Item stat compare

I'm sure it's been asked before, but repeat business sometimes lead to success.

I know you guys probably dismissing this idea as it is a "lazy way" to do things, but you sacrifice a more valuable thing: play time.

When people compare things, that means "sitting over" their stashes or browsing third party sites for hopefully better gear they're not playing. They're in the game but they not enjoying the game, meaning slaying mobs, looting and grinding and hoarding and all that things that make them want more and more.

This could be solved with just a tiny implemented function, which is item stat compare.

Basically you just hover over an item and it compares it's compared to your currently equipped one. In D3 green indicates positive, red indicates negative changes to stats. I think most players interested in DPS increase/decrease, movement speed and life/mana regen mostly. Secondary is life, armor, resistance, evasion and all the rest.

I know that probably you also think that not implementing this function will make you somehow stand out from the rest. Well your game already stands out by being one of the few in which people spend more time trade chatting and self comparing than actually playing. I'm not trying to be cinic here, but this hurts sales and the players also.

So please implement item stat compare.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
You can already press alt to compare items in stash or inventory to equipped ones. And theyre not going to hold hands with stat numbers like in D3.
"
You can already press alt to compare items in stash or inventory to equipped ones. And theyre not going to hold hands with stat numbers like in D3.

How hard would it be to just make it show "what would this item do if I equipped it?"

Why the fanyboy apologist stance? Because this one idea would make the game incredibly much better.
"

Ok, what am I missing? I hover over an item and hold down 'Alt' and I don't see more info.

Just started playing.

Thx
jonpfl
Last edited by jonpfl on Apr 18, 2015, 2:44:20 PM
jon: If you hover over a non-equipped item and press the "key pickup" button (you may have rebound it), it will show you your equipped item of the same slot next to it so you can do a side-by-side comparison.

For one thing, PoE is so incredibly more complex than something like D3 (whether you think that's good or bad) that it would be nearly impossible to present something like this in a concise form.

You have DpH, Dps, ApS, AoE, Crit %, Crit mult, accuracy, block %, resistances, life, mana, life regen, mana regen, etc, etc, etc, etc. Not to mention items with gameplay-changing effects.

A perfect example of how hard this would be to implement, and how it could be misleading, is accuracy in a crit build. The way that accuracy/crit work, is that accuracy is first rolled to determine if the monster is hit. Then, (assuming that the hit was also a crit) the accuracy is rolled again to determine if the crit is confirmed. This means that, regardless of what your accuracy and crit % chances on your character sheet say, your chance of successfully critting is actually (1-accuracy)^2*crit chance.

So while an item going from 95% accuracy to 90% accuracy might not seem like much, your chance of critting (assuming a static 50% crit chance) goes from 45% to 40%.

Not to mention how multiple pieces of gear can interact.

For another thing, PoE is not the same thing to everyone. Some people LIKE trading and the economy the way it works now.

Finally, PoE isn't a hand-holding kind of game. For better or for worse, it's geared at hardcore players, and almost exclusively caters to them. If you can't glance at an item's base stats and tell (roughly) what it will do for your build, then you'll just have to do a bit of extra work. As a corollary to this, most high-tier players don't look at individual items to see if it's an "upgrade". In most cases, their gear is a carefully crafted and interleaved set, picked to cover (and overcap) resistances, as well as provide as much of a few selected mods as possible (e.g. life).

As an example, these are my gloves on my elemental dervish:
-- I'd have to check the spreadsheet for the exact values, but I know that any "upgrade" must have approximately 45% Fire Res and 29% Chaos res (and more wouldn't help at all), and 317 Accuracy/67 Life (where more is an upgrade). Additionally, a few extra mods (like attack speed) would be a benefit. I don't need to see a comparison, because I know inherently exactly what the very restrictive needs are for that character in that slot (unless I do a full regearing).
IGN Stuns_McNutshot | Ichimans_McIchimans | Balls_McCritterson
I do the exact same thing tsftd.

I was primarily concerned with newbies. Remember, we were all newbies once a long time ago.

I know how hard would it be to do a honest to God item compare to do and to do any less would give false impressions about the game to newcomers.

Why I would like that +/- is because I wouldn't have to check back and forth between spreadsheets. For example you have two items in your stash that your current char can't yet equip.
You basically know what you are planning for the char and you can look for the changes in the spreadsheet, but if there was a quicker way: Wouldn't you choose that instead?

I know I would.

Most of my chars are already endgame mappers save a few who I'm currently rarely play with.

But I am constantly trying out new ones that I've overlooked in the past and if act 4 comes out "next Christmas" XD, then I will definitely do a few fresh ones, especially that Ice storm build with The whispering ice Vile staff. Would have been even better if they had put some cold damage on it as well. Say a chilling 15-30.

Anyway I still have hopes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info