HC people that tried SC for the first time.

I made a ranger, killed firefury and said to myself: "wtf man"
And went back to hardcore.
SC is fun. something I've known for years, and I'm happy some "HC-only" players got to experience it.
HC is fun too, and I'm happy some "SC-only" players got to experience it.

basically, not playing a league is missing out.
each has a unique flavour to it.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
hc players deciding its ok to just die all the time, playing that way, then finding the game feels like shit if you just die all the time. If youre skilled hc players you should be able to hit the lvl80 4/4 without dying anyway so why would u play the game any different to hc and why would it feel any different to hc? you play both like a pro and never die right? You shouldnt even notice theres any difference.

I just dont get the mindsets tbh, do you actually care about playing the game properly or is it something that has to be forced on your by the league mod otherwise you just revert to a natural state of playing like a scrub? If you dont take the game seriously then of course it feels pointless. You should care about dying because it says that you sucked, and sucking should feel like shit because you have pride in your play. I guess thats just my personal take on things, any league I play if I die it feels like shit, regardless of the league Im just as angry at myself on the pure principal of it.
"
"
Explicitskill wrote:
2. I started to appreciate the exp penalty for death. I only died 4 times, but one was at level 77 (UNID box :D) and I realized I had to map for like 20 minutes to make up for that. I can't imagine how bad it would be dying in the 90's. I played like I would in HC from 77 to 80.

20 minutes to make up 10% at level 77? Are you sure you're appraising that right?

At level 77 you can play level 70 maps at no penalty, which are also super easy to acquire.

A single no-penalty map should get you at _least_ 10% at any level (that you can have no penalty at). With pack size I generally get at least 13%.

That means you need 1 map. If your clear speed is 20 minutes for a single map, you clearly weren't playing the glass cannon you thought you were. Not trying to insult your build, just saying that despite your willingness to "jump in", it must be the case that you really couldn't sacrifice as much tankiness as you thought. Sounds like you built a slightly-flimsy hardcore build that you were playing recklessly, not a real softcore build :P

Was just a rough estimate, it probably did only take me like 6 - 10 minutes to make up for it, but my point was it was a much more significant penalty than dying early on, where you make up for it after like 1 pack of magic monsters. I can see how bad it would be in the 90's where xp gaps are massive.

I actually used this league to test out my melee character I hope to use in Act 4 HC leagues. Only variation was I rushed DPS early to kill things faster leveling up, but by 77 I was pretty much using a HC build. I didn't go for a glass cannon build. My clear speed was actually fine, but as melee you're obviously not going to compete with true SC glass cannon builds or burn prolif builds. Since it was SC though I was a lot more willing to just jump in, pop a few flasks and see if I could out leech the incoming damage regardless of mob density or danger. Was fun in its own way.
IGN: ExplicitSkill
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
hc players deciding its ok to just die all the time, playing that way, then finding the game feels like shit if you just die all the time. If youre skilled hc players you should be able to hit the lvl80 4/4 without dying anyway so why would u play the game any different to hc and why would it feel any different to hc? you play both like a pro and never die right? You shouldnt even notice theres any difference.

I just dont get the mindsets tbh, do you actually care about playing the game properly or is it something that has to be forced on your by the league mod otherwise you just revert to a natural state of playing like a scrub? If you dont take the game seriously then of course it feels pointless. You should care about dying because it says that you sucked, and sucking should feel like shit because you have pride in your play. I guess thats just my personal take on things, any league I play if I die it feels like shit, regardless of the league Im just as angry at myself on the pure principal of it.

thats just it you cant die in softcore not really, you just get right back up thats why I couldn't do it, I dident worry about dieing because its not possible. To me the risk of dieing is what makes HC fun. If i die in hardcore my guy ends up in the land of the dead (standard)
I dont see any any key!
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree. Cheesing content by brute force just because you can is a reflection of your personal character. Not a reflection of difficulty. And alot of people here assume that's what every softcore player does.
"
yungwhiz wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree. Cheesing content by brute force just because you can is a reflection of your personal character. Not a reflection of difficulty. And alot of people here assume that's what every softcore player does.

this describers me perfectly lol
I dont see any any key!
"
yungwhiz wrote:

It's actually exactly a reflection of difficulty. Imposing rules on yourself you made up (e.g. not die in softcore) is your personal playstyle. But the objective difficulty is set by the parameters GGG gave us. And since dying literally doesn't matter while progressing through the game, 'cheesing' is a perfectly valid strategy because there is no incentive to stay alive.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Last edited by Xavderion on Apr 16, 2015, 3:52:55 PM
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
yungwhiz wrote:

It's actually exactly a reflection of difficulty. Imposing rules one yourself you made up (e.g. not die in softcore) is your personal playstyle. But the objective difficulty is set by the parameters GGG gave us. And since dying literally doesn't matter while progressing through the game, 'cheesing' is a perfectly valid strategy because there is no incentive to stay alive.

well said the league allows cheeseing therefore I Cheese

and since im from packer land I really love Cheese lol
I dont see any any key!
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

On one hand I see what you're saying. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I actually built a HC viable character in the league and only died 4 times. All were easily avoidable (IDing strongboxes to see mods), but I wasn't just dying 100 times to kill bosses stupidly. However, at the same time I can't fault people for messing around in a 1 month SC league as regular HC players. That's sort of what I did and it was fun. To each their own, I mean if they want to play like that in the 1 month SC league, I'm not one to judge. Many of them were just there for the blue MTX suit, just like how many of the SC players were only playing HC for the red MTX suit. How they did it is up to them.
IGN: ExplicitSkill
Last edited by Explicitskill on Apr 16, 2015, 3:56:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info