Random latency spikes leading to death or disconnect.

There's no WinMTR that you've posted that has google running at the same time as other things.

Could you please do what I suggested in my previous post and get Google tracing as well as the PoE gateway at the same time, and let them both run until you experience an issue in-game... then post the results.
I DID. There are 3 winmtr posts. the first 2 are poe and google side by side, the 3rd is google alone. when you put www.google.com in winmeter, it doesnt have google labeled in the last hop, so you WONT see that name in the winmtr post.

just in case, i ran another one, using www.google.com, and google isnt mentions in any of the hop ips. the last winmtrs posted are EXACTLY what you asked for.
"
zhexek222 wrote:
I DID. There are 3 winmtr posts. the first 2 are poe and google side by side, the 3rd is google alone. when you put www.google.com in winmeter, it doesnt have google labeled in the last hop, so you WONT see that name in the winmtr post.

just in case, i ran another one, using www.google.com, and google isnt mentions in any of the hop ips. the last winmtrs posted are EXACTLY what you asked for.

Ohh, I see what you mean now.. that was my mistake. It was due to the labelling on the trace and I wasn't looking closely enough at the last IP to see that it was google and wasn't an instance IP. I was thinking for some reason that the second trace was to the instance server directly.

So what the first two traces show is consistent. You're losing packets between the first and second hop... between the router/modem and your gateway.

Based on the other google trace, this appears to be intermittent, and might actually be as I said before, and only caused when under load or the specific packets that PoE uses (jumbo frames, etc).

You can clearly see not only the huge latency spike between those first two hops in the first two traces, but you can also see that the sent/received numbers are not the same... where as in the third trace, it is a consistent 201 the whole way down. The last trace is what you want to see all the time. The first two show quite a lot of missing packets and higher latency spikes.
So perhaps I can change my gateway and fix the issue? any suggestions as to what gateway to use? I will look at the post when i wake up. Nightshifter here, time for bed.
"
zhexek222 wrote:
So perhaps I can change my gateway and fix the issue? any suggestions as to what gateway to use? I will look at the post when i wake up. Nightshifter here, time for bed.

No... you cannot change your gateway... this is the physical connection from the modem to the first node (usually near your house on the street).

It could also be a bad modem configuration, crappy hardware, etc.. those are the types of problems that are REALLY hard to find and diagnose due to their intermittent nature, but it's certainly not the first time I've seen this type of issue.

As I said, sometimes these issues only show up under very specific situations like a certain type of packet or packet size, etc. There are a lot of settings that can be configured and could possibly help the issue, but I'm really not certain in your situation as I don't know your hardware or other conditions. Also unfortunately, it is unlikely a network tech is going to help you either as your ISP will just ping your line and say it's fine... unless you can find a tech competent enough to wait for you to run PoE and test while PoE is running.

Based on your trace, I'm assuming you are not running a separate router as the IP for the first hop appears to be the cable modem itself (which might have a built in router if it has multiple ports for other PCs).

I really feel for you, and I wish I had better news. I hope you can see from your traces though how there is no way this issue is a GGG network issue. I'm not saying PoE isn't causing your modem to misbehave, or that it isn't triggering some condition in your line... but it's not a GGG network or server issue. It's clearly something between the modem and the next hop... which sometimes is as simple as just rebooting the modem... but other times, requires more configuration or even new hardware.

I saw a similar issue a year or so ago where a user with a cable modem was having very similar problems (and very similar argument). After finding a competent technician, they found that the cable line wasn't properly grounded and it caused problems with the modem intermittently. This type of intermittent problem isn't an issue under other situations, but because of how PoE does network code, it is much more obvious than other software. PoE is NOT tolerant at all with poor connections. There is really no buffering or other types of network mitigation to prevent you from noticing issues (which is the same reason why desync can seem so bad in PoE but not other games). If your network has issues PoE WILL find them.

Again, I feel for you, and I wish I had better news or more assistance to get it resolved... but I have no control over that hardware, nor do I have the ability to make someone figure it out and fix it. I wish I could.

Good luck mate.
Thank you.

I went to radio shack/lowes and bought 3ghz quad shield coax, 2 3ghz splitters. I wish I could find a 5 way 3 ghz splitter but I will have to order it online. I have already buried the cable and have it set up to junction box on my house and at the street lol. I just have to make the connections and feed it into my house to the router. Too bad it started raining and the sun went down. I also have friggin jury duty tomorrow. After I replace all the wiring, I will run all the same tests and pray

My neighbors saw me digging a trench from my house to the street and I could hear them talking crap. Makes me chuckle.

Edit: I realized that I have lived in my house for 14 years, and I bought the house with all the coax that is currently there. There was no cable internet back then and the quality/age of the cable must be terrible.
Last edited by zhexek222 on Apr 19, 2015, 9:38:08 PM

Lionseye watch running while using winmtr. Ip from lionseye, from log file.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| WinMTR statistics |

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| 10.0.0.1 - 0 | 323 | 323 | 0 | 0 | 3 | 0 |

| c-73-192-118-1.hsd1.fl.comcast.net - 0 | 323 | 323 | 9 | 26 | 62 | 29 |

|te-8-4-ur01.arlington.fl.jacksvil.comcast.net - 0 | 323 | 323 | 5 | 13 | 913 | 10 |

|te-0-4-0-12-ar02.southside.fl.jacksvil.comcast.net - 0 | 323 | 323 | 7 | 12 | 30 | 13 |

|be-33489-cr01.miami.fl.ibone.comcast.net - 0 | 323 | 323 | 15 | 20 | 35 | 20 |

|he-0-11-0-1-pe03.nota.fl.ibone.comcast.net - 0 | 323 | 323 | 14 | 17 | 45 | 25 |

| as36351-1-c.nota.fl.ibone.comcast.net - 1 | 320 | 319 | 12 | 19 | 65 | 17 |

| ae1.bbr01.sr02.hou02.networklayer.com - 0 | 323 | 323 | 40 | 45 | 116 | 46 |

| ae3.bbr01.eq01.dal03.networklayer.com - 0 | 323 | 323 | 39 | 44 | 76 | 44 |

| ae0.dar02.sr01.dal01.networklayer.com - 0 | 323 | 323 | 38 | 44 | 72 | 45 |

| po2.fcr05.sr06.dal01.networklayer.com - 0 | 323 | 323 | 38 | 47 | 200 | 46 |

|173.192.12.35-static.reverse.softlayer.com - 0 | 323 | 323 | 39 | 44 | 64 | 46 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

So I replaced the entire internet portion of my coax from the router to the street with quad shield 3ghz cable. I replaced the 2 way and 4 way splitters with 3 ghz dual pass splitters. Made sure the cable is properly grounded. I am getting much better results, although I do get a spike from time to time, the game is now playable. KNOCK ON WOOD.

I had a scary moment when I was out on the street, the cable box is locked and I dont recommend anyone doing this,.... I had bought all my items to find that the green plastic box has a specialty lock on it. So, I just lifted the entire box off the ground and threw it to the side lol. They didn't secure the post that was hammered into the ground that the plastic box was riveted to.

Thank you for your help Drakier. I was wrong, you were right.
Last edited by zhexek222 on Apr 20, 2015, 10:14:35 PM
I don't care about right or wrong, I'm just glad it is working better for you.

Here's to hoping it stays good for you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info