jewels discussion: bringing RNG and Economy to the Passive Tree

"

You forgot to respond to me though, it's okay, I'll wait :)

I hope you realize, planting RNG in my tree then saying "why are you limiting yourself?", is basically like kicking me in the nuts, then saying "why did you allow me to kick you in the nuts?".

@GooberM, let's just say your odds of chancing a Unique Strongbox, are pretty similar to seeing it appear "in the wild".
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Apr 13, 2015, 9:30:26 PM
John, currently we know a jewel can have 4 stats. (not sure if this is confirmed anywhere though?)

but if this assumption is indeed correct, it imply's that these can be crafted extremely easily and affordable.

Trans/aug/allt for 2 modifiers of your liking.

Regal

then exalt/master craft (once a jewel master is implemented most likely)

Not going to say this will be "cheap" but it will be "easy" it's some easy farming and rolling a medium tier jewel until you get some new funds to roll a better one.

So just like master crafting has opened up the game, these jewels will have a similar "low threshold" effect.

Obviously the top rolled ones will be expensive, but they will not be needed to play the game just like all other double digit exalt gear.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
We'll really have to wait and see how much "better" a rare jewel is from a common one.

I tend to agree with keys here that it seems to be a bad idea in general. D3 played with "random" skills and dropped it. It just caused too much frustration.
The greatest feature on game for me is to adapt, learn and adjust to the drastic changes/addition to the content. That the one i truely enjoy in wreaclast
(Location):PH
Duelist is kylo ren -_-
Last edited by saintshield07 on Apr 13, 2015, 9:54:41 PM
The jewels are Diablo 2 charms, and the jewel slots are charm slots you spend a skill point on.
FYI: It's not a fantasy story, it's a cosmic horror story.
I don't think it really matters all that much. Indirectly at least, RNG already affects your tree. If you don't get enough resists or some other stat from your gear, you'll need to get it from a passive or two. If you find gear that does have those stats, you can put those points somewhere else instead. So is this really THAT different?
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
We'll really have to wait and see how much "better" a rare jewel is from a common one.

it matters little. what is a "common Jewel" anyway? can you tell me with 100% certainty, that by the time I have X Passive Points to travel from the starting location to a Jewel Socket, I'll have a "common Jewel" to put there?
skill points, are deterministic: level up or do a quest => you get one.
Jewels will not be fully deterministic, even if some of them will be quest rewards.
unless all of them will be quest rewards, which clearly cannot happen.

@Hodari,
that's a good point. but maybe I want a Glass Cannon type of character that cares little about resistances and grabs offense-nodes instead of defense-ones?
the point is with a static Passive Tree, I have full control. for better and for worse. if I want to destroy my build instead of optimizing it for "end-game" and whatnot - I can do just that. it's my choice. my tree.
put RNG in my tree, and the choice is no longer fully mine.

the absolute extreme case would obviously be RNG deciding if you get a Skill Point for leveling up, or not, and/or making you go on trade-chat and say "WTB 10 Skill Points. 1 Exalt".
but RNG/trade-Jewels in the tree - despite presenting the very interesting concept of "dynamic builds" - are also, sadly, a step in that direction.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Apr 13, 2015, 10:20:28 PM
I have no doubt bis rare jewels will be a boon for rmt if the stat ceiling is high or if they become needed to build "endgame" builds.

Jewels should work like some build enabling uniques(interesting gameplay addition and maybe a drawback) rather than massive stat sticks.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
this act is getting old
For all your up-to-date Path of Exile news and events, check out the official Path of Exile Forum here -------- http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/
Just got back to PoE yesterday as i was away at work for a while and wow what a interesting time to pop back in ;)

I do have some hesitation about this idea on 1 hand and just pure joy on the other. To start the potential for interesting new builds is stagaring, and specilized builds will become even more powerfull both are good things. But yes i do fear some level of RnG layered into this and also fear a "must have" gem just to make your build worth it ( im looking at you gem that lets you cherry pick a node not conected to the rest of your tree )

If we are abel to vaal orb them then some will always be expensive making a interesting curency sink for some and forcing others to have no chance at the 5-20 ex gem cost just for the tree. Only time will tell to early to say anything solid.

Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info