How/Why Do People Stand Hardcore?

Challenge.

Because a monkey can level up a toon in standard.
"
grepman wrote:

people playing HC assume that at some point they will die of desync and not their fault. and people who play HC are ok with it.

Idk about that, not everyone has desync issues. It depends on your connection, choice of skills, quicksilver flasks (which I purposely don't use), etc. In my 800+ hours of game time I have yet to die to desync. 3 RIPS in bloodlines.

SRS witch vs temple piety lightning storm
KB shadow vs plink puncture dogs on gorge, crit + bleed, out of staunch flask
RF marauder vs 20+ obelisk sprinklers stacked on each other.

So I think it's not right to say that all hardcore players accept that they will die to desync at some point. I accept that I will die if I make a big mistake, but desync has never been a deadly issue for me, more of an annoyance than dangerous. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Last edited by Nerdicide on Mar 31, 2015, 12:06:01 PM
"
Green9090 wrote:
Stacking hp, making an alt F4 macro, and pausing to /oos every few steps to make sure you aren't about to randomly die sounds really frustrating. People might call that "skill," but to me it just sounds like tedium. I might stay out of HC permanently.

Stacking HP is part of the game, even in softcore. If you don't, you are playing the game wrong. One of the biggest parts of this game is building your character in a way that can get through all of the content. Not building HP is just a terrible idea.

Also in regards to the macros. It took me about 5 minutes to set up the autohotkey macros, and every time I log on, all I have to do is double-click the macro on my desktop and I'm ready to go. When I'm playing the game, I NEVER pause to do /oos. I literally just press one button (f2) whenever I feel like I need to, and I'm done. I don't have to stop and do anything and it's pretty much like using a skill without a GCD or any cooldown for that matter.

You are making all of this sound way harder than it actually is.
Last edited by BigChillin on Mar 31, 2015, 2:59:54 PM
First,for playing HC you need to have mindset which doeesnt give a damn if you lose your character.Most ppl who doent play HC are dont playin it because idea that they will lose their char,all gear and all progress becuse one mistake is terrible to them,not desync or something else.
Second,you must deal with fact that you will lose 1 or more characters because of desync/lag/disconnect if you are playing HC,no way to avoid this.I dont know HC player who didnt lose his char to issues above at least once.
Last edited by And1111 on Mar 31, 2015, 3:38:41 PM
The only hardcore I played was Beyond league. And that's because it was more exciting than any other league. I thought I'd stick to hardcore after beyond league, but so far I don't think GGG's done as good of a job to entice me as they did with Beyond:

1) More exotic uniques than the softcore temp league aka "swag factor"
2) Interesting league mods that actually makes adding more defense feel more rewarding than they typically do. "in-game danger = excitement"
"
And1111 wrote:
First,for playing HC you need to have mindset which doeesnt give a damn if you lose your character.Most ppl who doent play HC are dont playin it because idea that they will lose their char,all gear and all progress becuse one mistake is terrible to them,not desync or something else.
Second,you must deal with fact that you will lose 1 or more characters because of desync/lag/disconnect if you are playing HC,no way to avoid this.I dont know HC player who didnt lose his char to issues above at least once.

If you read my post above, I explain how I have never lost a char to desync or lag in PoE. However, I played d3 for about 2 months when the game was released (till it made me too disgusted to continue playing). That's the only arpg that I've ever lost HC chars due to lag. Like 5 times it happened too, just killing stuff when randomly all the mobs stop moving/taking damage (but I could still move). Ten seconds later I would rubberband back to where I was, and already be dead.

So for me, PoE is far less laggy and has less desync than d3 did. Guess it depends on where you live and your connection.
"
Nerdicide wrote:
"
And1111 wrote:

If you read my post above, I explain how I have never lost a char to desync or lag in PoE. However, I played d3 for about 2 months when the game was released (till it made me too disgusted to continue playing). That's the only arpg that I've ever lost HC chars due to lag. Like 5 times it happened too, just killing stuff when randomly all the mobs stop moving/taking damage (but I could still move). Ten seconds later I would rubberband back to where I was, and already be dead.

So for me, PoE is far less laggy and has less desync than d3 did. Guess it depends on where you live and your connection.

I've been playing HC since Invasion,same as you,never lost any char due to desync/lag,until now.This month,3 chars death to disconnects same as you died in D3(2 in 1m hc).
Last edited by And1111 on Mar 31, 2015, 5:50:21 PM
i've played over a 1000 hours on standard league and have in the last couple of weeks have tried hardcore and to be honest it has been a really fun experience.

Its more about decision making and knowing when to step back and escape. i would not have survived
for so long if it was not for my experience in standard league ( level 78 at moment )

I play a summoners build and even then I have nearly died half a dozen time due to desyniced and
over looked combination of mods. I think my end goal is to get to level 80 and I'll be retiring
my character.
I'm gonna be honest, the epic hardcore gamers I've upset with this thread are my favorite part.

The feedback is great too though, I'm learning a lot about hardcore and general desync management. Thanks everyone!
"
Nerdicide wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

people playing HC assume that at some point they will die of desync and not their fault. and people who play HC are ok with it.

Idk about that, not everyone has desync issues. It depends on your connection, choice of skills, quicksilver flasks (which I purposely don't use), etc. In my 800+ hours of game time I have yet to die to desync. 3 RIPS in bloodlines.

SRS witch vs temple piety lightning storm
KB shadow vs plink puncture dogs on gorge, crit + bleed, out of staunch flask
RF marauder vs 20+ obelisk sprinklers stacked on each other.

So I think it's not right to say that all hardcore players accept that they will die to desync at some point. I accept that I will die if I make a big mistake, but desync has never been a deadly issue for me, more of an annoyance than dangerous. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
desync doesnt really depend on your connection. theres desync on poes internal test server which naturally has zero hops to local server.

look, Im glad you havent experienced desync by taking preventive measures, but at some point desync will beat you. there isnt a 100% proof way to deal with desync.

I dont wanna speak for everyone who plays HC (and I dont even play HC) but Id say the vast majority is prepared to die to desync and not because of their actions.

Ive seen really good hc players, players who can do famine games (no pots/no life gear/no regen/leech) till act 2 rip to desync.

so really, you have to understand that murphys will happen at some point to you, as well. you're lucky to avoid it so far, even as good as all your precautions are

and when it happens, you better be ready :)

Last edited by grepman on Apr 1, 2015, 2:14:24 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info