Is this worth playing? I have some questions!

Greetings all, Progeekzy here!

I have been a fan of this action RPG genre for many years and i am looking for a new one to play.

I have watched a few reviews on this game online but a few questions that i had were not answered.

I was hoping the community would be able to fill in a few of these gaps for me.

First off, the stash. Generally in these games you collect a lot of loot. Gems, socket type items. Potions. Keys. Gear you cant use yet and gear for other toons.
Is the default stash big enough to where its not an issue? Will i get to the point where i will need to drop cash to expand it or can i play well enough with the default size?

Next, Crafting system. Does PoE have it, is it similar to Diablo 3 style system, tear apart old items save mats craft new gear, and can i use it as a free to play player?

Next up, PvP. Is it in the game is it fun do i have to wait till end game to jump in and hows the balance? Does paying players have a huge advantage over f2p players?

End game, what is it? Is it true Diablo 3 style where i just re play the same content thats now slightly harder with better drops? Or is there a different system in the game?

Free to play restrictions. If i wanted, could i play this game as a completely free to play player and not be hindered? Is there anything that i absolutely need to buy for progression or to be competitive?

I think thats all the questions i have for now. Thanks for taking the time out to answer some of them!

Personally, I don't think the stash is big enough, but I trade a lot.

There aren't "mats" per se. Orbs are used to modify properites of items. The properties they add/change are usually random. Orbs are also used as currency.

PvP is in the game but I can't comment on it since I never participate in it.

End game consists of areas that are level 66 to 78. They are maps that use tilesets you'll see throughout the game. There's also a big ass boss.

Money is a non-issue. The only thing you can buy with real money are stash stabs and aesthetics.

You make my ochinchin go doki doki.

Last edited by GooberM on Mar 28, 2015, 9:47:06 PM
"
Progeekzy wrote:
First off, the stash. Generally in these games you collect a lot of loot. Gems, socket type items. Potions. Keys. Gear you cant use yet and gear for other toons.
Is the default stash big enough to where its not an issue? Will i get to the point where i will need to drop cash to expand it or can i play well enough with the default size?
Default size is useable as long as you don't mind it being messy. You can also make mule characters to hold more gear. However, you will almost certainly want to spend a few bucks upgrading your stash at some point, because it does make life a lot easier to have an organised stash and not need to worry about having enough space for stuff.

As a general note to save me having to say it for your other questions, this is the only thing that could possibly be called an advantage that you can get by paying real money. Everything else is purely cosmetic.

"
Next, Crafting system. Does PoE have it, is it similar to Diablo 3 style system, tear apart old items save mats craft new gear, and can i use it as a free to play player?
There are a few different ways to craft in this game. There are specific recipes you can use to make certain currency items, upgrade certain items, add certain mods to items, etc. The currency system, if you haven't read about it much, is also basically entirely crafting-based. Rather than there being gold or anything similar, currency consists of a variety of items that also have crafting uses. Selling items to NPC vendors gets you these currency items, or fragments of them. In addition, there are NPC crafting masters that will add specific mods to your gear for a currency payment, once you have helped them out enough. In general, crafting is enormously complex and ranges from things that just give a small leg up to levelling characters to burning more currency than the average player makes in a year to craft a single near-perfect item.

"
Next up, PvP. Is it in the game is it fun do i have to wait till end game to jump in and hows the balance? Does paying players have a huge advantage over f2p players?
PvP is well supported. There is a lot of low-level PvP so getting to endgame with godly gear is not necessary. I cannot speak in detail about it since it's not really my thing, so I'll leave it to others.

"
End game, what is it? Is it true Diablo 3 style where i just re play the same content thats now slightly harder with better drops? Or is there a different system in the game?
The main endgame system is mapping, which is basically that, with a couple of twists that make for (IMO) more interesting long-term progression through endgame. There are also a few boss runs that people grind, and a couple of associated miniature progression systems and economies. I can go into more detail if need be.

"
Free to play restrictions. If i wanted, could i play this game as a completely free to play player and not be hindered? Is there anything that i absolutely need to buy for progression or to be competitive?
Reiterating, stash tabs are the only advantage possible to gain by paying real money. The devs don't like pay to win.

As a side note, the Wiki is pretty awesome. I recommend giving bits of it a read. This article might be of particular interest.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Stash - I think it would be very hard to succeed long term at a high level without buying tabs. But I do think they give you enough free storage to make the honest determination that it is worthwhile before you need to.

Crafting - More complex than d3 but somewhat similar in that what you find gives you the raw materials. You cannot buy crafting materials or items with real money.

PvP - Currently it is a rich player's thing. They have said they plan to have balanced type events someday in the future. It only recently got some developer attention and isn't what most players came here for so participation is low.

End game - More complex than d3 because of how the map system and currency/crafting system interact. It is also a bit more random as progress is not guaranteed and can even be lost. This game is more harsh than d3 in almost all aspects, including endgame. But the basic idea of randomly generated areas with a mishmash of monsters is similar.

F2P - Stash tabs are the only thing, unless you start a guild that grows massive or choose to make more than 24 characters. No content restrictions and you can't pay to progress.
When I kill a man he stays dead.
Thank you for the detailed reply. I shall start installing the game now.

One more quick question. Other games similar to this are, basically, completely single player and grouping up is optional. You mentioned boss fights.

How much of the content in this game is single player and how much must i be grouped up for?
There is no partying requirement for any content. You can play everything in the game solo with no problems (aside from some PvP modes). However, partying can be beneficial in order to improve clear speed and share resources.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Last edited by viperesque on Mar 28, 2015, 10:02:15 PM
"
Progeekzy wrote:
Thank you for the detailed reply. I shall start installing the game now.

One more quick question. Other games similar to this are, basically, completely single player and grouping up is optional. You mentioned boss fights.

How much of the content in this game is single player and how much must i be grouped up for?

Grouping's optional. However, it adds HP to the mobs, as well as increased rewards. You can go through the entire content solo, as well as grouped.

There are in-game bulletin boards where you can insta-join parties. Otherwise, you can ask in Global chat.
You make my ochinchin go doki doki.

Last edited by GooberM on Mar 28, 2015, 10:05:25 PM
This game sounds great and everything i am looking for. Thank you all so much for the replys. I am about 5 percent done with the initial install so hopefully i can be in game some time today!
Considering I have over thousand hours played I would say yes.

(just dont expect your first character, or even your first few, to be succesful)
Last edited by ItsRay on Mar 28, 2015, 10:37:21 PM
OK why wont the be successful? lol.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info