A new trading sytem (forum integration) = bad after all?

back in runescape we had two terms.

merchanting - spamming in a crowded area to buy an item, then resell them for higher, often after a period of time, possibly at a different location.

flipping - buying an item on the auction house for max buyout, call it a, selling it for minimum sale price, call it b, then buy MANY items for b+1, then sell all of them for a-1.

after a while merchanting term got overshadowed by "merchanting clans" that were basically restrictive clans of people who have come to manipulate prices of items due to the sheer volume of their wealth.

personally, I much prefer merchanting, it's much more engaging than mass buying out items in the morning, then mass putting items up at night.
"
Yeah, let only botters and pro traders have all the orbs and ex and mirror crafting. By goodness let the casuals trade effectively and the precious economy breaks down.

Are you arguing that "casuals" should be given handicaps because they can't play as much as non-casuals? That's not a very good reason, considering 99.99% of all games ever created do not cater to people who spend less time in-game.

You play less = you make less progress. Forums shouldn't even be a remotely viable substitute for spending quality in-game time. It's not just "oh I can chat with my online friends", or "hey I can spectate what my friends are doing in-game". It's literally being able to affect the in-game economy from completely outside of the game.

✮ in-game @FTMFW
✮ twitch.tv/RRTSON
✮ [Shop] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/909223
✮ [Build of the Week] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1034503
Last edited by rrtson on Mar 23, 2015, 10:16:13 AM
I hated systems like that. a lag fest at a town's fountain or whatever lagging the place up. chat filled with nonsense acronyms while you click through every afk characters just standing there.

so archaic and bad. that was FFXI's system for higher priced items to avoid AH costs. it just artificially inflated people's login at computer times.
"
rrtson wrote:
"
Yeah, let only botters and pro traders have all the orbs and ex and mirror crafting. By goodness let the casuals trade effectively and the precious economy breaks down.

Are you arguing that "casuals" should be given handicaps because they can't play as much as non-casuals? That's not a very good reason, considering 99.99% of all games ever created do not cater to people who spend less time in-game.

You play less = you make less progress. Forums shouldn't even be a remotely viable substitute for spending quality in-game time. It's not just "oh I can chat with my online friends", or "hey I can check spectate what my friends are doing in-game". It's literally being able to affect the in-game economy from completely outside of the game.

Um, im saying the opposite. Casuals are restricted by the silly 3rd party sites needed and in combination of forum, trade chat and noticeboard spam, casuals have it hardest to trade effectively. And since the games drop rate is all about trading it should reflect that in a proper way for casuals to do it. An AH is not a bad idea, where did that ever come from that it is?

I put up an item, set the price and it either sells or i put it up again with a lower price. In the meantime i can actually play the game without leaving my zone, annoying PMs and whispers and such things and without distraction of any kind. And my item sells, and i get my orbs.

Pro traders prefer the trade system we have now because they know if everyone could trade as they do everyone would get richer while they get poorer in comparison and that is bad for them. For everyone else it would be great.

And no, the bot argument doesnt fly when it comes to the AH as we already have people bot, its just the pro traders who do it and they will keep doing it if there was an AH it just wouldnt net them the same profit.
I was really into new trading system, but nowadays, after using poe.trade for so long, I am fine with the current system.

The only problem I have with it is when trying to buy specific rare item, it is hard to find someone who is online, so it takes a day or two to get to it. But it is not that bad, because most of those items are end game.

The thing I don't like atm is currency trading, it just annoys me too much. I wish vendors would be something like exchange offices. If I want to buy fusings, let me sell my exa to vendors for some fair price, 60 for example. I would like to be able to exchange all the orbs in the game through vendors with prices similar to market value, not ripoffs like regret for alchemy. Alts, jewls and fusings are in the right place, that is what I would like to see for all orbs.

And also, make every unique give at least an alchemy when vendored (some newer ones do). That way it feels kind of rewarding to find one, and also you don't need to waste 3min to trade something for an alch.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DaidelosGaming/featured
"

Um, im saying the opposite. Casuals are restricted by the silly 3rd party sites needed and in combination of forum, trade chat and noticeboard spam, casuals have it hardest to trade effectively. And since the games drop rate is all about trading it should reflect that in a proper way for casuals to do it. An AH is not a bad idea, where did that ever come from that it is?

What? Are you saying that non-casuals are somehow not restricted by the same trading outlets? As far as I'm aware, everyone has access to the same exact trading tools.

"Pro traders" don't have a magic wand that they use to trade. They still have to deal with 3rd party sites, forums, trade chat, and noticeboard spam just like you do.

"
I put up an item, set the price and it either sells or i put it up again with a lower price. In the meantime i can actually play the game without leaving my zone, annoying PMs and whispers and such things and without distraction of any kind. And my item sells, and i get my orbs.

1) I suggest you re-read Chris's post. He says no to having in-game buyouts, has never said he supported it, and will likely never change his mind. He wants people to interact and barter.

2) I never argued against cross-instance trading. Cross-instance trading would be great because inviting someone to your party and then having to meet up in town or hideout is annoying. It seems like you're talking about completely different topics than what was addressed in the OP (i.e. forum trading integration).
✮ in-game @FTMFW
✮ twitch.tv/RRTSON
Last edited by rrtson on Mar 23, 2015, 10:40:52 AM
"
Daidelos wrote:

The thing I don't like atm is currency trading, it just annoys me too much. I wish vendors would be something like exchange offices. If I want to buy fusings, let me sell my exa to vendors for some fair price, 60 for example. I would like to be able to exchange all the orbs in the game through vendors with prices similar to market value, not ripoffs like regret for alchemy. Alts, jewls and fusings are in the right place, that is what I would like to see for all orbs.

I know that for a lot of people it looks like "QoL" improvements but you have to consider the other side of the coin : if GGG implement Vendor rates for all curencies, the economy would become something totally different than what they want it to be, it would not be driven by the players themselves, but by the developers of the game, and they don't want that. I'm pretty sure that when it comes to the economy topics, putting a set price for all orbs via vendors is one of the last thing that GGG want to do with their game. As you mentionned, we do have some set prices coming from the game itself, and these function as markers, in game securities for preventing the economy to go totally nuts (master crafting prices have a pretty similar function too). However, the goal here is to keep a margin that is big enough to leave some space for a self-developing economy too.
IGN : @Morgoth
Last edited by Morgoth2356 on Mar 23, 2015, 10:39:46 AM
"
rrtson wrote:
"

Wait, are you saying that non-casuals are somehow not restricted by the same trading outlets? As far as I'm aware, everyone has access to the same exact trading tools.

"Pro traders" don't have a magic wand that they use to trade. They still have to deal with 3rd party sites, forums, trade chat, and noticeboard spam just like you do.

"

1) I suggest you re-read Chris's post. He says no to having in-game buyouts, has never said he supported it, and will likely never change his mind. He wants people to interact and barter.

2) I never argued against cross-instance trading. Cross-instance trading would be great because inviting someone to your party and then having to meet up in town or hideout is annoying. It seems like you're talking about completely different topics than what was addressed in the OP (i.e. forum trading integration).

Now post something Chris has said that says he doesnt like auctioning off items which is in essence another form of bartering albeit, it can be done offline.
"
"
rrtson wrote:
"

Wait, are you saying that non-casuals are somehow not restricted by the same trading outlets? As far as I'm aware, everyone has access to the same exact trading tools.

"

Now post something Chris has said that says he doesnt like auctioning off items which is in essence another form of bartering albeit, it can be done offline.

So are you just going to ignore the entire 1st part of my post?

Or do you have something that clarifies what you meant? How are casuals at a disadvantage when it comes to access to trading tools? Do "pro traders" have something up their sleeves that you don't?
✮ in-game @FTMFW
✮ twitch.tv/RRTSON
"
"
rrtson wrote:
"

You play less = you make less progress. Forums shouldn't even be a remotely viable substitute for spending quality in-game time. It's not just "oh I can chat with my online friends", or "hey I can check spectate what my friends are doing in-game". It's literally being able to affect the in-game economy from completely outside of the game.

Pro traders prefer the trade system we have now because they know if everyone could trade as they do everyone would get richer while they get poorer in comparison and that is bad for them. For everyone else it would be great.

And no, the bot argument doesnt fly when it comes to the AH as we already have people bot, its just the pro traders who do it and they will keep doing it if there was an AH it just wouldnt net them the same profit.

100 times this.

And for all the diablo3 ah haters, it is not a good exapmle of an ingame ah afaik(never played d3). There's 100 of better Ahs out there.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info