Is this worth playing? I have some questions!

"
Progeekzy wrote:

The ability system seems odd, and i only say odd because im not used to it. So you get colored gem thingys put them in gear and thats how you gain abilities. Different, but im getting used to it.

Is it better to stick with gems and level them and not replace them? Get gems to higher levels instead of swapping into a new ability thats only level 1? Also, will i ever use my other colors? So far i have 3 green gem things and no blue or red. SHould those be ignored?

Melee and Bow skills tend to not get too much stronger with leveling as most of them scale of your weapon, you will only notice massive dps loss when using new spells with level 1 like for example your fire trap. However, if you switch to a level 1 gem later in the game it will gain experience very fast and be leveled up to an acceptable level very quickly. (First level of a skill gem requires like 500xp while you get much more per mob in later difficulties)

Once you get to act2 you will start to see support gems dropping and as quest rewards. This is where the skill system of path of exile really starts because you can support all the active skills in this game by passive support gems. Just for example you could support your fire arrow with the support gem "Greater multiple projectiles" and it would then shoot 5 arrows instead of one per click at a reduced damage and increased mana cost. If you then get an Item with 6 linked sockets (which I never got myself after thousands of hours) you can support one active skill with 5 support gems simoultaneously and the possibilities become endless.

What do you mean by ignore? You should definitely pick up every gem you find at least once.
Last edited by ItsRay on Mar 29, 2015, 8:58:06 PM
"
Progeekzy wrote:

First off, the stash. Generally in these games you collect a lot of loot. Gems, socket type items. Potions. Keys. Gear you cant use yet and gear for other toons.
Is the default stash big enough to where its not an issue? Will i get to the point where i will need to drop cash to expand it or can i play well enough with the default size?

The default stash is not big enough in my opinion. Chaos Orb recipes, orbs, flasks, socket items, rare weapons+armors etc = no, default is shit.

"
Progeekzy wrote:

Next, Crafting system. Does PoE have it, is it similar to Diablo 3 style system, tear apart old items save mats craft new gear, and can i use it as a free to play player?

You can use it but if you never won in a lottery you better stay away from it. Crafting is for people who have enough currency to burn it.
Crafting with the masters is worse but doable to a limited point, but playing selffound is still something for masochists and people with no life.

"
Progeekzy wrote:

Next up, PvP. Is it in the game is it fun do i have to wait till end game to jump in and hows the balance? Does paying players have a huge advantage over f2p players?

It's there, not very entertaining, skill balancing is not something you would count as a + in this game so expect to get rect from a 80k dps build while you run around with your 4k dps skill.

"
Progeekzy wrote:

End game, what is it? Is it true Diablo 3 style where i just re play the same content thats now slightly harder with better drops? Or is there a different system in the game?

"
Progeekzy wrote:

Free to play restrictions. If i wanted, could i play this game as a completely free to play player and not be hindered? Is there anything that i absolutely need to buy for progression or to be competitive?

To be competetive in PvP? Yes, you need to RMT.
For PvE? No.
Make
Spectral Throw
great again
OK more noob questions.

Melee weapons on my ranger. I dont think i would ever use them as weapons, but can i use them for stats?
Also, if i selected weapons with gem slots that i wanted/needed, does that work as well?

Like, back in the day of lichking hunters in wow has melee weapons pretty much only for stats. Does that same kinda thing apply here?

Also, the area reset thing is killing me. IM finding myself running back to camp dumping items in my chest and getting back as fast as i can before the area resets. Now the issue is, i have 3 bank tabs full of things i have to sift through identify sell ect. ANy way to not make an area reset?
"
Progeekzy wrote:
Melee weapons on my ranger. I dont think i would ever use them as weapons, but can i use them for stats?
Also, if i selected weapons with gem slots that i wanted/needed, does that work as well?

OK now you are getting into the in depth stuff. Yes you "can" use weapons for stats. The reason why "can" is in quotes is because certain stats will have an impact on what skill you are using and others will not. For simplicity sake there are "attacks" and "spells". A stat that impacts an "attack" may not impact a "spell". For example this dagger has 9-17 fire damage, that is for "attacks" so it will NOT effect your fire trap (the critical strike stats have "global" so they will effect fire trap confused yet :P ). It gets easier as you learn more keep at it.. Recommend the PoE wiki just goof off in there

"
Progeekzy wrote:

Also, the area reset thing is killing me. IM finding myself running back to camp dumping items in my chest and getting back as fast as i can before the area resets. Now the issue is, i have 3 bank tabs full of things i have to sift through identify sell ect. ANy way to not make an area reset?

The area will reset after a certain amount of time. "Waypoints" which are in about every other zone can teleport you to town they should give you enough time to vendor and get back. Also no harm in jumping in a zone to keep it from resetting then jumping back. Most of the things you will find in low levels you can find better gear 5-10 levels later. So I would not focus on selling and identifying a majority of what drops. For me personally I just pick up rare, unique and currency items when leveling but you may find some blue items that help you.
I need a signature to look legit
Make use of your Portal Scrolls. They're very common - alongside Scrolls of Wisdom. I have hundreds in my 40+ hours of playing.

When you use a Portal Scroll, it saves your location you put it down at so you can go to town and do what you need to before going back into the action. You have 8-15 minutes to goof around in town before the portal/area resets, I believe. When going into a zone though and you want to reset it (for maximum uptime with leveling/farming), you can CTRL+Left Click the entrance to create a brand new instance. Very useful for farming areas for exp/item progression.
Last edited by Kreskya on Mar 31, 2015, 2:50:04 AM
"
Progeekzy wrote:
i have 3 bank tabs full of things i have to sift through identify sell

And for the love of god, don't identify everything, just the rares. Blues are used pretty much only in races.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
IMO its very important to understand the game itemization/currency system and then the vendor recipes.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipes

I know its a very long list, but once you understand it, then you can progress much faster.

The more important ones for beginners:

-transmute/alteration/alchemy shards to slowly build up currency and do aome basic crafting
-chromatic items
-20% quality whites give one currency, always pick up those. Or more items with 40% total, but its not reasonable to pick up armor with 5-10% quality. You will find quite a lot of armorer scrap and blacksmith wheatstone to not bother with the recipe later. But do pick up all quality flasks and gems for this recipe.
- 3x flask upgrade to next level
- resistence rings and weapon crafting (+1 gem level for spells or +%phys damage for attacks)

This will get you thru normal difficulty without need to trade easily. Even cruel is pretty manageable. For merciless you need to farm and trade to get the resistances and other stats. Ofc you can do the whole game selffound, but its much easier (and usually cheaper) if you balance your gear with some trading on higher levels.
A recap on something. The secondary weapon question. Only stats that say global will be of help as a secondary weapon? plus 40percent to crit or whatever wont help at all because it dosent say global?

Gems, when ill i start using blue/red? Im actually starting to get a tad bit upset that anything i could use, has to go into a green slot. Just picked up a sweet support gem. Cant use it. No slots. If i do want to use it i have to take something else out.
The second weapon set is basically used for two reasons.

1) Gems socketed in the inactive set still gain experience. This is probably the most common usage by far.

2) You can have a second set for a different purpose. For example an offensive and defenses set.

Global mods in the inactive set don't do anything. The ONLY thing that works in the inactive set is gem experience. When you swap sets, all mods swap with it. Gems gain experience, but they can not be used unless you swap sets or move the gem to an active piece of gear.

BTW, the +40% crit chance on daggers is global even though it doesn't say so. But it must be the active set to work.

"
Gems, when ill i start using blue/red? Im actually starting to get a tad bit upset that anything i could use, has to go into a green slot. Just picked up a sweet support gem. Cant use it. No slots. If i do want to use it i have to take something else out.

How many games have you played where you can use every skill on one character? It's just part of the game to pick and choose which skills to use.

As you progress through the game, you'll get gear with more sockets. There is a minimum item level required for additional sockets. You'll start getting some 4-5 socket gear in Act 3. And some 6 socket gear in Cruel. However the number of sockets is random, with 6 sockets being pretty rare even after they have the required item level.

As far as gem colors. You'll eventually end up using every color. The number and color of sockets is just another part of the RNG. The sockets can be changed with orbs, but I wouldn't get too carried away using them until later in the game. For now you just have to choose which skills you want to use. If you have a gem you like but don't have the socket to use it, use a cheap weapon in your inactive set to level it until you get the right socket combination. You can even start a new character to get a free RGB weapon.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info