about bloodmagic

"
CanHasPants wrote:
Seriously, though, splitting costs simultaneously between mana and life is wholly different than paying fully on life all the time (BMK), paying fully from life some of the time (BMS), and paying fully from mana all of the time (neither). The concept of split costs alone breeds new potential resource management strategies, which translates into new builds.

While the idea is nice and all on paper. I would not like to have it be implemented because it destroys the concept behind Blood Magic (better rename to something else that fits the concept of using blood and mana at once) and builds that has non-existent mana/mana regen would just go >_<

Why try to chance something that would effect many builds, when you can tweak something that would effect that build that is preventing the buff to BM?
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Mar 24, 2015, 9:51:10 PM
"
CanHasPants wrote:
@Scrotie: I feel that is much more elegant, although I'd contest the exact numbers for MC. Or maybe I wouldn't. I suspect the difference between 40%, 50%, or even the other direction with 60%, each bear significant differences in developing "new" MC's identity. I'm apt to favor 50% out of sheer laziness (which is why it's a good thing I don't make up the numbers ^-^)
Eh, tbh I still don't like my suggestion. Removing mana pool is a cool drawback but super restrictive in practice. I don't know if anything could make Blood Magic keystone viable with that drawback without also making it OP for some niche build. What I suggested is a MC which would see a lot of use and a BMK which would see none.

What I feel strongly on, however, is build diversity would be helped by a partial BM node which doesn't remove mana, and by a BM support which is also partial, such that with both node and support one would achieve full conversion a la Avatar of Fire.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
In my opinion, no amount of mana reservation adjustments will make auras on BMK appealing (to me). At least, not for a BMK character. When there were flat reservation costs, auras on BMK could be left partially unleveled or the quantity of auras controlled with greater precision and effect. It was beautiful min/maxing, and those decisions are all moot with %only reservation costs, let alone beginning with 40 and 60%. The only aura that's appealing to reserve to life on a life based build is clarity, and that's worthless for BMK.

So, since, no amount of numerical adjustment on BMK auras will change my opinion on that, imo, it should be ignored until/if we see another aura readjustment.

What I'd really like to see is auras return to a flat reservation cost with a much wider distribution of stats between levels, such that the difference between a level 14 gem and a level 16 gem is very significant to both the amount reserved and the aura effect, with the cost always outpacing the effect the closer you approach or exceed gem level 20, and vice versa the effect being much more reasonable for its cost the closer the gem level approaches 1. In this way every build, especially BMK, has some very significant decisions to make regarding the auras they run--not just which ones, but at what levels as well. Go all in for a much more powerful level 22 Anger? Or perhaps you would get more out of your auras net effect by running a level 10 Anger, 10 Wrath, and 12 Haste.

Regarding BMK, then, with or without flat aura costs, removing "you have no mana" would do diddly to affect its identity, because that damage was already done. At the very least, keeping it that way and swapping BMK with MC as per Scrotie's and my brainstorm would vastly expand BMK-like build opportunities with (I suspect) minimal impact on existing proper BMK builds (because really, how many BMK builds exist that reserve auras to life?). Further still, times have changed, and for BMK to adapt I'd rather see its "no mana" replaced with a very hefty "less mana," such that at the very least mana reservations could still be split (resulting in a net change of 0 from our current aura situation, or a very weak synergy to MoM).

E.g.,
MC: "40% of Mana Costs and Reservations converted to Life Costs and Reservations."
and behind that,
BMK: "60% of Mana Costs converted to Life Costs; 80% less mana."

The only hitch is that Malachai's Simulacra much become wickedly OP. To that end, there are a few other ways still unexplored to manipulate the wording.

(Standard pants disclaimer: still waiting for coffee to brew, so pardon the rambly nature ^-^)
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Mar 26, 2015, 9:53:18 AM
What if the bloodmagic keystone converted flat % auras into a flat life cost? Of course if this were to happen GGG would have to remove all ES from the character or something to prevent brokenness.

https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
I have a feeling that'd be super cumbersome. How would the text read on the keystone? At what rate is a % of max life converted to flat life? Where is this information made available to the player?
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Blood Magic remains as it is, add a 6% increased aura effect node either side of Mortal Conviction leading into another Keystone that says "25% less mana reserved, 100% of Energy Shield converted to Armour"

That gives the following with the whole cluster taken (5 points):

75% less mana reserved
12% increased effect of auras
Removal of ES

This still allows it to be used by LL builds by not taking the last keystone, but gives BM a bit more leeway.
"
CanHasPants wrote:
I have a feeling that'd be super cumbersome. How would the text read on the keystone? At what rate is a % of max life converted to flat life? Where is this information made available to the player?

IDK man I'd have to actually do some math, I am sure there would be a balanced way of doing it that makes it fair.

https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
Patrae wrote:
Blood Magic remains as it is, add a 6% increased aura effect node either side of Mortal Conviction leading into another Keystone that says "25% less mana reserved, 100% of Energy Shield converted to Armour"

That gives the following with the whole cluster taken (5 points):

75% less mana reserved
12% increased effect of auras
Removal of ES

This still allows it to be used by LL builds by not taking the last keystone, but gives BM a bit more leeway.

I like your thinking.

I don't think they should do any increased aura effects or aura reductions before reaching the ES removal node.

So, i think they should simply change mortal conviction to:

75%+ less mana reserved
Removes all ES

That way, builds can no longer abuse mortal conviction. Let us face it, they cannot make mortal conviction good enough for life builds since ES builds are taking it to abuse aura stacking.

The answer is to make it unusable with es(removes es), which in turns allows them to increase its power to make it attractive for actual life builds.

Just my 2c.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Mar 26, 2015, 1:07:24 PM
"
Crackmonster wrote:

I like your thinking.

I don't think they should do any increased aura effects or aura reductions before reaching the ES removal node.

So, i think they should simply change mortal conviction to:

75%+ less mana reserved
Removes all ES

That way, builds can no longer abuse mortal conviction. Let us face it, they cannot make mortal conviction good enough for life builds since ES builds are taking it to abuse aura stacking.

The answer is to make it unusable with es(removes es), which in turns allows them to increase its power to make it attractive for actual life builds.

Just my 2c.

That is essentially how I would want it too. BMK can still be used for low life builds, but mortal conviction would answer life build's dilemma with BMK.

As for what I bold, that is the problem that needs to be resolved. BMK+MC is meant to be facilitate the aura stacking for life build ONLY since that is their only resource. However, low life builds uses ES as life 2.0 buffer which life itself cannot afford to do.

In a sense, low life builds treats life as mana, and treats ES as life, while life builds treats mana as life, and treats life as.........life.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Mar 26, 2015, 6:59:46 PM
Hi

I miss the CB days when BMK was awesome now its dusty and forgotten.

I wrote before with suggestions concerning this disparity and I will suggest again:

BMK initially would remove all mana in exchange for life casting and then a few nodes of life regeneration( 1-.8) then mortal conviction which would revert auras to point costs and remove all ES.

This would be a decent middle ground so players could still use BMK with ES unless they are completely devoted to the concept of BM and take MC.

Forum Moderators are welcome to remove what I write as usual depending on THEIR understanding of the forum guidelines.

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
-I thought what I'd do was,I'd Pretend I was one of those deaf mutes-
Nullus Anxietas:)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info