Volatile Blood

Volatile nemeses blood damage is dealt as some mysterious unavoidable damage type. In a game where synchronisation is an endless battle, this is unforgivably woeful design. I don't know to what extent things will be shaken up in 1.4 but as things are now, Volatile nemeses need some developer attention.

Currently, there are only two ways to survive an encounter with a volatile nemesis:
1) Do not encounter them (lol). Do not get hit - disgraceful design
2) Have sufficient HP/ES + Resists - Great design, in the right setting

Exiles need to have options; to be presented with meaningful decisions such that when they die it is as a result of their own choices and not some cheap gimmick.

I propose that volatile blood be dealt as 50% attack damage and 50% spell damage with the possibility that the chosen element only accounts for 50-75% of the total damage and the remainder is split evenly by physical and chaos damage (I suspect volatile bloods already deal physical damage but none of my testing was conclusive). Keep the threat level as high as you wish - but the threat need to be a manageable one.
This will enable exiles to have a chance at evading/dodging/blocking some portion of the damage.
Great! Options now exist for exiles to improve their survivability should they so choose.
When players die to this it should definitely reflect on their decisions leading up to that moment, and not because they were out of position (sync) and ate a fuckton of unavoidable damage.

Spoiler
Nope, never died to it. Had some really close calls though. Bad design is still bad.
IGN: Victory_Or_Sovngarde
It's not a 13 week development cycle, it's a 13 week supporter-pack cycle.
You can play any build you want, as long as it's the current meta.
Last edited by Ashen_Shugar_IV on Mar 28, 2015, 8:59:45 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
What? Volatile blood is harmless. It has never dealt even half my hp's worth of damage.
Last edited by Starxsword on Mar 27, 2015, 11:09:36 PM
I've been hit for over 8.2k damage. I will never know the real total since a party member luckily activated a Vaal Discipline moments before.
What zone is this? I've never lost that much life against this specific skill. The monster must have damage mods, in addition to being a high base damage monster.
Why does it matter?

tl;dr
Unavoidable damage is bad. Pls fix GGG thx
They still hit REALLY hard for some reason (way way stronger than a corpse explosion). They are pretty harmless for ranged but can be a huge threat to melee sometimes... Ho wait, isn't that how the game is designed :D
"
From the wiki:

Volatile Flame/Ice/Storm blood (requires monster level 2)
Explodes upon death, dealing some (percentage of max life?) damage of the relevant elemental type in a small area of effect.

Relevant part bolded.

I don't know what you're trying to say?
*That* damage does not exist as attack damage or spell damage, or even degen. It exists as some sort of mystery damage type, this should not be the case.

offtopic
"
IceDeal wrote:
They still hit REALLY hard for some reason (way way stronger than a corpse explosion). They are pretty harmless for ranged but can be a huge threat to melee sometimes... Ho wait, isn't that how the game is designed :D

Yes, everything in this game exists to repeatedly teach you that you must be some special kind of idiot to want to engage monsters in close proximity.
Last edited by Ashen_Shugar_IV on Mar 28, 2015, 1:21:37 AM
"
Oh, merely pointing out that resists help. A LOT.

It could be attack damage, given that it's a form of infernal blow type detonation, but it could be spell if it's detonate dead. Hm. Never really occurred to me to figure it out, but I suppose it's relevant if you want to block/evade it. Given it destroys my evaders, I'm going to guess spell damage.

Doesn't really bother me either way. Resists are the key to surviving the volatiles.

in low level content, without damage mods - yes: resists help

in a -max, extra damage, monster damage 75+ map resists reduce fatal damage to fatal damage and thats it

volatile blood (just like few other - minara's minions anyone) cannot be (spell)blocked, (spell)dodged nor evaded. melee has to facetank it. or skip it.

ranged players mostly do not understand what is being talked about here.. great desing, sadly :/
"
Oh, merely pointing out that resists help. A LOT.

It could be attack damage, given that it's a form of infernal blow type detonation, but it could be spell if it's detonate dead. Hm. Never really occurred to me to figure it out, but I suppose it's relevant if you want to block/evade it. Given it destroys my evaders, I'm going to guess spell damage.

Doesn't really bother me either way. Resists are the key to surviving the volatiles.

The max res situation has changed pretty drastically since the time this nemesis was nothing more than a concept. Back then I agree that resists were key, now.... not so much.
since it scales off a monster's life pool, Volatile Blood can and will one-shot you. especially at higher levels, given the right (beefy) monster type with modifiers such as Extra Life.

they are a melee's worst nightmare really.

some mechanics in the game aren't there for the challenge.
they are just there to kill you, by all means possible.
that's the real bad design. VB is just one instance of it.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info