A potential change I'm keen to hear your thoughts on

"
Boem wrote:
Ha if this is EB being reworked it could be disastrous.

I like it lol.

Can we get another clue Rory? Is it a mechanical change to EB and how it operates, or is it purely a visual change and everything stays as it is on a mechanical level?

(% mana regeneration effect comes to mind, flat mana regen gain per mana amount etc)

Peace,

-Boem-

All the usual effects on Energy Shield will still apply to this ES - Recovery delay, Ghost Reaver, Zealot's Oath, etc. You'll not have any more base mana than you would have had prior to taking the keystone, though. Damage won't interrupt ES recovery any more, only losing mana or ES will. Imagine it as just how Energy Shield operates over life, except applied to mana.
Balance & Design
screenshot doesn't explain much, my thoughts depend on how it actually interacts with some other mechanics.

Would auras not reserve the ES portion? So if i reserved 100% of my actual mana, I'd still be able to cast fully from my ES pool?

Would Arctic Armor drain directly from mana, or would it take ES first?

Would Mind over Matter only apply the damage to the manapool while leaving the ES untouched?

Would the ES regen act independently of natural mana regen (so after a few seconds of not casting, the ES would rapidly regen, while mana regen would still keep going all the time) and would mana regen rates help fill up the ES pool?
How would auras work % and flat? Remove ES first? OR just take out of mana?
I need a signature to look legit
Sounds like a straight up nerf to me.

I love it, sounds meta changing.

Can anyone think of any upsides or build enabling implications?
EDIT: I had a full response on here but your forums ate it. If you have a previous version of the post you can regress it to that to find out what I posted.

TLDR version of the post that got eaten, probably useful for summoners because they can run 100% mana auras while still being able to cast their high cost minions. Nerf to everyone else because ES and mana no longer stack, no extra regen and requires more investment.
Last edited by PsionicKitten on Apr 17, 2015, 8:18:57 PM
Let's work at this.
"
Rory wrote:

All the usual effects on Energy Shield will still apply to this ES - Recovery delay, Ghost Reaver, Zealot's Oath, etc. You'll not have any more base mana than you would have had prior to taking the keystone, though. Damage won't interrupt ES recovery any more, only losing mana or ES will. Imagine it as just how Energy Shield operates over life, except applied to mana.

There's a few mechanical discrepancies that aren't immediately evident, and the effectiveness of this change rely on.

What we can see:

1) Character is suffering damage, ES is not being depleted by it.
2) ES is now being depleted by mana consumption.
3) All usual effects on ES are otherwise normal.

What we can infer:

1) reserving mana through auras would work as normal on the mana pool, but then allow the ES to eat mana costs. This has significant impact, on mana based reservation characters but introduces a host of efficacy problems.

If mana reservation also applies to the ES pool, then this change is automatically "trash and recycle" tier.

Problems not immediately apparent:

1) ES regen works in bursts. Mana-casting bursts aren't really a thing unless you're running flameblast. Taking Zealots Oath still converts life regen to your ES - but that leaves your main healthpool with no regen of any kind - and often results in very slow regen rates for your fake mana pool. Outside of a very niche hibrid build, ZO might be a dead node.
2) Tying your combat effectiveness to a limited pool seems... questionable. See no regen maps. Obviously it's not a precise comparison, but it does highlight issues faced with 'intermittant effectiveness'

On the flip side - Ghost Reacer + EB essentially converts your lifeleech to mana leech, so there is that little fun fact... :D
"If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is." ~David Dunning
Last edited by TikoXi on Apr 17, 2015, 8:43:19 PM
Reservation would work just like it does for Life. You reserve Life but it does not effect ES
Last edited by TheJedipimp on Apr 17, 2015, 8:16:28 PM
i like it. would be fun to look at and play with.

also it looks like the kind of half broken thing i would think of... maybe that's why i like it?
Last edited by svnhddbst on Apr 17, 2015, 8:17:25 PM
"
Shppy wrote:
Would auras not reserve the ES portion? So if i reserved 100% of my actual mana, I'd still be able to cast fully from my ES pool?

Areas won't reserve from ES, so you can cast purely from ES and reserve all mana, if you have a good way to recover energy shield.
"
Shppy wrote:
Would Arctic Armor drain directly from mana, or would it take ES first?

Arctic Armour still drains mana. Only costs are paid by ES, not reservation or drain.
"
Shppy wrote:
Would Mind over Matter only apply the damage to the manapool while leaving the ES untouched?

Yep
No. ES blocks (non-chaos) damage from getting at the resource it protects. When it's moved to mana, it will intercept (non-chaos) damage that would be dealt to mana. It would have no effect on the 70% of damage that stays going to life.
Edit by Mark
"
Shppy wrote:
Would the ES regen act independently of natural mana regen (so after a few seconds of not casting, the ES would rapidly regen, while mana regen would still keep going all the time) and would mana regen rates help fill up the ES pool?

That's correct. ES will act just like it was over life, not getting any special bonuses from being over mana other than recovery not being interrupted by damage.
Balance & Design
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Apr 18, 2015, 12:41:38 AM
So... would mana leech recover the Eldritch Battery portion or would it just be leeching to the already full mana pool until the Eldritch Battery portion is used up?
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info