In the market for a gaming laptop. Advice appreciated.

I'm considering a career change that would have me away from home twice as often. The only way I can see myself not going insane with this change, is to have the ability to game at the other end of the road. My budget is about $1500.

I know a tad about computer components but not much more. I purchased a gaming desktop from digital storm years ago and have been quite pleased with it. A friend of mine is recommending sager due to their upgradeability. This is something I would prefer to have.

So I would like something with a big screen, a good ssd, and upgradeability. I won't be playing any graphics demanding games. Mostly games like poe and wow.

I'd love to hear from those of you that have purchased gaming laptops recently or know someone that has. Thanks!
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
Last edited by Dragon585 on Apr 15, 2015, 6:31:36 PM
Step one: Waltz right back into OT like you haven't abandoned us.

Step two: Hell if I know. I'm old.
"
Moonyu wrote:
Step one: Waltz right back into OT like you haven't abandoned us.

Step two: Hell if I know. I'm old.

I didn't completely abandon you. I'm just months out of sync with OT. If it helps, I bleated at every full moon with gusto.
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
I'm using an MSI GE60 at the moment, its ok - will happily run most things at high settings with a comfortable 60fps.

Still doesn't handle heat very well though unless you turn on the fan boost, and that sounds like a small car trying to get up a steep hill.

EDIT: Mine has an 860, not a 960 though.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Apr 15, 2015, 6:44:35 PM
gaming ≠ laptop

choose one.

For 1500$ you ain't doing much gaming on a laptop

this ones nice but outve the budget

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232427
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Apr 15, 2015, 6:51:25 PM
What? I currently game on an older desktop with laughable specs compared to most of today's gaming laptops. As I said, I'm not looking to play the newest and hottest titles. I only need something with a large screen, an ssd, and preferably upgradeable.

I know a few people that actually quit buying desktops in favor of today's powerful laptops. So I'm not sure how gaming can't be done on a 1500 laptop.

Edit: I am just interested in others buying experiences. What brands and whatnot. But I think after researching a bit that it might be a moot point. Apparently, all gaming laptops are clevo/sager. The only difference is who puts them together.
DISCLAIMER!
Last edited by Dragon585 on Apr 15, 2015, 7:11:19 PM
"
Dragon585 wrote:
What? I currently game on an older desktop with laughable specs compared to most of today's gaming laptops. As I said, I'm not looking to play the newest and hottest titles. I only need something with a large screen, an ssd, and preferably upgradeable. I know a few people that actually quit buying desktops in favor of today's powerful laptops. So I'm not sure how gaming can't be done on a 1500 laptop.

Ok sure, wtv. You seem to know what you want. Why are you making a thread asking about it then?

"Gaming" is relative. Sure, you can play old stuff on just about any system.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
I probably did a poor job of describing what I'm after. You are correct. I do know what I want. I mean to ask people if they have had any good/bad experiences with certain companies or builds. That, and I'm not really sure who makes laptops that are fully upgradeable. Sorry for the confusion.
DISCLAIMER!
"
Dragon585 wrote:
I probably did a poor job of describing what I'm after. You are correct. I do know what I want. I mean to ask people if they have had any good/bad experiences with certain companies or builds. That, and I'm not really sure who makes laptops that are fully upgradeable. Sorry for the confusion.

MSI is a decent bet for modular styles. The issue is always price point. $1500 doesn't go nearly as far in a laptop as it can in a desktop. You can go with a Sager product but you're going to pay a premium for the modular pieces. And I'd only recommend doing that if you are extremely comfortable working with components.

Edit: that should have read non-modular for MSI. Too focused on the hockey game.
Nachos? Yes.
Last edited by Rowen_Edge on Apr 15, 2015, 9:33:51 PM
"
gavin4 wrote:
Have you seen these: http://gaminglaptopunder1000.org/best-gaming-laptop-under-1500-dollars/
You can't go wrong with the Asus Rog machine

Do the ASUS come with bloatware? That was one of the reasons I went with the MSI - it had nothing on it but windows and drivers.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info