HC people that tried SC for the first time.

A direct mirror of the SC -> HC transition thread that's on front page. While browsing the reactions on that thread, I was wondering what how many people were like me and actually made a HC -> SC transition and their reactions.

Personally I'm almost exclusively a temp league HC player. I enjoy the trills associated with fresh HC leagues. I play on a semi competitive level (shoot for top 100 ladder) and knowing people ahead of me can RIP is appealing, among many other perks (economy, risk/reward, RIP announcements). However the blue MTX set looked pretty cool so I fired up a 1mSC character.

My feelings and observations:

1. It was really fun playing a more aggressive/reckless playstyle. Opening UNID strong boxes, leap slamming into large packs blindly(I played cyclone), rushing DMG nodes over defensive ones first while leveling.

2. I started to appreciate the exp penalty for death. I only died 4 times, but one was at level 77 (UNID box :D) and I realized I had to map for like 20 minutes to make up for that. I can't imagine how bad it would be dying in the 90's. I played like I would in HC from 77 to 80.

3. Global and trade chat are generally more active than HC. Trade 1 was basically unreadable during the 2nd week (I completed HC challenges in 5 days then switched to SC). Global was also pretty active though activity obviously died down as the 1 month progressed and people quit.

Was wondering if any regular HC players had any interesting thoughts on their time in SC. I know I am not the only one who spends a majority of their time in HC but played 1MSC for the MTX. Maybe there is something I missed or didn't fully appreciate in my time in SC that you guys did.

Disclaimer: Like the other thread, this isn't a HC vs SC debate thread. Just want to see people's reactions. There are pros and cons for both leagues and it's up to each individual's preferences as to which is a better league for them. Me personally I'll still stick to HC, it's in my competitive spirit. But that's not the same for everyone.
IGN: ExplicitSkill
I tried, couldn't do it

I couldn't stand being immortal

blue power ranger suit was not worth it
I dont see any any key!
I tried it. The only way I could make it entertaining was to be stupidly wreckless and focus completely on dps in a self found glass cannon mentality. Had 2.5k life 70 ish reses and no armour, evasion or anything doing like level 75 maps hahaha.

Even still i didnt find it too much of a rewarding experience. Made it to level 80 thankfully. Id prefer future events not to require players to play both leagues to get them. IE challenges give same reward for "EITHER - OR" (HC, SC).

Died like 35 times hahahaha

About 10 of these were for facetanking default dominus with no light res and then just respawning at checkpoint when i died as it has zero impact. Which seems really silly. You could essentially as a sc do all bosses this way, by making sure you level before taking on piety with like no resistances and just keep dying until she dies even if you die 40 times who cares ....
Last edited by DexDeus on Apr 16, 2015, 3:01:11 PM
My experience has been pretty much identical to yours. I made it to 88 back in Ambush because I wanted to check out the end-game content and dying at 88 was so dreadful, I realised you have to build just like you would in HC in order to reach level 100.
http://i.imgur.com/8fqgfAh.png
"
DexDeus wrote:
I tried it. The only way I could make it entertaining was to be stupidly wreckless and focus completely on dps in a self found glass cannon mentality. Had 2.5k life 70 ish reses and no armour, evasion or anything doing like level 75 maps hahaha.

Even still i didnt find it too much of a rewarding experience. Made it to level 80 thankfully. Id prefer future events not to require players to play both leagues to get them. IE challenges give same reward for "EITHER - OR" (HC, SC).

About 10 of these were for facetanking default dominus with no light res and then just respawning at checkpoint when i died as it has zero impact. Which seems really silly. You could essentially as a sc do all bosses this way, by making sure you level before taking on piety with like no resistances and just keep dying until she dies even if you die 40 times who cares ....

lol this is why I cant play SC

you can just face tank bosses like that, it feels so pointless to me lol
I dont see any any key!
I played SC for the first time this one month league for the challenges. I did the SC challenges first and played pretty reckless. By the time I finished all the SC challenges I had over 40 deaths. Then I went to do the HC challenges and didn't die a single time. Funny thing was when I did /played for both characters the amount of time it took for me to finish the challenges in HC compared to SC were only an hour apart, with HC being the longer one I think.
Last edited by ケイファ on Apr 16, 2015, 3:05:56 PM
eeeh , did not have any fun tbh. It took me like thrice the time (in days i played) hc took me because it felt so boring , the thing with sc is that go for deeeeeps can feel cool just until you die once or twice. After i died once i really did not want to play anymore but somehow i managed to drag it to 80 and pay somebody for the other challenges. Trade and global/global 820 are complete [Removed by Support]

If you want to do party mapping you get players with horriterrible builds that have no sense of team play or people who just want to fuck shit up , if you ask players in global for knowledge/help you notice some of the worst [Removed by Support] , people even arrive to the point where they tell new people they will kill their family in front of them if they talk anymore , like WUT THE FUCK.

Don`t eveeeeeeeeeeeeen try to trade , yes , trade chat is full of people but most of these people are just horrible miscreations from hell who either don`t know just enough english to communicate with you , have no idea of prices but yet expect you pay/sell for whatever he decides , or a combination of both.

[Removed by Support] , absurd people and lack of efficiency everywhere! THe fact that i did the challenges in hc all by myself (except master missions) in 25 hours , killing atziri at 81 while in softcore i had to semi torture myself to BUY challenges speaks a lot. [Removed by Support] ...for me. Please don`t get offended somehow if you don`t have the same opinion , it is just that with the experience i had i could not react otherwise.
Last edited by Jared_GGG on Apr 16, 2015, 3:37:03 PM
"
k1rage wrote:
"
DexDeus wrote:

lol this is why I cant play SC

you can just face tank bosses like that, it feels so pointless to me lol

yeah. I mean also although i died 35 times there were prob like double that where i cam mega close being so wreckless and silly. And i remember feeling nothing about it. Like in hc.... that adrenaline, that heartbeat, that metaphorical sweat dripping off your head when you almost die... its so exhilerating! Wouldnt trade it even for immortality... :P
"
DexDeus wrote:

yeah. I mean also although i died 35 times there were prob like double that where i cam mega close being so wreckless and silly. And i remember feeling nothing about it. Like in hc.... that adrenaline, that heartbeat, that metaphorical sweat dripping off your head when you almost die... its so exhilerating! Wouldnt trade it even for immortality... :P

This reminds me of the whole "immortality is not actual cool guys, living forever is boring" trope.
Noblesse oblige
"
Explicitskill wrote:
2. I started to appreciate the exp penalty for death. I only died 4 times, but one was at level 77 (UNID box :D) and I realized I had to map for like 20 minutes to make up for that. I can't imagine how bad it would be dying in the 90's. I played like I would in HC from 77 to 80.

20 minutes to make up 10% at level 77? Are you sure you're appraising that right?

At level 77 you can play level 70 maps at no penalty, which are also super easy to acquire.

A single no-penalty map should get you at _least_ 10% at any level (that you can have no penalty at). With pack size I generally get at least 13%.

That means you need 1 map. If your clear speed is 20 minutes for a single map, you clearly weren't playing the glass cannon you thought you were. Not trying to insult your build, just saying that despite your willingness to "jump in", it must be the case that you really couldn't sacrifice as much tankiness as you thought. Sounds like you built a slightly-flimsy hardcore build that you were playing recklessly, not a real softcore build :P

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info