Performance issues + Windows 8 tackled as well ?

With desync now potentially being solved with the lockstep i'm wondering if the framedrops that still happen are looked at as well ? My pc should be good enough (BF4 Ultra zero problems) to run PoE without any problems but i still experience framedrops/stuttering (problem in the content pipeline of the engine?). So as a returning player i'm wondering are you gonna do something about this ?

The same goes for the problems/crashes with Windows 8 :/
Frame drops are not because of windows 8, even then should they spend the resources when many people will be getting moved to windows 10?
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Well my title is a bit unlucky maybe because they are seperate issues.

On the one hand there is the framedrops which in my opinion have gotten worse throughout the development of PoE. But this is on Windows 7 64bit and is more an engine related problem not so much OS from my point of view (like i said it seems to appear when assets need to be used that maybe aren't on hand or something).

But then there is also the crashes on Windows 8. If PoE ran fine on Windows 8 i wouldn't be using 7 anymore because this is the only game i have that doesn't function properly on 8. And while i agree with you about using the resources once i'm not convinced people will all transfer to win10 when it comes out. I wouldn't be surprised if more than 50% here still uses win7 so i woulnd't expect them to all go to 10 immediately.
I use Win 7 64 bit - PoE is smoooooth as butter on a 2 year old rig.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
Win 8 here, no problems at all.

Having said that though, its well known through out the community, that this game has some pretty shitty (lack of) optimization.
GGG - Why you no?
I run it without issues on my windows 8.1 laptop.
Well, if Windows shits you, try Linux.
Seriously.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"
Mikrotherion wrote:
Well, if Windows shits you, try Linux.
Seriously.

Try- but don't expect much. I got POE running* on a couple different distros, but unless you're very, and I mean very proficient with computers, you're not going to get that far with getting WINE/POL to work properly.

Also, 8.1 checking in; runs the same on win7.

as in, the program opened and I was able to kill a few things
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
Last edited by Antnee on Apr 17, 2015, 9:59:16 AM
Really? I mean, yes, I'm good with computers, but my latest experience was:
Install wine.
Download PoE.
Install PoE.
Run PoE.

That's with Wine 1.7.40..

The main issue was getting settings on the old machine that actually allowed playing.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
Last edited by Mikrotherion on Apr 17, 2015, 10:01:34 AM
"
Extrema wrote:
With desync now potentially being solved with the lockstep i'm wondering if the framedrops that still happen are looked at as well ? My pc should be good enough (BF4 Ultra zero problems) to run PoE without any problems but i still experience framedrops/stuttering (problem in the content pipeline of the engine?). So as a returning player i'm wondering are you gonna do something about this ?

The same goes for the problems/crashes with Windows 8 :/

The FPS issue is that the game requires high performance of specific functionality to perform well because of how the game engine is coded, and most integrated GPU's as well as laptop/budget GPU's tend to be lacking in this department.

A lot of modern games use other methods (A deferred rendering engine for example) to take advantage of modern video cards ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, this game, when development started, did not do that as it wasn't quite as common a practice back then (Development started before Nvidia's Geforce 8000 cards I believe, which were Nvidia's first video cards to emphasize parallel processing capabilities).

Implementing a deferred rendering engine now would in it self be a huge undertaking and a lot of visual assets wouldn't be compatible with the change and would need to be recreated as well. So the cost of fixing it would be exorbitant at the very least. It would drastically improve performance though.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Apr 17, 2015, 10:15:51 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info