Evasion Viability - Suggestions

I keep hearing that Evasion is not a viable defense through endgame, because it tends to become more of a Percent Chance to not die. I have found that with a proper build this doesn't have to be the case.

Since the beginning of Beta I have started and killed at least 6 Evasion / LoH Rangers in Hardcore mode, tweaking my build and studying the Passive Tree options as I go. So far the best viable strategy I have found is as follows for a Ranger:

1.) Evasion Armor, Gloves, Boots, Helm, Spike Shield, and Claw.
2.) Rush to Arrow Dodging to cut out Ranged Damage
3.) Double Strike + Blind as Main Attack (Both hits give life, Blind makes you virtually untouchable by Melee)
4.) Whirling Blades to thin out larger crowds and for quickly getting out of trouble.
5.) Fire Trap for AoE and further crowd thinning.
6.) Max out Resists as soon as possible to protect against Spell damage, as most is Elemental.
7.) Forgo DPS nodes for evasion, life, and resists until after you get past Vaal.

The weaknesses of this build seem to come from Melee attackers with high physical damage, Archers The Projectile Weakness Curse, Suicides, and the "Vaal Constructs". I found that Spiked shields will help with Melee attackers and not sacrifice too much defense, and Flasks with Curse Immunity will, with some practice, help counter act PW archer mobs, and a decoy or summon will deter suicide squads, but the constructs seem to be a little OP, as I'll explain now.

This build works fine for me and seems to have a pretty challenging, yet manageable progression until you hit the Vaal Ruins and the Ancient Pyramid. when the constructs start to appear. These enemies seem to be unaffected by my evasion, telling me that their attack is spell based, and not a "projectile". Also their damage seems to be a mix of Chaos and Physical Damage, meaning that the resists of a build like this provides no protection at all. they move quickly, making the melee attacks of my character difficult to land, and they move seemingly at random preventing successful fire trap attacks, though they do have low life, so hit and run tactics work well, and using them is the only way to get through the Pyramid successfully.

The problem comes when I hit Vaal himself. I have fought him multiple times, and am more than familiar with his attacks. The problem comes when he starts spawning the adds. 2-3 hits from the constructs, and BOOM dead, every time. The only time I have been able to defeat him is by partying up with 4-5 other players of higher level and basically watching them kill him.

The last time through, I continued the progression of my character through Cruel Act 1 on Default, and it followed a progression similar to that of Act 1 - Act 2, on Normal. It was challenging, but manageable. The only reason I believe that something is broken here is because with a normal progression I am able to take out Piety with comparative ease, but Vaal is next to indestructible, even at 5-6 levels above suggested and trading for higher gear than I am supposed to have at this point in the game.

Suggestions for modifying constructs:

1.) Make their attacks "projectiles" instead of spells.
2.) OR Make their Damage type a mix of Elemental/Physical or Elemental/Chaos, so that some protection is provided by this builds defenses.
3.) OR Slow their movement speed, increase their HP, and lower their DPS to bring it in line with other enemies, so that they are not glass cannons.

Any combination of these would bring the difficulty of the Vaal fight for evasion based characters in line with the rest of the difficulty progression of the game, and not nerf it to the point of easy for everyone else.

Thank you.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info