Is the map system humane design?

I think the market speaks for itself. Players want to literally live in their favorite games, so why not let them? Make your games more 'humane' and chances are those players will move on to better games they can no-life in. I really don't think devs have to babysit their audience, it's on the player to decide how much he wants/needs to play.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Note that the beta balance changes at this point don't target mapping at all. Why is quite possibly the most broken system in PoE not getting any attention?

(Spell shotgunning was probably second most broken, or maybe a close third.)
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Note that the beta balance changes at this point don't target mapping at all. Why is quite possibly the most broken system in PoE not getting any attention?

Now that we're into 2.0 and maps did get "balanced", any more thoughts on the original topic?
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Bumping again because I think this is an interesting thread.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Well in my opinion the whole idea of content gated by "luck" is flawed to begin with.
The drop rates might be buffed or nerfed .... but in the end your luck is still the thing that dictates if you would be able to progress your character to higher levels or not. Spending tons of currency just to roll your maps and running out of high level maps is the worst feeling in Path of Exile. There is no joy in mindlessly grinding level 74 maps ( which you faceroll at this point ) for 3 hours to get from 24% to 25% exp at level 96. It feels like a choir and it gets boring extremely quickly and it can get very frustrating and discouraging when the game mocks you by dropping you a level 68 map from the boss in a high level maps.
People want level 100 to be something very hard to achieve but gating the high-end content by pure "luck" is an awful decision.

P.S. Man i miss the Maelstrom of Chaos...
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
I haven't ran into the map issue yet. I think part of the reason is that I keep doing the temp leagues and end up with more maps than that char can run in the time I have. I enjoy this game as many responses have noted in different ways and I'm not "racing" or rushing thru to many zones but enjoying the ride. Yolo this and that map ... vendor 3 for the higher tier map.. run different toons for different maps and just have fun trying new weapons/skills etc. If you are only focused on leveling the 1 toon then yeah I could see this as being a grind. I only really felt that grind with the Master's release. Level 8 Masters helped my RF Maurader make level 90 with an odd 76,77 and occasional 78 map.
The thing is that getting to 90 doesn't really require high level maps, while getting above 90 does.
Sure some want to play many characters ( me included btw ) , some don't want to reach max level, some don't have the time to do it, or the desire ... that's all good ... but to be denied access to high level content which at some point is the only content that gives you any leveling progress is plain and simply bad. Content gated by luck doesn't do any good for those who don't have any intention to get to level 100 ( or close to that ) and it certainly does no good for those who do want to achieve that.

Again don't get me wrong .. getting to 100 should be hard ... but making your "luck" be a major part of exactly how hard it is is just insane in my opinion.

Being forced to grind content that you've outleveled by 20+ levels, content that you no longer enjoy clearing, that poses no challenge and is not rewarding just for the chance to get to play higher level content is absurd. Oh and on top of that you need to spend tons of currency to increase that chance by a little bit!
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Aug 4, 2015, 1:59:47 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info