Stuck on level 54 ( Witch, Act 2, Merciless ), need help with gear

I keep losing exp because I'm dying too much :c
My current gear

Also, I have 26 chaos, 2 regret, 1 regal, 1 gpm, 7 alch and 5 scouring so if anyone is willing to sell me something that will help me then reply to this thread or PM me please, thanks !
Basically way too low life from passive tree (that's not how you do a tree in PoE). And too low life from gear (just because it's orange/bronze doesn't mean it's good). Top it off, you have no active defenses (like block, dodge, AA, anything).

Also, lots of your skills are unsupported or supported only with 1 gem.

I'm pretty impressed you made it that far tbh. I'll get back at this in couple of hours if no one else has given any advice.
1) I die a lot, because u wasted many many points on 10 stats nodes, and took to many other points in with area. U need to get out there and get more life. While u seam to try and go life/es hybrid, u have very bad gear for it. Either u commit to it and use all gear with es and life, or u save the points for es and get more life. Unnecessary points and es would give u 14 extra points to spent for other goodies. Plues 4 points to breath of flames, very bed investment, if u dont really do ignite proliferation. At witch start u either go 3 cast speed nodes or 3 10 spell dmg nodes, not both.

This is how the tree, based on urs, with freed up points would look like.

u seam to be a new player, that's why i would definitely recommend to go life eldritch battery build for caster.

2) from a look at ur gear, u probably have minus lighting resists and barely over 0 with cold and fire. Merciless is designed in a way, in which u need high resistances (better caped). For 1-2c per slot u can buy pretty good gear, which u can upgrade in very late game (lvl 85+ doing 77+ maps). I would suggest to use a shield with high resistances, while u lvl and still dont have ur gear set up. So u have all 3 ele resists caped and got life on each piece of gear.

3) at ur lvl u should use at very least 3 linked spells, better 3 links in a +1/2/3 gems weapon or a 4L. I would suggest to buy a cheap 5L for few chaos and use a five link. Use clarity, heralds of thunder and ice, this 2 heralds will give u more dmg, than haste and cost lest reserved mana.

Also i would recommend to limit urself to 2 vaal skills. For one kill u get 1 soul for 1 charge for 1 of the skills, not all 3, so it takes ages to charge all 3 and in the meantime u chage zones and need to start charging again.
Last edited by 1337fun on Apr 7, 2015, 12:56:03 PM
So I should just create a new char since I can't reset the tree ? Or will buying a new gear be enough ? Thanks :>

PS: My defenses atm are: 75% fire, 27% cold, -29% lighting and -60% chaos ... lol ( + 1229 HP and 547 armor )
Last edited by extenz1337 on Apr 7, 2015, 1:49:49 PM
You'd want to be over 2k life and have capped or almost capped resistances at merciless (excluding chaos).

Make a new character, salvaging that tree would take a lot of regrets and it's not worth it. If you don't want to "mess up" again, look up some guide on the class forum section. There's likely a free respec coming with 1.4. so you can go back and re-do your character in about a month or so if you feel like it.
"
Grughal wrote:
You'd want to be over 2k life and have capped or almost capped resistances at merciless (excluding chaos).

Make a new character, salvaging that tree would take a lot of regrets and it's not worth it. If you don't want to "mess up" again, look up some guide on the class forum section. There's likely a free respec coming with 1.4. so you can go back and re-do your character in about a month or so if you feel like it.

Alright, I'll make a new character then. Thanks !
My advice is to stop it with the magic finding/ item quantity gear, and just find some good rares to use. It's rather pointless to do magic finding before you're able to do moderate quantity maps anyway.

Once you are able to do level 70 maps with 80% increased quantity ,then you can start thinking about adding magic find gear. That's my opinion xD

OR at the very least wait until you can clear City of Sarn Merciless. You can actually get some decent stuff to drop and there is usually a decent amount of boxes that appear there too.
You should craft some more sockets on your gear. Use Juweller's Orbs on the items to do so. If you do not have any, sell items with 6 sockets you don't need to an NPC to get 7 orbs in return. Once the item has its max slots you'll get a chat message about it. Then use some Fusings to get the slots linked and Chromatics to roll the color you want. If you don't have Chromatics, sell items (of any color, white, blue, yellow) with at least three RGB linked slots to NPCs to get one Chromatic in return. If you don't have Fusings, the way to get them is pretty expensive: you'll have to get Vorici to level 6 and then he'll sell you 20 Fusings for 64 Jeweller's. There seems to be no other recipe for Fusings than that.

For survivability and according to your skill tree you focused on fire dmg, I recommend to use Firestorm in a 4Link item, be it linked with Fire Penetration and some added Cold/Lightning/Chaos or Curse on Hit and a curse like Flammability or Warlord's Mark for the leech. Second, I highly recommend to use a Spell Totem+Frost Wall+Faster Casting+x setup, when you're soloing. Third, use a Cast when Damage taken + Molten Shell + Arctic Armour/Curse/Freeze Mine/Conversion Trap/Rejuvenation Totem or Enduring Cry+Immortal Call setup. If you don't have the Cwdt gem yet, cast Molten Shell and Arctic Armour manually. I also suggest to equip a Lightning Warp gem, to be able to teleport away quickly. Fourth, use a shield instead of a second wand.

I put 6 points away from your skill tree to get some more life nodes. If you have enough respec points left you can reskill other points on your own:
Spoiler
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMAAuMEBwelCPQNjRBYES0bJRzcHwIfxyGwIvQqjSt4LJwtRy2LLpQyNDT3Ntg6WESrSRtJskuuUEJVrlXGVytfKmpDbAttGXRVfll_xoIQg9uHZYw2j6aXhZ1jpLGsmK-3vOq9gsBU2Vvfit-w5Y7pAuvk7FXxbP6zVUth4iaVEZYHHpUu

I suggest to skill further to the Templar Area on the left side, there are many useful defensive nodes to find.
"
extenz1337 wrote:

Oh my... :D Where do I begin?
1) First of, you don't want to go mana, hp AND ES.
2) You have taken way too many nodes at the start of Witch
3) You need capped resists... and FAR more HP, if you are going to build for HP
4) ... or you need far more ES, if you are going for ES (I don't recommend that for first character, tho). Focus on one thing, else you won't get enough points to be good at any.
5) +10 stat nodes are usually not worth getting. Target some tasty notable nodes (the big ones, not the largest. For example, Fire Walker is a notable) and go towards them.
6) Much more, but really, can't address all of it in one post :P

Ps. Use poe.trade to buy some gear, use jewelers on "worthy" items to get sockets, and fuses to get links
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Apr 8, 2015, 7:12:08 AM
When you make your next character, keep a few things in mind.

Armour, evasion or energy shield are not adequate defense by themselves. Plan for some other form of additional defense. Such as: endurance charges, shield block, mind over matter, dodge etc.

If you make a life build. Get the life stat on each piece of gear. Aim to pick up most of your % increased life nodes before getting into maps.

Plan for most of your added damage nodes to be picked up at later levels, as the enemies gain more life in late game. A balance is needed.

Whichever gear you'll use (Eva, arm or ES) spend points to buff that stat. Gear that isn't augmented by your tree is less useful than it can be.
Where there's one they're bound to divide it right in two.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info