[LOOKING TO UPDATE FOR 2.0] [1.3] DW (Soul Taker & Dory's) Crit Cyclone Acro, VP, 5.2k Life, 154k

Build got really screwed up with 2.0 - I'm working on updating it so I can go back to chopping through enemies!

BUILD UPDATED AS OF JUNE 10th, 2015! HOPE YOU HAVE FUN WITH IT ALL!

Thanks everybody who helped me out with suggestions, I hope you guys have fun trying this out.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A SOFTCORE BUILD. SORRY, HC GUYS - I'M NOT SURE IF THERE'S A WAY TO MAKE IT WORK 127%, BUT YOU CAN TRY! LET ME KNOW IF ANYBODY HAS ANY STRONG SUGGESTIONS AS TO HOW THIS COULD BE USED IN A HARDCORE ENVIRONMENT LET ME KNOW! Thanks and enjoy the guide.

I started off by using an awesome cyclone build created by ThePuppet, which can be found here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1196823

Suggest you check it out, it's a freaking awesome build.

So after toying around with the build I started to look into different ways I could improve the survivability and damage. I tried out many different gems, curses, passive trees, and skills - this is what I ended up with.

Video (More coming Soon™)
Normal Atziri Run: https://youtu.be/JpZXAK7cZ8U

Keep the upload date of the video in mind. This was with less life/damage than I have now.

Screenshots

Defensive:

Defensive FULLY BUFFED (Jade Flask + Vaal Haste + 3 Endurance Charges):

Offensive (HoA + HoT + Hatred):

Offensive FULLY SELF BUFFED (Hatred + HoA + HoT + Atziri Flask + Taste of Hate + Vaal Haste)

Passive Tree @ Level 94

http://poeurl.com/zppkkKH

Notables:

Vaal Pact. This is to counteract the massive amount of damage refelcted back to you in certain situations.

Acrobatics + Phase Acrobatics. I don't have the ability to stack massive amounts of armor, so I go ahead and pick these up and adopt Evasion/Dodge as one of the main forms of mitigation for this build. I think Evasion/Dodge is awesome, and love how it's been working with this build thus far.

Ondar's Guile. Double chance to evade projectiles. It's right along the way, basically a free bonus to an already awesome mechanic.

I basically took the base tree from the guide I linked above, and swapped a couple of passives around (Took out Power Charges, Took out Mace-Only nodes, added in some more generic One handed nodes, got Attack Speed cluster near VP, maybe a couple of other changes I can't recall at this moment of writing.)

Bandits were:
Normal - Oak
Cruel - Kill All
Merciless - Kill All

Gear

Helmet:

An absolutely insane amount of DPS gained from this one item. Flat phys scales sooo much in this build, also a MASSIVE boost to your Crit Multi. Keep in mind massive amounts of damage taken. Huge risk, huge reward.

Rat's nets me about a 45k DPS loss. Starkonja's a 50k loss.

I'd probably recommend a Starkonja's for an HC variant of the build, though. Life makes it a billion times better in regards to survivability over other unique helmets, though, you could also get a nice rare with Accuracy/Life/Rezi for similar gains. All up to you.

Chest Piece:

Belly, in my opinion, is one of the best chest for Melee (or life based in general) builds. Getting up to 8 passive points worth of life is absolutely crazy. I was using an Atziri's Splendour before I picked up this chest and was quite shocked when I gained nearly 600 HP from this chest. (TL;DR: 40% HP >>>>> +100 HP)

This isn't necessary at all, though. Feel free to tinker around with things like Lightning Coil and even Splendour like I did - even a rare chest would suffice.

I have not tried out a Carcass with this build, and honestly don't plan to. I wouldn't want to make this feel too squishy, but I do not know how much damage you could gain from it all - even something like Daresso's might work. I'll save those experiments for a later date. Right now I'm really loving how beefy I feel with 5,2k life.

Gloves:

Crit/Crit Multi/Attack Speed. Awesome DPS gloves. If you need to swap out for something that can cap your Rezi's go for it. I have tried the Rampage gloves, and I don't like them - they seem really 'niche' and the damage you gain from the buff is pretty lame, would not recommend, but as always, try them out if you really want.
Let me know if you find a viable alternative (Atziri gloves?), I'm curious as to what other gloves can match up to this (if there are any at all).

Boots:

I needed to cap out on Rezi. Life & MS, standard stuff. These can also spawn with INT which is definitely something we need! So if you manage to find some good Amour/ES boots you're basically set.
Had everything I needed (In regards to int and resistances) so I went ahead and Master Crafted the Strength for even more Life & Melee Physical Damage.

Belt:

You want to finish capping your Resistances, and as much life as possible. After that you can look for a decent WED roll, and if you're lucky you'll find it on a good base (Either more Life with a Leather belt, or more damage on a Rustic Sash).

Meginord's seems to be decent, though, trying it up against the belt I am currently using nets me a bit of a DPS loss, as well as a bit of life lost, and of course the resistances.

Atizir's belt doesn't even seem to be worth trying out.

Rings:

FLAT PHYS. FLAT PHYS. FLAT PHYS. Life. ACCURACY. Other resists you might need. Rings are always a niche thing, every character has different needs. The way I see it is that you should always try to get as much damage on your jewelry as possible, as there are a lot of unique stats that can only roll on rings/ammies.

Amulet

If you can find a nice LEGACY ammy you are set. I chose to stack as much DPS as I could with this piece, but if you need more resistances or stats I'd go ahead and prioritize over more deeps. Can't deal damage if you're dead. But: Phys Damage, Crit, Crit Multi, Life, Life Leech is Nice, Rezi if you need it.

Weapons:

Dory's for more elemental damage, and decent Physical DPS (~311, not bad). The Prolif on it is just the icing on the cake, as it makes HoA extremely OP and makes map clears so much cleaner. ST for the massive mana cost of Cyclone. Before I switch to this variant of the build I was at a 188 Life cost with Cyclone fully linked up - I didn't feel comfortable spending that much as I was VP and had to be very cautious of any extra casts I made which could have led to my death. I definitely prefer not having to worry about that.

Flasks:

I swap out according to the situation.

With Atziri's Flask & Taste of Hate I never have to worry about random Elemental Reflect mobs (Unless it's a -Max or Elemental Weakness map).

Gems

4-Link: Cyclone - Concentrated Effect - Physical to Lightning - Weapon Elemental Damage
5-Link: Add in Melee Physical Damage
6-Link: Add in Faster Attacks

I swap out Melee Physical with Life Leech in Physical Reflect Maps - WED with Life Leech in Elemental Reflect maps (Your best bet would be just to not run Ele reflect at all).

HoA - Increased Burning Damage - Reduced Mana - *Elemental Prolif From Dory's*

This is kind of the delicious cream filling inside of the already magnificent doughnut. Since it's linked to Proliferation, the massive amount ignite damage you're putting on the enemies you kill with your massive hits get transferred to other enemies, so if you miss a mob or two they usually die without you even having to hit them. Such a great utility that proves to be one of the most convenient parts of the build, in my humble opinion.

Standard CoDT setup - feel free to tinker with the levels, I'm comfortable with this setup.

Vaal Haste - Vaal Haste / Grace (Swap out for certain bosses/maps if you'd like!) - Increased Duration

I usually go double Vaal haste. Clearing maps in 3-4 minutes is always great!

Hatred - Reduced Mana - Leap Slam - Faster Attacks

Obvious choice for the 60% Damage aura would be Hatred. You *could* swap for Haste if you felt like it, get some more clear speed (I mean, how much DPS do you really need to clear lower level maps? You'd probably be better off from the movement speed alone). Leap Slam to get around those nooks and crannies, faster attacks for maximum leapin'. Also - no mana cost is amazing.

HoT - CoH - Warlord's Mark - [Empty Slot]

HoT for damage, and application of curse(s?).

The build I linked before could make use of a dual curse mechanic, as this build. I haven't gotten around to trying it, as I do prefer the extra beefiness I get from the life on my ring, and Warlord's Leech makes it so I never have to worry about those pesky Reflect mobs in random maps.

Y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶a̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶A̶s̶s̶a̶s̶s̶i̶n̶'̶s̶ ̶M̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶P̶o̶w̶e̶r̶ ̶C̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶s̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶m̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶a̶h̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶l̶e̶v̶e̶l̶s̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶I̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶x̶t̶r̶a̶ ̶p̶a̶s̶s̶i̶v̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶m̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶g̶o̶a̶l̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶s̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶.̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶D̶P̶S̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶c̶h̶ ̶C̶R̶A̶Z̶Y̶ ̶n̶u̶m̶b̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶d̶o̶.̶ ̶

Tried it, lost like 50k sheet dps and probably a hell of a lot more theoretical DPS - definitely wouldn't recommend. You could do it if you really wanted to, though...

I'll try to get some more videos out as soon as possible for more specific examples of how freaking awesome this build is, and I might even stream a bit if there's some interest to see some action live, answer questions and do a bit more theory crafting, and watching some bosses getting absolutely decimated is always cool, too.

Infinite IC Variant for the lulz

So, I was suggested by /u/graemega Over on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/2z24ga/my_physele_dual_wield_cycloner_vs_apex/cpfwj2g) to try making use of the increased skill duration nodes. I tried, and I freaking LOVE IT.

I'm on a ~13 second Immortal Call, 5 Endurance Charges, ~5k HP, and 106k DPS (Yes, a downgrade, but still MORE THAN ENOUGH TO ABSOLUTELY DOMINATE END GAME CONTENT).

With Enduring Cry on Weapon I can now keep Immortal Call up INFINITELY. This COMPLETELY NEGATES ALL PHYSICAL DAMAGE.

New gem setup:

Everything else is the same.

Here's the tree I'm using: http://poeurl.com/zhcFeDa

Stats:

This is definitely slower, and definitely 'clunkier.' I'm not going to try to coat it up. But this DOES make the build mostly invincible, and solves a lot of the defensive problems it had before.

If I want to get back up to 136k Tooltip DPS with this setup I'll have to wait 5 Levels. Honestly would just be overkill, and I can't even imagine how insane it would be to reach that milestone.

Thank you all for the amazing suggestions! Cheers and have fun!

Last edited by ClumsyParasite on Sep 19, 2015, 1:55:25 PM
Why not run snakebite + blood rage? I'd imagine that's especially viable in SC, while giving you a huge boost in dps, potentially over maligaros
IGN @Badwald
"
grimwald wrote:
Why not run snakebite + blood rage? I'd imagine that's especially viable in SC, while giving you a huge boost in dps, potentially over maligaros

I'd definitely try it out if I had a pair! As for the Blood rage... Well, I do have some gems I could switch out. Life leech and frenzy charges seem really nice, and I could see myself being able to handle the chaos damage

Maybe when I get home from work I'll fiddle around with those choices
Build looks awesome, now, to grab a 6l belly . ..

If you're using phys to lightning, isn't the life leech from blood rage calculated after the conversion?

Last edited by I_Are_Noob on Mar 15, 2015, 2:43:13 AM
I haven't played for a while, waiting for act 4.

But I had to log in and say, that was freakin' awesome ;)

Kudos Meat!

Legit HC/SC Trades: /view-thread/545463
Very nice and relatively cheap build for that deps! Well done.
Mirror of Kalandra?
thank you for sharing your wonderful build, however looking at it i can see obvious bottlenecks in dps, i believe i can work on the concept of your build and improve it to become potentially one of the highest dps skills in the game, thanks.
Running this on a shadow 5l carcass, one useful tip: link blind onto your HoT. It's small but every little bit helps
Thank you so much for the kind words, everybody - I'm pretty proud of this!

"
thank you for sharing your wonderful build, however looking at it i can see obvious bottlenecks in dps, i believe i can work on the concept of your build and improve it to become potentially one of the highest dps skills in the game, thanks.

I'm looking forward to level 95, by that point I ought to have 5 Power Charges and Dual Curse, so definitely an improvement in Sheet DPS and Theoretical DPS.

I posted on Reddit and there were some other mentions of trying this out on Duelist/Ranger, which might bring me to believe it is definitely possible to improve the DPS of this build even further! That excites me and is one of the main things that keeps me hooked to the game.

Constant improvements is what I strive for, if anybody else has some lovely suggestions feel free to message me or post here, I definitely want this build to be the best that it can be!

Thank you, again, everybody, and have fun with the build!
Last edited by ClumsyParasite on Mar 15, 2015, 3:12:22 PM
I made a similar build a few months ago as a duelist, still functional. I do have a guide in the duelist section if you want to check that out.

I should mention that a duelist/shadow start would be far, far more efficient. The beginning templar nodes are useless for this build, which is why my skill tree goes only as far as galvanic hammer. I would give a link but am currently on phone.

I am also very jealous of that gear. Wish I could afford a legacy crit multi ammy. With one of those and a maligaro's and 3 more levels I could easily hit 150k cyclone dps on auras alone.

I have a few more thoughts that I'll be posting when my laptop is fixed. Typing on a phone is a pain.
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info