HellStrike build-thoughts

Hey everyone,

I want to present here my character which i built for the tormented league. it is a templar which deal damage mainly with storm call and lightning tendrils. for now i succeed to do rare lvl 75 map without dying, while 70-74 lvl magic lvl map are done easily.
the built is quite tanky, (4500+ HP) and does ~24K dps damage with the tendrils and ~2700 dp with the storm call which takes 0.16 s, so with the shock stack, it does a high AoE damage.

I'm now at level 83, and I be glad to hear your opinion to how improve my character so it will be in the "major league" of the builds (:

-what do you think of it in general?
-what improvement can i do in the skill-tree?
-what improvement can i do with my gear?
-what improvement can i do with my gems?

And any other things you want to say about it- i'll be glad to hear

here's my gear:

(should i change my armoe with this
which i still try to 6l?)

here's my tree:

Passive skill tree build

All comments are welcome!

Thanks in Advance (:
Last edited by Odnight on Mar 4, 2015, 5:08:14 AM
bumpbump
In general the build is ok, but has good improvement potential. Biggest flaw for me is, u have one recourse, which is just there and not utilized properly and it's es.

Gear:

Carcass jack is amazing for aoe build, i would definitely get that. Coral ring, amu and boots r ok, rest of the rares can get nice upgrade buy investing 1-5c for each slot. Get better flasks.

Gems:

Replace faster casting with lighting pen for storm call and with carcass u can use conc eff instead of inc aoe for nice dmg boost. I would also replace added lighting with faster casting for tendrils to reduce the root time. Buy i also have a question here, why use 2 aoe skills and not focus on one? I would use 4L vaal storm call instead of one of the skills.
Herald of thunder can not shock, so ele prolif is kinda wasted there, u could use lighting pen instead, or use curse on hit + ele weak or conductivity, or dont use any supports and try to use herald of ice.
What i have experienced with vaal molten shell and normal one is, when u activate vaal and normal gets proced, it overrides vaal and u loose it. So for me it was either vaal or normal. I would use vaal and instead of normal molten shell cwdt setup use the standard cwdt + ic + endu cry + inc dura.

Passives:

A little improvement can be done buy using 2x10 int points instead of 2x10 str and 1x10 int points to get into witch area. U got enough str on gear, this one point can be used to get 5% life on scion wheel and nett u more life.
As i said above, es is not utilized. U could focus on mana regen buy taking EB and mana/mana reg nodes in witch area, instead of getting skill cost reduction nodes. This way u will also get way bigger benefit of ur already taken mana regen nodes and will most likely be able to run at least lvl 15 AA.
One possible tree could look like this.
Wow, that's a really helpful and detailed comment! ty very much (:

in fact i wanted remove the tendrils, but i didn't knew with what, i'll try your suggestions and see what happen, wait for further updates.
BTW.

since my character is based on str+int, Carcass Jack is a bit problematic since i'm basically don't have enough dex, and i'm using mainly armor. what could be another good armor instead of it?
bump
I would just get dex on gear. As a templar u need 82 dex, with good rolls u will need only 2 items. Other uniq chests, good for ur build, will also requier dex, meaning belly of the beast(least dex needed, pain to roll 4 blue), cloak of defiance(would need to go with less auras) or lighting coil(same dex as carcass, pain to roll 4 blue). But if u would use any of those alternatives, u could also use ur atziris splendor.
U could also, es emergency solution, take 30 dex node on tree. Carcass is totally worth the effort. And since ur iron ring and gloves r pretty bad and can be replaced, u can look for items with dex on it.

U dont use iron will, so skipping str on items wont hurt ur much too much. If none of above satisfies u, u will need to stick to rare armors.

I see you went Armor/ES, and reduced mana costs instead of high mana regen, which is quite a bit unconventional. Most people will go Eldritch Battery and use Arctic Armor with Inner Force and Clarity, which is often more effective than low amounts of armor. You are playing the Torment league, so you could use the Scold's Bridle Torment-only unique and block all the damage you would take from it. It procs Vaal Molten Shell from the damage you deal to yourself.

But, if you wanna keep playing this Armor/ES version with 0 Dex that's fine too. In this case I would replace your shield with a very high armor shield and pick up the Sanctuary shield cluster that you are passing by directly. Endurance charges combo very well with armor, pick up the one you are passing by. You can put the Enduring Cry in 5L/6S chest until you really get a 6L.
The Elemental Proliferation on your Herald of Thunder does nothing, because it cannot shock, and the Added Lightning does very little because of the low damage effectiveness. Replace them with Conductivity and Curse on Hit. This will probably also allow you to replace Vitality with Determination for even more armor.
All this will make your Molten Shell go off very often. That can be dangerous vs reflect, but you probably already know that.
These changes will make your build a lot tankier vs physical and do less damage, which is up to preference, but it would be much better synergy with the way you chose to build.

Some general improvements:

You wasted a point by entering Witch on the lower path.
8% elemental damage in the Templar area not worth it.
4% cast speed nodes are probably better for you than 10% spell damage because you have very little on your tree. If you can sustain it.
Improvement on your Herald of Thunder as I mentioned above.
I personally like the gem setup on your damage spells I don't think you should change it.
You obviously want to use the Atziri chest as soon as you can, it's amazing.

Tree

Last edited by Zed_ on Mar 4, 2015, 8:51:12 AM
BUMP
Tnx for the replies.

few questions:

1. which flasks should i use in order to improve my charachter?

2. what order should i put the cwdt + ic + endu cry + inc dura so it will work properly?

3. if i want to change my gloves, what affixes and suffixes should i look for?

here my updated build- i wonder if to use EB or something else

tree
Passive skill tree build

thanks again for the comments, they help me improve myself alot!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info