Whats the Best Defence for Melee Characters?

Armor?
Evasion + Armor?
Evasion + Armor with Iron Reflexes and Grace?
Evasion?
High Damage to kill everything faster?
Block and Dodge?

I mean if u play Cleave or Dual Strike Where should u focus apart from many life nodes?

Stacking only armor i think is not that good because the phys damage reduction cant be scaled well at high levels like after 50%
On the other side its not easy to focus on 2 defences like both armor and evasion...So whats the best formula to sustain high damage as a melee close range character?

Also can u help me with the tree and tell me if iam doing something wrong?Its dual wielding build

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAOyi-vAOWguRuPZARYEOKr4MJSshuqrXyqW41km20Kjh4DWxG_o_YvagHvopYr3JsTeP-CmeAAdw26DIJplfyRYTZZKMB5zGeOuFHfq5QFE2nML02_mv8S57NZU0Tybyf0iG-p2WnGJHyQVcNGbSCB9lhytOtjYVSLOnPfptqpo3dDXasi091Tluv6hgoKmXwTir465d5KaXBo-RRTjJQRxfh7w4m-BNMFCCeV3Z_fuCExHuM9zJyqVWpl7RqAayqWfPAGho4kFUnL2BBY3A=

its a debatable thing, theres no correct answer as its based on opinion mostly.

imo, armour + evasion with ondars + endurance chargers is the best setup, preferably with a fair amount of life regen and if you can get some block on top then go for it.
The easiest one to pull off is probably evasion + acrobatics, but you're in the wrong part of the tree for that and high block with dual-wielding isn't as easy as it was.

You already went the route of armor stacking so it would probably be easiest to continue doing it, but you got to go ham on it to be truly amazing.

So, what you need is this:
Lightning coil
6 or 7 endurance charges
Soul of steel cluster
Iron reflexes
Grace

The key to this combo are lightning coil and endurance charges, LC splits incoming physical damage so your armor mitigation is calculated with only 70% of incoming phys, making it more effective. Endurance charges with soul of steel add further 28-32% unconditional mitigation onto whatever the result is, driving it past 70-80% for most hits. All this is not hard to do in your part of the tree and results are very good.

Of course, you could just go immortal call and solve all problems, but I got no idea how long will that continue working as good as it currently is.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Iam already playing Iron Reflexes with Grace and the results arent that good!I mean i canot evade attacks and to sustain high level maps monters damage and especially bosses damage its too difficult..

I mean i understand lighting coil is a good option but it is mostly used by no armor builds to sustain damage like builds for Witches or Spellcasters in general..I dont get it!Melee has the disadvantage of not being safe because u attack too close to the monsters and also u cant have good defences?
Last edited by pro17 on Apr 6, 2015, 7:12:35 PM
Correct me if iam wrong: If i have 50% phys damage reduction and something like 20% chance to evade attacks is like 55% physical damage reduction with Iron Reflexes..So it cant be a good option..So using Iron Reflexes doesnt make any sense except if I was getting something like 60 or 65 % physical damage reduction..

When i pop my flasks the armor goes at nealry 27k and i get that 72 physical damage reduction for just 3 seconds..I really dont know guys its too complicated what way melee shall be played..
"
Iam already playing Iron Reflexes with Grace and the results arent that good!

Of course they aren't, you're missing pretty much everything else from the list. High armor score is far from great, LC isn't all that awesome on its own and endurance charges aren't exactly omnipotent. However, those three things have a very strong synergy, it's better than the sum of its parts.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
As already stated, one or two defenses are simply insufficient.

Now if you have a lot of armor, evasion, 7 e-charges, Ondar's, and capped resistances, you'll be very tanky. Not to mention you get another 3k base armor and evasion when you use Granite and Jade flasks.
This is all the defenses I had on my torment melee character. No defense auras, evasion nodes, or armor nodes. I could just walk up to temple piety and whack her. Guess it's pretty expensive though.

Me myself who have played a lot of meele the last 2 Leagues would recommend armour , you need to get about 20-30k , preferably soul of steel cluster With 6-7 endurance charges , make it so Your Return attacks (Vengeance,riposte,Reckoning) are linked With damage and endurance charge on meele stun , if enough damage add life on hit aswell.

Put up a high Level cwdt-immortalcall-incduration-whatever curse you want (warlords mark , vulnerability,temp Chains,enfeeble) or og for a molten Shell/Cold snap if thats Your thing.

This Makes most of the game very easy , just keep an eye out for Dangerous mods (added Cold/fire/Lightning) cannibals and Dangerous eledmg combinations.

Most People will disagree With me though , but it's a very comfortable way of playing.
First of all thank you for giving me advice!

Now i think i decided what iam gonna do to improve my survivability.
Step 1:I'll be playing both armor and evasion
Step 2:I'll buy Lightning Coil chest for this 30 or 40%
Step 3:I'll pick up Ondars guile Keystone
Step 4:I'll pick up Soul of Steel for the armor boost and more End Charges!

I think this tree will work better and ill have better defence with Armor//Evasion Gear!

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAvryC5JARiq9KyD8nbqoqTbXyFSCpbjWSbbQs6XgNbEbYvagHr6emjVivcmxngPajdU426DIJ73pl8AHn034UTe_j_EsDh7yfG62VZhiROlIOPBv6FHEl3_jr2Xy2LOoYwaO77YIHpBn3MnasTjKRznKpz34X4ayqVamtjSb4WfOXtNlhE0zAGp8-agGFUho4LdKbapBVi08nLygql3nkUVBH7w4UIASxTGCjiiP2TZKNfTB8fyvWin11_rrK0xm0vqdlTb02R35gQWNwfVusR2SjrlD-axPJZacaVWEhEuE=

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info