Worried about new leagues: What to build?

I know the leagues are far off, but it's not too far off. Now, both Anarchy and Torment, I've ran dual strike Shadow. However, both times I've played during a somewhat stable economy, and was able to easily upgrade gear when I needed it through self find.
What I'm worried about is when the new league hits, and what a cheap, self find, good clearing build I could use when it eventually does.
I know, we have to keep nerfs, buffs, ect. But I want to play from day 1 and start on an effective path, and I'm wondering if there's maybe some builds that will remain /somewhat/ untouched that I could run from the beginning. I'm the kind of guy who likes being efficient and what not, so I want to be prepared.
It's too early to say for sure, but any self-found builds in the Builds Compendiums would probably work.

It's reasonably easy to theorycraft at least something for this situation. Stuff that has been adjusted several times in the past few major patches probably won't be touched (as much) as other skills.

And if you're definitely going self-found, perhaps stick with casters, as they don't rely on hard-hitting weapons to dish out damage. My own variation of a Fireball Witch worked reasonably well this league, as did my Flameblast Regen Templar (may not work as well now since nerf). I went totally self-found and have two moderately successful characters - they're able to run 74+ maps without too much trouble. And the Fireball Witch has sooo much more room to improve with gear upgrades and additional levels.
We usually get info on the new skilltree as well as some of the balancing changes about a week before the new leagues start so there should be enough time for planning then.

Not sure if there will be another crit overhaul, but if not, you can do any crit caster and it will work well into endgame. Some generic and pretty optimized crit caster build would be this: Fire crit AoE caster.
I designed this build to be modular so you can easily change it to any other element, AoE or non-AoE, projectile or non, crit or non-crit - or even CI, like for example this CI crit Arcer. If you open both links next to each other, you will see that the backbone pathing is the same and i simply switched what clusters i took on the way as well as some pathing changes in the periphery of the build.
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
You can count on melee being the flavor of the week that's for sure.
"
SponTen wrote:
It's too early to say for sure, but any self-found builds in the Builds Compendiums would probably work.

It's reasonably easy to theorycraft at least something for this situation. Stuff that has been adjusted several times in the past few major patches probably won't be touched (as much) as other skills.

And if you're definitely going self-found, perhaps stick with casters, as they don't rely on hard-hitting weapons to dish out damage. My own variation of a Fireball Witch worked reasonably well this league, as did my Flameblast Regen Templar (may not work as well now since nerf). I went totally self-found and have two moderately successful characters - they're able to run 74+ maps without too much trouble. And the Fireball Witch has sooo much more room to improve with gear upgrades and additional levels.

Probably should've also mentioned I did indeed buy stuff when needed in Anarchy (Mightflays, 5L) and DEFINITELY do lots of trading just in the past few weeks I've been playing again
"
BottomKek wrote:
Probably should've also mentioned I did indeed buy stuff when needed in Anarchy (Mightflays, 5L) and DEFINITELY do lots of trading just in the past few weeks I've been playing again

If you're trading, there shouldn't be a single problem. Unless you're trying to absolutely maximise your potential DPS/tankiness for every "dollar" you spend. If that's the case, I can't help you, as I play mostly self-found. But my guess is you won't be able to tell until the patch notes are fully known and the leagues have begun, as there could be general, sweeping changes to the meta game.
"
SponTen wrote:
But my guess is you won't be able to tell until the patch notes are fully known and the leagues have begun, as there could be general, sweeping changes to the meta game.

Agreed, there will most likely be some noticeable balancing changes as well as new skills and a ton of new content. At this point, my guess is as good as anyone elses.
When these changes are announced, there will be a lot of hype and praise and even more whining and there will probably be adjustments based on feedback and ongoing internal testing.
I have a few builds planned that i wanted to test for a while but didn't find enough time to do but it's too early to speculate on what will be.

I would assume that there will be around a month between the announcement of the new content and the start of the new leagues. So at this point it is pretty safe to assume that the current leagues will go on for a couple more weeks so why not start a new build now?
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
"
vargorn wrote:
"
SponTen wrote:
But my guess is you won't be able to tell until the patch notes are fully known and the leagues have begun, as there could be general, sweeping changes to the meta game.

Agreed, there will most likely be some noticeable balancing changes as well as new skills and a ton of new content. At this point, my guess is as good as anyone elses.
When these changes are announced, there will be a lot of hype and praise and even more whining and there will probably be adjustments based on feedback and ongoing internal testing.
I have a few builds planned that i wanted to test for a while but didn't find enough time to do but it's too early to speculate on what will be.

I would assume that there will be around a month between the announcement of the new content and the start of the new leagues. So at this point it is pretty safe to assume that the current leagues will go on for a couple more weeks so why not start a new build now?

I have.
I'm just wondering about the new league, as I intend to be on when it starts.
I think this deserves a bump with announcement of a 1 month
I was thinking Fireball or Arc, what would be better (and cheaper)?
Arc.
IGN @Ostropalca

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info