Elemental Proliferation is fine.

I don't understand why everyone hates that gem, it's like we keep moving to one gem to another demanding it be toned down, it's a pattern I've watched since the corruption moved from the game to the players.

Burn damage just happens to work REALLY well with it, I've been using it since the dawn of time as well as probably the minority back in the days before time when no one really knew about freeze mine + proliferation. Please don't hit me! All I'm saying is that the mechanics behind proliferation is what makes the game fun, and asking to nerf it is asking to nerf a handful of people who use it to...well...make status effects transpire to other mobs for crowd control/AoE utility.

I've asked this in the past and I say it again, what are the approved builds that players accept as ok? We need to make a sticky or something with approved builds and gems so that no one will use the wrong gems and upset each other. Elemental Proliferation, if used right, does amazing things...I would hate to see it changed because everyone hates it due to burn damage. Let it go? Elemental proliferation is a good support that helps clear things faster, helps freeze users freeze better.

I have been a heavy fire user and had to walk away from it because of players asking for flameblast and other skills to be toned down over and over and over and over....now I'm afraid players might try summoner and whine about that as well. We, the silent minority, love to freeze, burn, and shock our foes on the entire screen. I do not feel overpowered, I feel empowered and in control when I see the results of elemental proliferation at it's best. On a final note, I never log in and think to myself "hmmm, how can I do the bare minimum damage and not upset players too much".

Whenever I work on a build now, I think...conceal it... don't feel it... don't let it show!
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
+1

I dont see why anyone complains about anything.
If crap is out of hand GGG will deal with it.

If it isn't wrecking pvp (which i dont play but respect their angle)
or
If it isn't an active god mode

stfu about it.
RNS be thy name.
Hardcore or GTFO!
Compare Prolif to other "screen wipe" support gems like LMP, GMP, Chain, Melee Splash. prolif has gotten off easy so far having no damage penalty whatsoever. This is something which really needs to change.

Sorry.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
I use GMP in my set-up, and I clear screens like no tomorrow. When I really REALLY wanna go big, epecially in Junlge Valley boss fight, I add chain for maximum over-drive. Most would think the damage reduction on those two gems is bad, but under the right use it becomes a monster.

Elemental Proliferation does a single thing, makes a satus move from one monster to the next, but you have to do that part yourself rather it be big damge or a shock or a freeze. GMP takes what you have and splits it in a big way, I can see it being reduced for shotgun effects. What good will nerfing it do? I asked this about the witch nerf as well, but was never happy with the answers by players...

If you are using GMP or Chain with burn Prolif you are nerfing yourself.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 1, 2015, 12:55:21 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
If you are using GMP or Chain with burn Prolif you are nerfing yourself.

Was reffering to the use of GMP. I myself no longer use Elemental Proliferation for the same reasons I no longer use Flameblast for the same reasons I almost stopped using freeze mine. Right now I have a new build, that I change out with GMP depending on the situation. Elemental Proliferation has always been a fine utility gem that does just what it's suppose to do, the burn damage works very well with it, as well as freezing or shocking, take that away and I'm not sure what use the gem is suppose to have.

What I was trying to say, is that I can kill faster and clear faster with GMP with my current set up, I had a flamblast witch but I quickly reset her skills to something else, and my call was right. I only play witches, and proliferation is the gem to go to whenever I want to increase the defense or offense of each elemental build. I have never felt it was overpowered to the point of needing a nerf. Everytime I do see some crazy build, it is the skill that triggers the proliferation that results in the cries for nerf. Elemental proliferation just does what it says it will do, what gem or skill triggered the result will widely vary, how much damage was done, how long the duration of the result, what resistance did the monster have, when it hits a weaker mob, the results are triggered around that mob to the next. To me, that is brillant, and fun!
Let's continue nerfing skills instead of nerfing the one gems that makes them clear an entire screen without effort.

"ok" got it.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
Let's continue nerfing skills instead of nerfing the one gems that makes them clear an entire screen without effort.

"ok" got it.

Peace,

-Boem-

I don't think so, friend. I'm all about power, always will be. I've just noticed through my lurking that the trigger to the cry for a nerf is usually associated with a skill being used, Elemental Proliferation to me, is just a innocent bystander to a fight, a witness if you would call it. Nerfing other skills is not the answer, but through watching I kinda see why Qarl_GGG had to do the dirty work of answering to the outrage to the recent nerf. When or if they nerf Elemental Proliferation, we have to consider what effects through all builds that use it will suffer, just because burn damage, which to my eyes... seem to be what everyone is fussy about. Or at least what caused the whole issue to stand up.

The minion explosion from the arrows was huge(I am talking about the Arror build that used MI); I don't think even my minions could deal that much damage in a single explosion, Elemental Proliferation took that explosion and triggered the effects to whatever was unfortunate enough to be near the explosion and in the radius of the AoE. But this isn't about that brilliant build or the recent nerf, it has some parts to do with it, but the grand picture is more than that.

You say that there is little effort to clear an entire screen with that gem set-up, but what more does one have to do in order to enjoy the fine taste of complete and utter chaos to the monsters at large who come at us with the intent to kill? How slow or fast should a player be allowed to dominate the trash mobs through burning, freezing, or shocking. The nerf to the recent build told me one thing, that the skill itself was never intended to be used in such a way... I would like to say that was the intention, and the retaliation from the players was to blame Elemental Proliferation.

But...the skill itself would still be a monster without Elemental Proliferation, I watched in awe as a player made quick work of Atziri with that build and while I loathe a nerf to that, I can almost see why they did it...almost. Bottom line for me is, I always admire a good and clever build that utilize something like MI and burning damage, Elemental Proliferation was just the icing on top of a well baked cake. Granted, with enough outrage and wishes my entire efforts to protect the gems of this game will meet with ill fate. I was against the nerfing of the witch starting area, it happened anyways.

I was making a fuss about the nerfing of Flameblast, it happened anyways and multiple times. I cringed when someone made a big deal about Freeze and Elemental Proliferation, to the Gods it seems that balance change was not so bad and calmed the storm. Elemental Proliferation is a beautiful and very clever mechinc to the elemental users such as I, and it will be a shame when or if it is touched. I do not see why a penalty should be applied to it, but we must consider that there are more fruits to this basket of rage.

Ok let me reverse my thought then for you.

How do you balance spells towards the content when a single gem turns them into a screenwide CC/AOE.

How do you balance around players who don't want to use proliferation when it exists and potentially quadruples it effective damage output for a single gem slot.

You can't.

And with the absence of a prolif nerf, every skill gem in the game is getting toned down in relation to it.

Flameblast got nerfed by 20%, are people bothered by it? Hell no, you can still spread it's damage output over an entire screen so who cares.

They could nerf flameblast by 60% like mirror arrow and it would still "work" as long as you have prolif in your links.

Now is flameblast at fault? Or is the prolif gem at fault?

Prolif is a More multiplier that only increases in potency exponentially to creatures on the screen, if that doesn't sound fishy to you, then i don't know what's left to say.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Ignite mechanic itself is made so it is either useless (in case of small hits) or OP (in case of hard hits). Without proliferation, however, ignite will always be useless, because you dont need burn on the enemy when you hit it like a truck (he'll die anyway).

Show me any build, that gets real benefit from ignite, but doesnt use proliferation. There are none, they just arent viable at all.

So, in regards to burn proliferation, nerfing or buffing proliferation gem is the same as buffing or nerfing ignite itself. Consider that.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info