jewels discussion: bringing RNG and Economy to the Passive Tree

"
SirSid wrote:
Just got back to PoE yesterday as i was away at work for a while and wow what a interesting time to pop back in ;)

I do have some hesitation about this idea on 1 hand and just pure joy on the other. To start the potential for interesting new builds is stagaring, and specilized builds will become even more powerfull both are good things. But yes i do fear some level of RnG layered into this and also fear a "must have" gem just to make your build worth it ( im looking at you gem that lets you cherry pick a node not conected to the rest of your tree )

If we are abel to vaal orb them then some will always be expensive making a interesting curency sink for some and forcing others to have no chance at the 5-20 ex gem cost just for the tree. Only time will tell to early to say anything solid.

I actually think the "leap" Jewel is less broken than others shown in the previews.
but yes, the main idea of this thread is, there must surely be some other way to implement the idea of dynamic builds, without injecting RNG into the one place it hasn't been injected into (and for a good reason).
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
if they make them common and limit them to 2-4 stats then i think they would be ok no matte what.

In that sence you would be abel to alt/ regal almost anything you need or chaos spam.

The consern for me is if thare are powerfull rare or hard to get uniqus. If so that would be a instant problem for any build that wants to be top notch. this would layer to much RNG / trade into simply specing into your skills BEFORE gearing costs .

Still if they can avoid a up frount level of RNG , ie. letting us have them all at a low cost , we would still get a level of rng based on items that synergize with them. So the more i look at it the more i feel that the passive tree will be linked more to gearing than ever.

like if you want to go to a node on the tree will you be forced to get a serten jewel ? i can see that with that summoner 1 for sure what about cherry picking a crit node on the other side of the tree, or having dualists cherry pick dual curse , or what about mass stat stacking . Seems like the impact of this could be really crazy.
Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
Hmm, I think this should be more risk-reward oriented.

I apologize, I simply could not resist.
Loving the new avatars
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
A huge pro, that build-enabling jewels have over build-enabling uniques, is that you dont need to socket, link & chrom jewels :)

Maybe this game needs more jewels and less Shavronne. And while I see the concern, imo the rare, rollable jewels will be common enough (prob. even quest reward) to not make drastic rifts between SF & tradecore.

---
geeez.. everyone is copying my avatar now :p
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Apr 14, 2015, 4:56:09 PM
GGG can make unique jewels be reword from quests. Same as spell echo and other similar high level support gems. So people that dont care about trading and economy can get them.

I hope the unique ones are easier to get, but knowing GGG and that the most important thing for them is crappy economy, I somewhat doubt it.
"
miljan wrote:
GGG can make unique jewels be reword from quests. Same as spell echo and other similar high level support gems. So people that dont care about trading and economy can get them.

I hope the unique ones are easier to get, but knowing GGG and that the most important thing for them is crappy economy, I somewhat doubt it.

I already addressed this.
in the very unlikely event GGG will make all unique Jewels quest rewards, there will still be rare Jewels and blue Jewels for RNG and Economy to reign supreme. especially if (when) these will have "uber-rarity" modifiers. a.k.a "tyrannical stat/resistances/radius boost".

I don't want RNG and Economy in my tree.

yes, BMBI, my tree. or rather my character's tree. the one which defines my character like a DNA or a fingerprint. the one I created to define exactly what the character will be like.
full player control. no "dice" and no "offar?".

I'm all for dynamic builds as a concept, but ffs GGG, do not bring RNG here.
Last edited by johnKeys on Apr 15, 2015, 2:01:35 PM
The supremacy of RNGesus is now complete

@John keys you know you can buy them right, just like any other item just head over to PoE.trade
I dont see any any key!
If there was a node that gave an extra potion slot would you complain about that?
If they made a keystone called Monkey Feet that let you wear a second pair of gloves instead of boots would it upset you?
The jewel sockets are just additional gear slots you have to spend passive points to get.
It isn't like the game is going to start assigning points for you at random or giving every character a random tree.
You still weigh the options, you still make the choice.

Besides I think it is going to result in a lot more tree stability going forward.
It is no longer only about 1D connections; 2D relative positioning will matter.
GGG is going to have much less freedom with future changes.

When I kill a man he stays dead.
"
mucker wrote:

You still weigh the options, you still make the choice.

you used bad examples because your suggested nodes and keystones are deterministic. meaning they are already there, and you can choose to pick them up or not, depending on what you want to do with your character.

here, what is most likely to happen is either go on poe.trade and "WTB Monkey Feet Keystone", or pull hair out of your buttocks in desperation as RNG trolls the crap out of you, hoping you'd eventually drop the Monkey Feet.

in this game, you - in most cases - already have to adjust to whatever RNG gives you in terms of gear and gems, so the choice isn't entirely yours.
now that choice will become even more limited and dictated by everyone's favourite dice, as RNG barges into your Skill Tree as well.

do you really need an absolute extreme example like "game assigning points at random", to imagine why RNG in the Tree is bad?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info