Monsters that ruin the game (not a QQ thread, only pure feedback)

Everyone (me too) hate devourers (invisible mobs), drop bears (invisible mobs, again) or titty bitches (exagerated damage).

But i have in mind some other mobs that ruin this game for their mechanics (little wall of text ahead):

A) CROACKING CHIMERALS. These damn IDIOTIC mobs just spawned for me in merciless scepter of God (lvl 67 monsters). I am currently building an arc/incinerate CI witch (lvl 70 now), and i have not stellar gear and not optimal ES value in comparison to the very good players ("only" 9.000, while many others reach well over 13k). Long story short... a group of EIGHT blue ("swift croacking chimerals") spawned, and they have keeped spamming their damn leap attack ALL AT ONCE. Continuously. Endlessly...
Not a single arctic breath.. not a single kick.. NO. Only a "chain" of chimerals creating a "rainbow".. an endlessly (super fast) moving "snake" made out of frogs. One single leap of all of them (the first one, OBVIOUSLY FROM OFF SCREEN -.- )... and i was under 2k ES (from 9k!!!!!). 8 monsters overleaping one up another in the same exact squared centimeter. Tell me if this is not a broken mechanic... :/

That room looked like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5sQL7q_IOI

B) TOO FAST MOVING ONES. These i hate the most. In a game where armor sucks (and don't come to me saying "Ehy Wispo, use Lightning coil"!!!, because 1) it's too difficult to right colour for spell caster, and 2) ehrr, i play ES XD ), positioning is everything. But too much often, you must face rares with haste aura (that spread to allies, too), and well... they can cover an entire screen in less than a sec!!! But there are also some white ones TOO DAMN FAST!!! I am talking about the "undying" named ones (aristocrats etc), that spawn in the usual group of 7-8 and surround you in an instant, bashing your toon with physical damage all at once in a blink of an eye. You move away from point A to point B of the room, and... half a second later, a new physical damage bashing from 8 mobs all at once

C) "SUMMONERS". Brutus, Mother of the hive, Defilers, "Bringer of bones" types, Carrion queens etc. Now tell me... it's reasonable to have an entire army on the screen? We players must invest for having one single skelly more to summon... while some enemies can spawn allies WITHOUT A CAPPED NUMBER!!! Not every one have/wants to use an area attack (e.g. flameblast) or a penetrating attack (spectral throw).. nor is reasonable to carry around a Detonate gem only for exploding skellies ONE BY ONE (slowing the pace of the game) to counter those stupid Defilers (Defilers obviously hiding in the dark, so you don't notice them.. unless you found the entire room you just cleaned... revived after 5 seconds!!!)

D) ICE ONES. Arctic breath ones (Croacking chimerals... hate over 9k!!!!). Freezing pulse ones (Undying aristocrats... hate over 9k!!!!). Ice shot ones (Archer statues). Maybe my Saturated mana flask OF HEAT has finished the coal to burn to heating me, because... it says "20,90 seconds duration", and says also "IMMUNITY to freeze AND CHILL during flask effect", but... i pop the flask, and the anti cold shield last only a second, then i continue being chilled for the rest of 20 seconds). Again... exile slowed, pace slowed... feeling of dulliness... BOREDOM

In my opinion, these are mechanics that must be absolutely changed
Last edited by Wispo on Mar 5, 2015, 7:52:24 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Remember, this is not a QQ thread.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
Ant, you know they're right. Even if it seems to be a bit emotionally charged. Don't do that.

Oh, I agree with (parts of- specifically part C) the OP. I hate the endless enemy spam we have now- I have always and will always think it is terrible.

Sorry... my ability to take this forum seriously has eroded to a pathetic little nub.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
Last edited by Antnee on Mar 5, 2015, 5:11:59 PM
"
Yes, basically.

A)Croaking chimerals are everything wrong with this game. Enough threads have said that.

B)Fast moving mobs promote rampant desync. Plain and simple.

C)I gave a lot of private feedback to GGG recently regarding this ridiculous tendency to just allow bosses to spawn infinite minions. Merveil is a BIG offender here. Her statues from the first form have a lot of health, hit pretty hard and can very quickly overwhelm the screen to create one of the least fun gaming experience in my not-short gaming life.

D) Freezing/chilling is currently too prevalent. It slows the game down and makes it really, really tiresome.

I really thank you for your words: they come from a far experienced PoE gamer than me, so i understand that my thinks are not wrong. I would like a passive that grants immunity to chill and a passive that gives immunity to freeze: there are too much ice mobs in the game, and it's not nice to have to take 3 points only to avoid a 50% or so of chance of being chilled.

And for the endless spawning... this is just an antique game design. I have forgotten Merveil, yes... but there are 2 other hateful summoner mobs: Vaal flesh smith, and... MINARA ANEMINA!!!! Damn how much i hate her -.-

Let's tell the truth: summoners are hateful because they hide in the back rows, shielding themselves behind tons of mobs. If you want to kill the font of the army, you must be physically (= not mitigated-lly) bashed by the army itself. And you must have a penetrating, offscreen reaching skill (because many summoners summon minions from offscreen. E.g: the red unique vitality experimenteer in lunaris first floor, carrions... or minara herself!!!)
Last edited by Wispo on Mar 5, 2015, 5:44:57 PM
I have been bothered by the over use of cold and freeze since Act 3.

Every statue archer uses cold arrow and the damn leaping frogs from the frozen hell of despair.

The problem is the lack of gear that combats it as a balance. D2 had many items that prevented being frozen that were easy to get. Here? The slippers I can wear at level 1. (And I wear them as long as I can because of it)
^icetomb prevents any chill effects and can carry you well into mercilles moonyu.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Its never dropped for me.

In D2 there were many items that were common drops that could prevent being frozen.

Here?
"
Yes, basically.

A)Croaking chimerals are everything wrong with this game. Enough threads have said that.

B)Fast moving mobs promote rampant desync. Plain and simple.

C)I gave a lot of private feedback to GGG recently regarding this ridiculous tendency to just allow bosses to spawn infinite minions. Merveil is a BIG offender here. Her statues from the first form have a lot of health, hit pretty hard and can very quickly overwhelm the screen to create one of the least fun gaming experience in my not-short gaming life.

D) Freezing/chilling is currently too prevalent. It slows the game down and makes it really, really tiresome.

I don't think anyone likes those leap frog mobs. They do incredibly high damage and not always easy to avoid if the mob count is high enough. I think the leap frogs would be a lot better if they reduced their damage. Still I consider them more of an annoyance than game-breaking. Although the leap frog invasion boss has insane damage, I've been one shot by that boss numerous times even with max resists and at 2,800 life, though it prob is due to him doing part chaos damage I believe.

Also, I agree about the infinite minion bosses. This is a huge annoyance and depending on the build potentially game-breaking, for Merveil at least. I recently decided to level up an old favorite build, a 2-hand groundslammer and I got wrecked terribly at Merciless Merveil 1st form even with max cold resist, just due to not being able to clear out the statue minions fast enough, even with a $L and a Geofri's Baptism. Merveil was in a pack of around 20 statue minons that would respawn a new minion everytime I'd kill them. My toon probably died over 30 times just trying to beat her 1st form. Merciless Vaal was trivial compared to Merc Merveil for the toon.

I have never understood GGG's decision to give Merveil and also Brutus infinite minions. This change especially makes it more frustrating for new players. Brutus and Merveil were already at a good difficulty for new players with little knowledge of game mechanics and helped teach those players the importance of Armor and Evasion and Resists on gear. I've often wondered if the changes were made in an attempt to slow down racers who were able to speed through the act 1 content much too quickly for their tastes, but if that is the case, the experiment had little effect on racers. Top racers are still able to complete all of act one in around 25 minutes. If they were concerned about the difficulty of those bosses, I think it would have been much better to increase their overall damage slightly instead of give them an infinite minion mechanic, which comes with some pretty big drawbacks, such as making it harder on melee builds.
"Come along fool, a direct hit to the senses will leave you disconnected."
Last edited by KimchiGirlx3 on Mar 5, 2015, 6:30:02 PM
I actually like the Croakers more than I hate them. Nice challenge, imho.

What I don't like is a lack of telegraphing. I don't t think Croakers should be able to begin a leap from off-screen. Give players a chance to see the windup, even if it's a large pack of them, and I'm fine. Arctic Breaths from off-screen are also fine; just change their AI to do that first, then the projectile telegraphs the Croaker so a leap after that (even slightly off-screen) is okay.

Fast monsters are okay if they're not much for gear checks. Virtually unavoidable and hits weak? Okay; mild gear check. Unavoidable and hits like a Mack truck? Not okay.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 5, 2015, 6:33:42 PM
@Kimchi, infinite minions is a dps check and is there to facilitate flask charges.

Both are active skill checks in the game.

"do you reach the dps check and have the knowledge to know if you can pass it or not before entering the boss room"

And flask's is self explanatory use them in tandem with the dps check.

I would argue if you cant beat the minions faster then they are spawned, that's the game trying to tell you to upgrade your gear or optimize your build for a better result.

A lot of things mentioned here, if reverted to how it used to be, would just give the same result = even more cakewalk for ranged characters.

Only thing i could get behind is giving some of these mobs the same status as voidbearers (far shot) which would facilitate melee's ability to handle them up-close where they get pretty absurd chain damage going.

(lmp arctic breath for example, similarly freeze pulse and chimerals)

Other then that, the debufs are active traits to them and are there to place you in danger, exactly the reason why you dislike them.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Mar 5, 2015, 6:40:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info