Another Uber Fail - Any Advice?

Hey guys. So I made another run at Alluring Abyss and failed pretty spectacularly. I will detail my build and then the ways that I died. I appreciate any advice.

My current build is a modification of the common Poison Trap build. The biggest change is that I use Mines instead of Traps. All of the content in the game aside from Alluring Abyss is no problem. I run lvl 24 Arctic armor right now, but can sustain 26 if I get a lucky corrupt.

Statistics

Tree

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMABx4I9A5ID6sRlhHCFSAWvxjbGbQe8CLiI18mlSepKaUqTSzpNZI2PT1fPydHBkd-R-JJE0lRSshLV03jTipOm1FMUlNSr1M1VUtXK1uvXfJh4mKsZU1n_GpDaxdsjG0ZbWxuaW6qb55wUXTxdm99W36wf8aCHoMJhNmFMongj_qTH5UglS6X9Ju1naqd2aBDoqOkOac0rEetSrTFtUi18rd1u0286r02vYK-p8BUwOPBxcHzwzrKSsrTy73QgdDQ1fjYVNi92eDbC9vn3Q3dX9-K5ljmgekC8NXxs_b8_gr-j_6z

Equipment

My equipment is far from ideal, but I think overall it is pretty solid. I've tried to shop around in standard, but I only have 8 ex to my name so I am not really in a position to upgrade. Also I know I can upgrade some gems, specifically I would really benefit from a lvl 21 Poison Arrow, but I have never been able to corrupt or buy that item.

My Uber Deaths:

The Uber trash is not a problem as long as I am careful. I just fight from range using conversion trap and Poison Arrow. The real problem lies with the Double Vaal Machines. The Vaal machines killed me four times. Two of the deaths were from the Lightning Arc, I just died from the spray even with Lightning resist potion and chugging seething flask. One death happened when I walked down the stairs and just died (don't know what happened) and one death was from a laser shot, it stunned me and then follow on damage killed me. My second two deaths occurred at the trio. I killed Cyclone Guy first, then the Ranged Lady, leaving the energy shield guy for last. The first two went down easy, then the last guy one shot me twice in a row. He was at less than 1/2 life.

I think that the Trio is doable with some luck, but right now the Vaal machines are just too tough for my character. The biggest problem is that the lightning arc is basically an automatic death.

So that's it. I know that I can improve by leveling gems and upgrading equipment, but I kind of feel that this build is a dead end and has no hope of regularly clearing Uber. What do you guys think?

Thank you in advance.

PS - Here is my last fail toon for reference:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1084952
I think the main problem is your low resists - 75 all resists is not much. If you get to Atziri and she hits you with a double flameblast (of course that should never happen ^^) you will die even with 100% fire resist because the bitch has some nasty penetration. I'm not sure if the vaals have penetration too but even without penetration 75 resist is not enough. I do trio in the same order as you. The last guy hits like a truck when he is in enraged mode so you should never approach him while he is enraged. Even when he is not enraged he is a hard hitter, when you don't have any serious dmg mitigration - I would try popping a "taste of hate" and a "granite flask of iron skin" and an "atziri flask" (but with your low chaos resist the "atziri flask" is maybe not an option). Hmmm... maybe "taste of hate" & "rumi's" & "jade flask of iron skin" would be a better choice for you.
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
Last edited by 666lol666 on Apr 5, 2015, 12:43:15 PM
You have a very strange setup and seem to have a number of problems.

1. How much life do you have? You have life on all gear save both hands, one ring, and chest. That's still a lot of missing life. I'd switch Voideye for a ring with life and ES for Atziri, if she's killing you. That tiny bit of life might just save you. In total you're missing up to 300 life (with perfect gear, counting the use of a shield or quiver with life and not counting something like Redbeak). Base life, actually, which can yield up to 800 life after increases. An upgraded amulet can yield up to 60 more. I may be more strict, but I consider anything under a 75% roll "trash". 75% meaning of the entire possible range of all mods that give that value.

2. Molten Shell, Decoy Totem, and Raise Spectre are not good defensive proc gems. I'd suggest Frost Wall (stops all non-piercing projectiles and melee attacks, except Cyclone), Summon Skeletons (not a really good one, imo), Enfeeble, Temporal Chains, Rejuvenation Totem, Devouring Totem, Spell Totem + Spell (like frost wall, summon skeletons, etc), or a few others. They'll serve far better overall, and actually be of use against bosses like Atziri. Decoy Totem will not stop her massive AOEs from still hitting you, but Devouring Totem can recover life that you will eventually lose.

3. Self-cast IC and EC. Plug in Spell Echo and Faster Casting to EC and get twice as many charges twice as quickly. Then use IC + Faster Casting + Increased Duration + Enhance to maximize the duration of IC. You'll get a higher percentage of up-time and that provides more time to generate e-charges. There is definitely no reason to rely on CWDT/CWS to proc EC/IC when you're using traps. Your traps need to recharge; use this time to get your physical immunity.

4. What's your DPS like? Are you having trouble killing Atziri? Low damage is a huge problem for survivability, especially for traps/mines. If you want to stick with mines, try switching to Burning Arrow, add in Ele Prolif, and Fire Penetration. This will give you a massive AOE capability while keeping a considerable single target attack. For Atziri, try using Ice Shot, Puncture, Frenzy, or other bow skills. Poison Arrow only adds 55% of your physical as chaos, which is reduced to ~13.75% after Atziri's chaos res (assuming resistant monsters have a resistance of 75%), leaving you at 113.75% of normal damage (100% as physical, 13.75% as chaos). Your best bet might be Tornado Shot, however. It can deal 115% base at level 26, according to the wiki. After LMP/GMP, and without physical increases, you'd deal 80.5% per projectile with LMP, or 57.5 with GMP. If you can control TS well, you can easily get four or more projectiles to hit each time, resulting in ~200% total damage. I'd take off Remote Mine for this, though.

5. Leech and LGOH are a huge part of survivability in this game, as flasks only work for life/mana and are limited by charges. Getting rid of traps and mines would help your survivability considerably. This is the biggest factor in beating bosses.
- You are PA, so you can't really increase your dps to the levels where you're going to kill these bosses before they can do anything. This suggests to me that you need to increase your survivability to the point where you are comfortable.
- I think you could benefit greatly from a second curse -> Enfeeble. Since your amulet is not amazing, you should easily be able to get/craft a similar one with +1 curse.
- You didn't post your flasks, but since you're using the block quiver, a Rumi's will probably do wonders for you vs the trio. Vs the first boss, you may want to swap in Purity of Lightning. Combined with Enfeeble you will take a lot less damage.
- You may also want to think about using another Vaal skill on swap, the skeletons won't help you much vs the lightning balls. Vaal Grace for spell dodge, or Vaal Lightning Trap to kill them faster maybe.

what's the point wearing that 6L CI chest? get a carcass jack for more dps, mana, and life.

and why are ppl giving him advice on normal atziri? he's asking for uber help, and sadly i don't think PA is viable for it. you won't have enough dps to get through the adds phase.
IGN: Kills_La_Killz (Standard)
IGN: UnlimitedBladeWork (Warband)
Last edited by 07Ghost on Apr 6, 2015, 3:54:07 AM
+1 to above posts, many good advices.
On atziri herself, she's feasible with 1 hp, so the problem is in your lack of knowledge of her patterns. Getting the acro nodes would give you a bit of buffer for errors, and a PA build is still sustainable with acro, just don't use AA.

On PA setup: remote mine is just noway! It's too slow and dangerous to setup against Atziri. Use trap at last or just shoot arrows at her, it will be a lot safer.
Also I don't get why you don't use Drillneck ; it's the BiS quiver in PA builds. So, revised setup : PA, Empower, Pierce, Concentrated Effect, Increase AOE, Slower projectile.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
"
On PA setup: remote mine is just noway! It's too slow and dangerous to setup against Atziri.

? Base mine laying and trap throwing speeds are equal (0.5 seconds I think) and he has the instant detonate node.

Few more things:

VS Vaals you might want to use a movement skill like Blink Arrow and try to learn to dodge the lightning balls completely.
VS trio the easiest way is long Immortal Calls as mentioned above, you are right next to some duration nodes and can swap in Kaom rings and Endu Charge belt for that 1 fight.

"
Zed_ wrote:
"
On PA setup: remote mine is just noway! It's too slow and dangerous to setup against Atziri.

? Base mine laying and trap throwing speeds are equal (0.5 seconds I think) and he has the instant detonate node.

Few more things:

VS Vaals you might want to use a movement skill like Blink Arrow and try to learn to dodge the lightning balls completely.
VS trio the easiest way is long Immortal Calls as mentioned above, you are right next to some duration nodes and can swap in Kaom rings and Endu Charge belt for that 1 fight.

It doesn't matter if you have the instant detonation. What is required is the Clever Construction notable, preventing traps from being damaged for five seconds after being created.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info