Why marauder is so squishy ?

Hi guys,

while I'm training for races making a lot of characters with different classes and builds, I feel like marauder is the class who dies most often on realy early game.

I rip my maras so easyly than i feel forced to play too much defensive, getting coral ring instead of iron but it dosen't change anything : stupids and incredibly quick rips.

can you guys give me some advices ?

I want to add some details:

I'm not very good for racing but it pleases me a lot.
I train especially for the one-hour races.
My builds are purely offensive and operating as intended.
My best result is to reach level 20 in one hour, killing brutus in 16 minutes and 35 for Merveil.Most of my runs are without mule and without QS because I train fast brutus kill at the same time I train one hour race.

So, why do I have almost no problem with all other classes ? even duelist wich is melee as well makes me feel to be so easy for comparison...

I'm not asking only for advices but also for some kind of axplanation and discussion about this fact that marauder who is supposed to be a strong and enduring melee class dies early game so easyly because of getting hited by two rocks and/or a goatman's leapslam... (and i don't stay in the middle of packs of mobs without moving and sidestepping).

I'm getting really mad because of all those stupid rips i had. So mad that i suspect almost an error in programmation for this class ! (joking but crying).

Thank you for your attention
Last edited by Muetdhiver on Apr 7, 2015, 3:47:56 AM
The Marauder feels squishy in early levels because of the lack of Dexterity and Evasion combined with melee gems only. I'd suggest to not skill the offensive nodes but the defensive ones and grab some dex nodes too. And use Molten Strike, a 1H and a Shield (unless you get a really good 2H) as main attack.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAFCAx-z38UEdYY18_f-OMz8bY5FHvDvZI

According to your advice I've tried to aim at evasion stuff, and indeed that's better !

Molten strike is cool but not as strong as cleave in term of aoe, can't afford to spend 4 to 6 hit to clear a pack when cleave needs just 1 or 2, so i kept my physical damage passive nodes with vesratility.

Staff is also helpfull.

Btw thank you for helping.
For racing and self-found runs I actually like going dual claws for marauder. It instantly solves any health problems and you can focus on getting more damage and resistances.

This is what I like to use early game:

2x nailed fist (upgrade to awls, then cat's paws)
2x iron rings
coral ammy
rustic sash
armour based boots, gloves, helm (body optional)

gems take this:
Static strike
Decoy
anger
added fire (or accuracy if not getting RT asap. Ps I like the accuracy nodes more than taking RT, and getting those + accuracy gem will cap you at 95% always pretty much)

You don't need to take a lot of damage nodes early on to get through quickly. You can kill Brutus in 10 seconds using white claws. All the damage nodes are physical and you stand just as much chance of finding a great elemental weapon as you do a physical one, in which case your damage nodes will be partially wasted. Of course phys would be optimal but you don't always get lucky. You can do the rustic sash recipe if you think it's worth it.

With static strike and dual claws you're getting 6 life on hit + 6 per aoe hit which is waaay better than flasks or leech, and awls more than double that once you get to level 12. I like to take unwavering stance and the life leech/gain nodes as soon as possible to make it even more reliable. The main things that will get you killed quickly are stun, freeze and playing badly. If you get unwavering, freeze resist and play cautiously you wont die.

Hope that helps you.
Last edited by PigeonSmasher on Apr 8, 2015, 11:39:36 AM
Man, you opened my eyes. I was underestimating static strike that I tried quickly in the begening. It's a really cool hit and run skill with one handed weapons and now it opens news perspectives.
Thank you for this tip.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info