The Covenant - Theorycrafting

Yes, this armor is not good. Yes, it needs to be buffed. Yes, it will not be optimal compared to other options. Now that we've gotten that out of the way...

I still want to figure out how to make it work. It's an interesting unique with a bunch of counter-intuitive effects that makes it really hard to work with. I would really appreciate a discussion into this. I will try to lay down what I have done so far in terms of theorycrafting and would appreciate any thoughts.

Yes, I want to make this work on HC, not SC.

The best way to make use of any unique is to optimize it's strengths and cover up it's weaknesses. Let me see if I can list out the strengths and problems as concisely as possible by going down the list of affixes and writing some comments about this.

- Gems in this item are Supported by level 15 Added Chaos Damage
This essentially turns our main spell into a 7L. It means the spell we build around has to be something that scales well with added damage type effects. The disadvantage is that we don't get a 20/20 added chaos gem, and the 150% mana multiplier is added with a level 15 added chaos gem.

- +(20 to 30) to Intelligence
Basically irrelevant in this discussion, but it does boost our ES somewhat.

- 20% reduced maximum Life
While this drawback looks harsh, it is not as bad as it looks. It is overcome by roughly 3-4 passive points. Not that I wish to undermine the drawback, it is big, especially with the nerf to life nodes on the tree. However, it is not LESS life, it is REDUCED life, which is a lot more manageable.

- (180 to 220)% increased Energy Shield
This is an awkward mod. It means the chest actually gives us a lot of ES. It remains to be seen if we can do anything with this. However, this is counter-intuitive with the next mod and makes this incredibly difficult to make use of.

- Blood Magic
Finally, the most important mod for our discussion. This means we cannot use auras for the most part because we have Blood Magic WITHOUT Mortal Conviction. Our main ability has to be good without the use of auras.

Alright, now that we have the mods we have to work with laid out for us, let's see what we've learned so far.

- We have to figure out a way to recover life because we are using Blood Magic for our main spell.
- We have to figure out the best spell for this purpose. It has to scale well with Added Chaos damage type effects.
- We have to figure out what we are doing with our spare ES. We need life, but we also have ES available.
- We need to use a class far away from Blood Magic because otherwise we could simply take Blood Magic on the tree.

Here are some thoughts I have on the defenses.

- We could ignore ES completely, and just go a pure life caster-type build.
- We could use a little ES, use Aegis Aurora and go block and use that sort of defense.
- We could use low life with high chaos resistance, but we'd need a way to constantly recover life when we use it on spells.
- We could go hybrid and recover both somehow, although this feels a bit wasteful. Shavronne's Revelation is an option to recover ES, but it's a league-only unique and I'd rather not.

Here are some thoughts I have on the spell.

- I think we have to use a spell. Some options include Freezing Pulse (boring though...) or something like that.
- We can also make this a totem build because then we need to use spells less frequently, just need to find a spell that has decent damage effectiveness. Spark isn't the worst maybe, or EK, or Flame Totem.
- We can use Apep's Rage (dual Apep's Rage?) to further boost our chaos damage addition. Maybe we can get an entire chaos damage theme going on.
- I think we have to go crit in this sort of build.

Thoughts? Ideas? Concerns? Anything I missed? I'm opening the floor to this discussion. I understand once again that this will not be some kind of meta-breaking build. This might not be optimal. I want to find a way to maximize this unique's strengths and undermine it's weaknesses. If anybody has tried it before, do let me know. If anybody has any ideas on how to make this work, please share!

Reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/30qtmu/discussionthe_covenant_theorycrafting/
Last edited by Hrishi on Mar 29, 2015, 6:47:28 PM
Velkor's Blood Pulser? quite outdated, though I remember it a bit.
Better stay in the land of the damned, Exile. Here, even the very words are corrupted by Nightmare.
"
enveratise wrote:
Velkor's Blood Pulser? quite outdated, though I remember it a bit.

That was the first (and only link) I could find on ANYTHING relevant too. Unfortunately this does appear to be dated and also uses Shavronne's Revelation which is a league-only unique which makes it really awkward. I was hoping to hear about other ideas too.
I planned to use this robe in a build, but in the end I used Malachai simula + infernal mantle. Even wrote a "guide" but i think it fell into oblivion. Gonna try do find.
Here it is.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1188314

I tought about using Covenant at first in this build. I actually leveled with it. a 5 link incinerate is really powerful. the only drawback is we get blood magic, so the ES is useless (doesnt replenish).
Good options to replenish both life and es are Cybil's paw with spells like incinerate/ball lightning (life on hit), then get Ghost reaver
or using vitality aura with ghost reaver, springleaf low life with ghost reaver. The only ways to replenish ES while using blood magic is to leech or use shavronne's revelation.

Honestly, the one thing this item needs to be considered good is "chaos damage cannot by pass energy shield. This would act as a mid-tier item to ll builds, and would be fairly balanced as well if you ask me. Unfortunately, I also have no idea as to what kind of build to do with this
Sure, the lab can be hard, but it's pretty easy if you're properly geared, and not terrible at the game.
The intention of the creator was to make an ES based item to allow blood magic after blood magic was moved into the strength area from the middle of the tree, as they found the build possibilities interesting. However, we also have malachais simula, which can be used with a chest that potentially has both a lot of added life and ES.

To begin with, the reduced life should be switched to increased or at least removed. Second it either needs to grant a lot of faster ES recharge to make up for BM causing your own spells to reset the timer, OR include a special mod that removes this behaviour. Perhaps even include life regen on the chest, though that might be taking it too far.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
im using it in the 1-month league as a cheap 5L.

Level 63 right now with freeze pulse + GMP + added lightning damage + life leech

Its not anything spectacular at all but it worked for killing piety/dominus.

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAKjipbrXybqpKyFpSqJqbXfKX2L01kqZXTeP-jzrh8kX-CrGQLajbWbfWgwl3B4cTnKRvnjpCS3jdqDBx1CMFtejWIuqbtcM6ykptbOd0bIydqjY9YqxwUioL8-q1SHDVidNd8h9BBiMDHi2DGYqXBsSiFr9VS2HiJpWMNsDjS1fxs_66u-NJUfDVlS4HHhGWDkjyHev1j_q5k8MJrEdRTA==
like with so many uniques ggg fucked up hard as mentioned before BM was really hard to reach ( scion didnt excist at that time) so this robe made it possible to play a bm shadow or witch

same with the ghost reaver claw they introduce the claw with this amazing feature and patch in a keynote right with the claws release

if that would be my 1k $ i would be really pissed

infernal mantle is another example the creator got threats from dimwitted idiots who couldnt understand probability and that thx "insert creator here" now i have a harder time to drop a shavs became pretty popular

ggg fucked up so many uniques and iam sure they will continue this in the future
https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
Last edited by ventiman on Mar 30, 2015, 4:16:53 AM
With that item i would go lowlife (i know its suicide on HC but would be fun to try).

Something like a incinerate+added lightning+added cold+gmp+echo+fast cast

Auras that i would use would be
discipline (28% reserved)
Herald of ice (12% reserved)
Herald of thunder (12% reserved)
purity of fire (19% reserved)

tree i would use as a base modifying as i go would be.
http://goo.gl/Rv4jvo

All gear would need to be good ES bases with a good life rolls and chaos resist (i know weird huh!) Build has 102% increased life wich would make 4k life goal manageable (after reserve 1k life left to use.

only itel that would be needed is cybils for the hpgainonhit shenenigans....

Ill leave this here. not going to try it in this 1month but if you get ideas out of it maby i did something good today :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info