A potential change I'm keen to hear your thoughts on

"
Rory wrote:
"
Shppy wrote:
Would auras not reserve the ES portion? So if i reserved 100% of my actual mana, I'd still be able to cast fully from my ES pool?

Areas won't reserve from ES, so you can cast purely from ES and reserve all mana, if you have a good way to recover energy shield.
"
Shppy wrote:
Would Arctic Armor drain directly from mana, or would it take ES first?

Arctic Armour still drains mana. Only costs are paid by ES, not reservation or drain.
"
Shppy wrote:
Would Mind over Matter only apply the damage to the manapool while leaving the ES untouched?

Yep
"
Shppy wrote:
Would the ES regen act independently of natural mana regen (so after a few seconds of not casting, the ES would rapidly regen, while mana regen would still keep going all the time) and would mana regen rates help fill up the ES pool?

That's correct. ES will act just like it was over life, not getting any special bonuses from being over mana other than recovery not being interrupted by damage.

alright, well in that case:

-seems cool for auras and reservation, probably quite handy for a summoner or aura-bot to squeeze every last bit of mana into auras as possible without having to blood-magic every active skill.

-seems cool for MoM, not having to worry about going out of mana by taking damage is big... too bad access to both EB and MoM is so heavily restricted to using EB + Cloak of Defiance most of the time. Hybrid flasks might get more frequently used with this change on MoM users, as opposed to using pure mana flasks (don't need as heavy of mana recovery from flasks if your pool isn't as large, hybrid flasks instead will restore both health and mana reasonably quickly and in fairly good supply)

-seems really bad for Arctic Armor, as reaching high max mana values to pump up regen is big for dealing with AA, and EB helps a lot in raching those max mana values. Very well may have to rebalance AA around this change.

-and i don't quite know what to think about the regen system, seems like it could be pretty restrictive (not using skills for several seconds in order to regain psuedo-mana), though i'd imagine Zealot's Oath can probably make it significantly more manageable. Dunno that I'd want to use Ghost Reaver with it though, taking away life leech to get psuedo-mana leech seems like a bad call.
Last edited by Shppy on Apr 17, 2015, 8:41:44 PM
Well if i get in the Beta this will be one of the FIRST things i will be testing out!
EB is one of my favorite nodes for many reasons and for many purposes!
Gonna be interesting to see how this works!
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on Apr 17, 2015, 8:27:10 PM
if you did this, couldn't you use the 10% life regen on tree or something for ungodly amounts of es regen anyways? ohhh that's the point of the change, make the ungodly mana regen require investment. okay.
The more I think about it, the less I like it to be honest.

-Recovery stop on mana expend sounds like a horrible mechanic comfort-wise (will it even work with Arctic armor)
-Most mana intensive casters who rely on EB as defense will go away from this.
-MoM builds will be royally screwed

It'd be a nice alternative node, but I don't think it should replace the current EB
Please don't PM me ingame with filter/guide questions, post them on the forum, after reading the FAQ.
Last edited by NeverSink on Apr 17, 2015, 8:31:40 PM
With the current reservations and mana nodes it's impossible to have enough to use stuff like Clarity and have enough mana for defenses.

I think the change requires more options to expand your mana pool.
...iiiiinteresting. I approve.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
If I understand this correctly, it would seem that low life blood magic builds would benefit the most from this. I remember watching ZiggyD show that when he would cast his flame totems his ES wouldn't regenerate.
IGN : Dietiite Tempest

standard League shop: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1301146
So would RF drain the ES?
When I kill a man he stays dead.
After thinking on it a little more, I guess I can imagine some value.

If you have enough ES from gear, and a few ES nodes, you can at least reserve 100% of your mana, so you may get an extra aura out of this. Ghost Reaver becomes a free mana leech gem if you want to sustain your mana cost instead of cast in bursts, allowing you to shift gear priorities away from mana regen. ES recovery nodes might be worth paying attention to.

It's a neat idea that provides niche flexibility for some odd builds, but I don't think I would trade the current Eldritch Battery for it. Can we have both?
Last edited by Crocodarrel on Apr 17, 2015, 8:35:14 PM
"
Khayman462 wrote:
If I understand this correctly, it would seem that low life blood magic builds would benefit the most from this. I remember watching ZiggyD show that when he would cast his flame totems his ES wouldn't regenerate.

If you go low life your not going to take EB cause then you'll have no es or life. Ok you'll have es but it wont help when mitigating damage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info