Chicken Pot Pie

Just made my first pot pie from scratch. Its amazing how good they taste with out all the preservatives and who knows what else.

Salt, pepper, dried spinach and dried purple onion for spices. Simple and wonderful. The chicken was leftover from when I slow roasted one earlier until the meat just fell off the bone.

Too bad I_NO isn't hungry...
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Sounds like a good way to start the evening.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Ummmm, leftovers for lunch today.
Ah...No?
Just wondering. Are you drunk right now by any chance?
I'm pretty sure "I could have been a contender" was a Marlon Brando line from Raging Bull.
Sorry I got it mixed up with De Niro. Its been a long time.
"
Moonyu wrote:
Just made my first pot pie from scratch. Its amazing how good they taste with out all the preservatives and who knows what else.

Salt, pepper, dried spinach and dried purple onion for spices. Simple and wonderful. The chicken was leftover from when I slow roasted one earlier until the meat just fell off the bone.

Too bad I_NO isn't hungry...

Moon, could you please post the recipe/cooking insTructions? Sounds awesome and I was looking for some inspiration for a nice spring dish.
I tend to cook on the fly as it were, but I can give you the basics.

I started with having chicken leftover from a slow roast I did earlier. These I out in the freezer until I could figure out what to use it for.

The pie started with two small white potatoes cut into small pieces. I put these in a large skillet with the dried onion, a pat of butter, salt, pepper and the dried spinach. (I also added a touch of olive oil to help)

While it got going, I chopped the baby carrots into small pieces and two stalks of celery. I added with with a can of chicken broth to the potatoes and waited for it start to boil.

Then I added the chicken. I like my chicken a little larger in a pie like this, so I more pulled it apart than cut it.

Once it started bubbling again I added half a stick of butter cut into small squares and waited for them to melt in before adding the flour.

Now a rue calls for equal parts flour to butter, but I only used about a third of a cup and it thickened right up.

Next I took a 9" pie pan and layered the bottom with a pie crust. Added the skillet and topped it with another pie crust. Moisten the edge of the top crust to get a good seal.

Make sure it has vents on top and into a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.

Wait a couple of minutes and serve.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info