An idea. Good/bad/old news or just plain silly?

Disclaimer: I'm a softcore player barely out of his PoE diapers (I have played around 350 hours total). Keep that in mind if this seems really stupid. My idea could also be very old news I just didn't know had been done before.

Ok, so this might be the lack of sleep talking, since it's five-forty in the morning, but I've spent the last 1½ hour on the PoE wiki hammering out an possibly silly idea. I haven't the faintest if it's any good, so that's why I'm writing this. This all started with the idea of playing dual non-crit shockwave totems. Because there's already a neat crit-SWT build, so I figured I'd think of something else.

Now, this meant either Soul Mantle or Ancestral Bond. I didn't really care for that lvl 20 curse and I wanted to try and use Carcass Jack, so Ancestral Bond was the choice. So I start of by making a rough sketch of the skill tree, grabbing AoE nodes, life, resist, totem stuff, some plain spell damage, some plain physical damage. It feels like a neat start, but a bit... lacking.

So I'm sitting there, thinking of how I could use the knockback on SWT, which obviously lead to Puncture. Since I want 2 SWT, I can't use a ranged attack totem, which means it'll have to be a Puncture Trap. Which in turn lead me to find the Chin Sol-Point Blank-Puncture-Trap setup after some brief investigation. Traps apparently roll to hit, but since we're going non-crit we can just use Resolute Technique. It also happens to be affected by stuff like Path of the Warrior or Master of Force, which were picked to boost SWT in the first place.

Now I'm not sure if the Trap gem requires you to have a ranged weapon equipped only when you place your mine, or if you have to wield it constantly. If you do, I guess Hyrri's Bite would be the best quiver to use. I mean, we're not using the Chin Sol to shoot, but the +stats and the 10% increased radius of area skills could be useful.

Puncture lead me, in turn, to Vulnerability which increase physical damage taken and damage over time. Being a curse, it also happens to benefit from our already picked AoE passives.

So I guess the idea I'm thinking is:
Step 1: Spam SWT's.
Step 2: If something scary show up, throw a Puncture Trap at it.
Step 3: Double-dip on Vulnerability since it works with both SWT and Puncture.
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit.

As far as I understand, this ought to work since traps work alongside Ancestral Bond.

Opinions, thoughts or concerns with my sleep-deprived hodgepodge of an character idea?
Please let me know.

PS: "Just play tornado shot-puncture". No. I already have a lvl 66 ranger doing that.
The idea you have could be plausible. You might have a hard time getting your Puncture traps to do decent damage, in addition to keeping SWT damage good, but I don't really know. Crown of Eyes would probably help massively, depending on how much spell damage you have; though getting one is quite expensive. Chin Sol, however, is fairly cheap.

For attributes, I think the hardest part is getting enough dexterity to use Chin Sol. You could probably use a Jade Amulet with +Dex on it or something for that.

My opinion on the whole build? Try it out for yourself, and see how far you can take it.
For thy actions, thou shall be cursed, and thy stash tabs shall be forever tangled and
beyond comprehension
Using a bow might not be the best idea. You loose a considerable amount of spell damage and cast speed that you usually have on your wands/wand-shield. I'ld rather not nerf my main skill for the sake of a support skill.

You could use a dagger instead. You still would loose the cast speed mod but should be able to retain 80-100% increased spell damage with a shield.
The problem here is that you won't have as much physical damage per hit with a dagger as with a bow. A good physical damage dagger (per hit, not due to high attack speed) that also has spell damage is hard to get. You'll have to spend some currency on crafting or trading to get one that doesn't leave your puncture skill lacking in damage.
just plain silly.
#31 of Rampage League after 7 days played.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info