About time to revisit the skill tree art design?

I've always been a huge fan of the original design, how it represents this nebulous, nonphysical character progression with very physical-looking filigree laid on top of a leather base.

But with jewels, we will be passing physical objects between this 'concept-zone' space to our inventories, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Assuming jewels are a gameplay mechanics way to represent the character socketing a gem into his or her flesh like several lore sources show others have done, I feel the best way to address the representation issue mentioned above would be to have the skill tree manifest as a part of the character's body. I have two style ideas to express this:

First style would be a sort of Leonardo Divinci-style diagram of the body, with the skill nodes and paths representing a generic 'chi paths' or power lines within the body. Jewel sockets could even have nice, filigree-laden 'settings', a sort of elegant way to set gems into one's flesh.

Second style would be a more harsh style, with the skill paths represented by tattoos, and jewel sockets being still-bloody holes carved in the character's flesh.

Another question would be size and placement of the tree. Ideally I'd like it to span across the human torso and parts of the upper limbs, but that might require significant alterations to the shape (and even structure) of the tree, so it might not be feasible. Other options include across the chest (maybe centered on the heart?), and around the mind, either covering the forehead or maybe a profile view of the head.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info