapons... uhm the game would have just imploded, then exploded, then imploded, and exploded again.

I think it would be ridiculously OP for good items.

Now on the other hand (tee hee) if I could propose a keystone for wielding 2h with 1h it would be this.

Unrivaled Under Heaven

While dual wielding you can equip one 2H weapon
Resolute Technique is Invalid
50% Less Critical Strike Chance
+4% chance to block
The 'less' modifier would have to be significantly increased (which may well make the whole exercise worthless).

As an example, mirror 2h axe = 880ish pdps, mirror 1h axe = 544 pdps, the less modifier would need to be 38% to keep one from being significantly preferable to another.

In which case, there would then be no real advantage to it, so yeah - why is it needed?
"
Ruinu wrote:
If we do make it a keystone it will need at least a 25% less damage to avoid making it over powered. This brings the max DPS a two-hander can make down to 600dps, 20% more than a one-hander.

Keystone:
"
Barbarism
-25% Less Physical Damage dealt with two-handed axes, swords and maces

Wings of Entropy poses a problem though. I don't know how that unique would be handled.

Then the question becomes "why". Why would anyone take this keystone? They would do only as much damage as with a one-hander, but they'd lose the protection of the chest armor, and while they'd gain the potential 6 sockets of the two hander, they'd lose the potential 6 sockets of the chest peice.

They would be significantly more vulnerable than a standard sword-and-board, without any added damage, and they'd have fewer sockets to show for it.

If you leave the only drawback as the lack of chest armor, you get the following options:

Standard 2H
+High Damage
+2 potential 6-socket items
-Low Defenses
-Worst Blocking

Standard 1H+Shield
+High Defenses
+Best Blocking
-Lowest Damage
-1 potential 6-socket item

Standard Dual Wield
+-Mid-range Damage
+-Mid-range Blocking
-Low Defenses

With Barbarism (assuming the only drawback is lack of chest armor, you get:)

2H+Shield (No Chest)
+Best Blocking
+High Damage
-Low Defenses

2H Dual Wield (No Chest)
++Maximum Damage
+2 potential 6-socket items
+-Mid-Range Blocking
--Abysmal Defenses

To me, this seems reasonably balanced. A 2h+shield guy would make a pretty straight-up trade of one of his potential 6-socket items for the ability to block. That's nice: there's a trade-off, but it's worth the investment in the keystone. A 2h dual wielder would be... interesting. Absurd damage, but no defenses to speak of asside from the middling blocking ability, a real glass-cannon kind of build.

Again, there are certain uniques which wouldn't work with the keystone, namely Wings of Entropy and Bringer of Rain. I suspect Wings of Entropy is coded in such a way that it simply could not be equipped alongside anything else, so we'll assume it simply won't be usable with the keystone. Bringer of Rain would be broken, so I would propose a change to the item as follows: Change the property from "Can't Use Chest Armor" to "Also Counts as Chest Armor". This means that when you equip it, it fills up both slots, it doesn't just disable the chest, and since it counts as Chest Armor, it cannot be used with Barbarism.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info