watching Streamers do the Hardcore one-month, made me realize something

"
puviel wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
Odoakar wrote:
The game is designed around the ability to alt+f4.

Strangest design choice in the history of video games.

Please, show me a link with an official statement from a dev, supporting your statement. Not a "alt-f4 is OK". Not a "alt-f4 is allowed". Show me a statement where they say that the hard core mode is DESIGNED AROUND the ability to alt-f4.

"Let's design a hard core, loose it all mode. But remember: alt-f4'ing has to be allowed"

I refuse to believe this.

If it is allowed it is obviously intended. It is part of operating systems to be able to shut down programs so there is nothing to do about that per se. However, they can add a timer server side that keeps the character alive for 5 seconds after you quit or log out. To not add this timer is intended.

So following your reasoning if it wasnt outlawed to drink while driving you would do it? Not everything has to be forbidden, sometimes some common sense tells you something just shouldnt be done.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
Odoakar wrote:
The game is designed around the ability to alt+f4.

Strangest design choice in the history of video games.

Please, show me a link with an official statement from a dev, supporting your statement. Not a "alt-f4 is OK". Not a "alt-f4 is allowed". Show me a statement where they say that the hard core mode is DESIGNED AROUND the ability to alt-f4.

"Let's design a hard core, loose it all mode. But remember: alt-f4'ing has to be allowed"

I refuse to believe this.

http://raptr.com/Chris_GGG/news/52534c6e77938e0e81/raptr-q-a-path-of-exile?comment_id=52566c90d08322e11d

But it ain't that simple. The aftermath of that caused a thread where Chris posted

"
Maybe my explanation in the Raptr Q&A isn't optimal (I answered over 100 questions rapidly), but I stand by our reasoning that causes us to allow people to drop instantly.

We want our fights to have large swings of damage and to cause a rush of adrenaline in the player. If the game didn't allow you to drop instantly then we'd have to dumb down the fights so much. We've tried it.

In addition, it means that we're able to make hard boss fights that players can attrition if they choose to. If we had to design the act bosses so that players needed to kill them in one go without dying then they would be pushovers.

We have said this multiple times on the forum and in interviews before (as well as implementing the game to be that way) - our stance shouldn't be a surprise!

And also

"
It's not that we're actively attempting to make fights where we want people to alt-f4, it's that when faced with the choice of:
  • Disable it and put a timer on exit
  • Allow it, which means we have to be able to justify it

We vastly prefer the second option because it leads to fights that are honestly a whole lot more fun (for us, at least).

Maybe the best solution would be to avoid this type of question, but I am trying to answer honestly!
Succeeding in hardcore in this game includes developing a sense of when to back off, portal out, reset the area, etc.
You have to know your character's potential and be able to read how situations will progress.
This is more important than ever with bloodlines in the game.
If you can't handle a situation it isn't cowardly to back off, it is smart.
Why bother playing a complex game if you're not going to handle different situations differently?
When I kill a man he stays dead.
"
mucker wrote:
Succeeding in hardcore in this game includes developing a sense of when to back off, portal out, reset the area, etc.
You have to know your character's potential and be able to read how situations will progress.
Why bother playing a complex game if you're not going to handle different situations differently?

Idd, in PoE there are scenarios which WILL KILL YOU no matter what gear you have or what level you are. You will die. The only way to avoid these situations at times is to simply log out (or portal out if you can see it coming from a far but this is not always the case). If they added a timer to logging out, they would have to remove the possibility for these scenarios and it would make the game a lot more boring and stale.
"
Grughal wrote:
If they added a timer to logging out, they would have to remove the possibility for these scenarios and it would make the game a lot more boring and stale.

no. no timers. you can't stop people from cowering out, and if you try to do it, you'll screw people who had an actual problem like a PC crashing, connection failure, power outage etc'.

boring and stale? oh yeah because apparently "BOOM! you're dead" one-shots make it so fucking interesting.
so much better than, oh you know, putting you into a crazy situation that's designed to kill you if you lose your nerve, so you can actually die to something you did wrong, or to enemies actually outsmarting you.
or live through and feel like a total fucking badass for that.

when I first saw The Vaal Oversoul in Beta, I was terrified.
this huge, nasty dark being-thing floats up menacingly, then gently touches down to tower above you, ready to rip you to shreds. and then it starts putting the pressure on you and reacting to what you do, and you are thinking "oh my god what did I get myself into?".
and so I got Vaal Slammed a couple times and Lasered a couple more, for being a dumbass and standing still when I should run like hell. and then I finally managed to kill it, and felt like "OH YEAH! I WIN! you tried to crush me, but I'M ALIVE!".

and then I got the shit bear-trapped out of me in seconds by Perpetus, just for walking into his line of sight.
fun.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Mar 26, 2015, 1:53:08 PM
"
mucker wrote:

I agree with what your saying. I define it as being tactical.

Personally, I stop short of closing an application to avoid death. In my opinion, it's not an acceptable tactic to a mistake I've made. If I were ever to feel like that is a option I have to take to make the game play acceptable, then I wouldn't play that game mode. It's also the reason I don't play HC modes in this game. The way things are designed and implemented isn't something I agree with. Even though I loved HC mode in something like D2.
Lol ziggy D is a dude with zero skill and copy pasta ppls build and presents them as his own. Dude is so bad that he died on his first day. No respect for lousy streamer whose only there just to cash in. Imho mathil is way much better than ziggy.N ya thinking of alt f4 just shows how bad a player he is or anyone who tries it.
Last edited by choopk1993 on Mar 26, 2015, 1:52:33 PM
GGG allows escaping from fights (wia TP or logout) so that fights can be designed more spikey and adrenalinic. This pretty much means that fleeing is a gameplay feature / option.

There's also desync, which can or not be player's "fault" (mostly it's not), which can put you in an un-fair situation (because it's a technical issue) and thus logging out is acceptable.

I've logged out several times in HC & SC, most of it because of desync. Or what I thought is desync, but since in PoE you don't have time to contemplate - better safe than sorry. I view it as a gameplay 'feature' (I dont like such design, but adapt to it none-the-less).

On the issue of "actually fighting stuff", paying for boss kills is a much worse offense, imo :)
(but both these activities are intentional and designed for)
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
choopk1993 wrote:
Lol ziggy D is a dude with zero skill and copy pasta ppls build and presents them as his own. Dude is so bad that he died on his first day. No respect for lousy streamer whose only there just to cash in. Imho mathil is way much better than ziggy.

Yeah and he always plays like ranged builds, bro. That's like playing PoE in godmode. It's cheating...
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
"
johnKeys wrote:
first and foremost, it made me respect ZiggyD.
the guy died in the first day. twice. but he died actually fighting stuff.
his entire rip-log video is full of "I should have logged out", so let me be the first to say - no, Ziggy, you shouldn't.
and yes, you sure as fuck did the right thing to come back from the portal and try to kill the thing.

let this be an example to all you PoE players out there, streaming or not: when you log-out at the slightest sign of danger. when you abuse portal/area grace periods and TP out after taking one hit for less than 50% of your health. when you are skipping bosses.... you aren't playing the game. you maybe are "competing" and whatnot, but you aren't playing.

I'll get a lot of flame for this, so bring it on. I can take it.
ask yourselves, are you ready to play Path Of Exile? yes, you may RIP in HC. yes, you may lose some EXP in SC and maybe a position on the ladder because the guy below you didn't have the fucking balls to take on this boss - but whoever dubbed "not logging out" a "mistake", whoever says "skip this", whoever abuses and exploits the fuck out of the game just to stay alive - is a bloody idiot. even if his cowardly tactics and a bunch of good friends willing to die for the cause, get him top of the ladder - he'd still be an idiot.

Agreed, i use no macros. Full disclosure, if I am stuck in a dead end looking death in the face, I make no promises that I won't be fumbeling for the log out. Dat armor set yo! But, if I do, I will admit to being a balless bloody idiot.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info