Dual claw + Acrobatics, Help - survivability and tips

You obviously get less DpS increase from the Increased Critical Strikes than from the Increased Critical Damage support gem. The choice to still take it in my build suggestion was deliberate and based on achieving a more consistent and safe gameplay.
I think of it more as a defense than offense based choice due to being able to consistently freeze/shatter mobs you attack. My old CI dual claw build, however, had a similar approach to what you suggested since it could easily get 6+ maximum power charges and use Blood Rage for free frenzy charges/attack speed.

Since the op specifically asked about a life/acrobatics based version and its survivability, i think this version would be slightly better fitting until he reaches a high enough level.

About Mind Drinker: you are right, it isn't required for the mana leech but the extra maximum mana bonus is nice since it inceases your leech speed. In an alternative version i have been playing around with, i went to the Duelist start instead of the part around Revenge of the Hunted (and also got Mana Flows there for more max mana/mana leech speed). What you suggested at the end of your post sounds similar (probably except mana flows i assume) but the skilltree link seems to be broken or cut off somehow.

Regarding Multistrike: it is mostly a personal thing but i hate using it on most builds. I just think it looks way too silly when hitting with 6+ aps and that auto-targeting mechanism often annoys me since i prefer to have better control of what i hit.
From a pure min/maxing point of view, however, it is one of the most efficient supports - unless you deal so much damage per hit that you waste one of the three swings more often than not. In that case you would get higher effective DpS with another support (still lower tooltip though).
In many cases it comes down to a matter of personal preference and also the level of gear one has available.

I even played around with making a dual claw evasion/armor hybrid Duelist but in the end i switched to dual crit sword Static Strike with BoR and Thief's Torment - mostly because i already have several dual claw chars and wanted to both try out Static Strike, how well dual crit swords work with the 1.3 skilltree - and if i can get my resists far enough overcapped by having so many slots occupied due to those uniques and dualwielding* ;).

Spoiler
so far the build is doing great and feels very powerful with high survivability. A solid amount of life, 10k armor and 25k evasion + Ondar's with flasks up as well as a ton of DpS make it great fun to play but getting enough resists on the remaining gearpieces wasn't easy.
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
You guys are going a bit too deep here imo. I'm not saying any of you're wrong but OP is clearly a relatively inexperienced player and he's not looking to min-max his char. So debating over whether ranger is better (I think it is too) or if he should use Crit damage, Critical Strike Chance or PCoC is kinda unnecessary (for now at least). He just wants to know if it was viable.

@zSavage, Claws of the Magpie is good cluster. Regular IAS nodes grant you 3%, the better ones 4% but these ones are 5%. Multistrike scales with attack speed (multi has more) and dropping the cluster becomes matter of min-maxing once you get a 6L. Going 5L would be Dual Strike - Splash - Melee Phys - Multistrike - Inc C.Dmg/Inc C.Strikes (not sure about this since didn't play my dual striker after they changed the values on these gems). Only 6th link would allow the use of FA and then dropping the Magpie nodes. Also, as stated, OP is not looking to min-max and this notable has a unique affix only available for claws so he should definately pick it up just for the coolness of it.

@SnorkleUK, Regarding Bloodseeker, it is insane. You ought to try it if you didn't. Once you have a good enough offhand you won't even notice the damage lack from main hand but the instant leech without reductions (like Vaal Pact gives and Acuity nowadays) with the leech from claw implicits, nodes and Blood Drinker is insane.

@vargorn, I agree about the claws of the magpie cluster but I'd argue that due to desync, multistrike and the auto-aim it provides is kinda must for all melee.

Last edited by Grughal on Mar 5, 2015, 11:51:53 AM
of course ive tried it, imo if u have a decent build and gear its uneccesary, and equally i dont think its enough to save a 98% life dual wield shadow from being ultra squishy. He wants advice and imo, best advice to give is start ranger and plan a 150%+ life build.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
of course ive tried it, imo if u have a decent build and gear its uneccesary, and equally i dont think its enough to save a 98% life dual wield shadow from being ultra squishy. He wants advice and imo, best advice to give is start ranger and plan a 150%+ life build.

Instant leech is a luxury and is redundant only when you got VP/Acuity. This build shuldn't get VP so till Acuity it's a very powerful affix to have. In solo play more powerful than some extra damage from better main hand IMO. Also, gives some identity to the build which is always cool.

And yeah, ranger is better but again, shadow dual claw is totally viable (it's at 5 points disadvantage or so), and ultimately it's a RPG so many people play a character they can relate most to.
My two cents from my shadow dagger, who faced some survivability issues too.

Lightning coil is a must when you use Abyssus. But it can cost a lot of dps to fix the lightning res. If you don't use abyssus, then you can probably just use any chest (heck, I've used Tabula up to lvl 90.5 with my dagger, and I use abyssus).

Two cwdt setups help a lot. One low level for EC and a maxed one for IC. I also have a self cast EC which I can use when entering fights.

2% ml is enough. You have it in your claw notable, hence Mind Drinker is not needed. If you need mana, take Soul Siphon or some other mana nodes where you don't waste on travel cost.

Increase crit damage gives about the same dps as Increase critical strikes. It's a very bland support now. Added Fire Damage does sensibly better and has a lower mana multiplier.

Attack speed is good ;). I use a slow bino so I'm stuck at 6.5 aps, so the bonus from blood rage is very welcomed. This is to add my stone to the Claw of the magpie discussion, though I can't give a real advice here as I've never played claws.

edit: added some precisions.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Last edited by Panini_aux_olives on Mar 5, 2015, 1:47:20 PM
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/852727

Would recommend looking at this build and thread for ideas on where to go

Have gone to level 84 with some ok gear , pretty fun indeed

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYAAdwEsQW1FCAV_Ra_GbQaOCP2JpUnLyo4LOkwcTB8NZI2PTpCPAU8LUX0R35KfUscS3hMYEz_TZJQR1FHUdlVS1b6Xz9gQWHiYqxjcGSvZU1nm2egaPJsjG1sbmlvV3fXd-N4DXxLfyuCm4TZh3aKOIw2jX2NgY2_j8GQVZVmlnSaO52qogCi2aOKpn-pbq4-r2ywkrDYsbO0xbVItfK3Pr02voq-p8Lsxq7K09Qj1fjWB9aK2L3dDd2o4XPjn-RR7DjtQe8O73zwH_zF_gr_kw==
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Like the symetrical look too much !!

Only run purity of elements and hatred as the auras .

Would suggest you run 2 anti cold flasks and a remove bleeding , cold is number 1 enemy imo !
If you're concerned about cold I highly recommend:

Quicksilvers make a great base because it's 6 seconds of freeze/chill immunity, has enough charges for 2.5 uses, and recharges quickly due to fast crits.
My character using just this flask can sustain freeze/chill immunity against the Necropolis boss, for example.

Also running a single surgeon's "insert name" flask of staunching is probably enough. I would recommend some kind of duration flask (not a life flask), such as a granite, jade, quicksilver, or quartz (quartz makes you look amazing as an added benefit).
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info