Why the private profiles?

I can't speak for others, but if, for example, someone's giving me advice on how to roll maps, I mean, I would love to know if it's a level 97 Ranger or a level 57 Marauder.

So, why are people allowed to hide their profiles?
Ah Charan beat me to the punch.

For me personally, I made the change when I noticed some people were basing their comments on peoples characters rather than the content of their post.

#NeverGoing90
"
TwistedTrip wrote:
For me personally, I made the change when I noticed some people were basing their comments on peoples characters rather than the content of their post.

Because there are people out there that just want to find a reason to "nitpick" another just to make themselves feel better. While they are some validity in having someone who has experienced all the content be the one to prove someone wrong, it is not always the case. Relying on the player's character level only will not get your far in an argument.

Edit: Just to be sure, this is just my thought on the mindset of those players that have the mentality of high level characters = will know more than low level characters.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Feb 28, 2015, 12:21:28 AM
Oh god this crap again.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
For the same reason we're allowed to hide our supporter tags.
"
toyotatundra wrote:
I can't speak for others, but if, for example, someone's giving me advice on how to roll maps, I mean, I would love to know if it's a level 97 Ranger or a level 57 Marauder.

You did take the PoE certification test before you ever posted to the forum didn't you?

If someone is playing HC and they delete their dead and non-challenge characters, how would you ever know what level they reached? There are plenty of players who reach higher levels but really don't understand or care about game mechanics. A few recent example experiences off the top of my head- a level 93 character that didn't have the faintest clue about what elemental equilibrium was, or the level 94 who kept popping the strongboxes before they could be rolled, then died on the fourth blue strong box (not even a freeze/ice nova box) and blamed
the map maker's lag.

There's nothing wrong with people keeping their details private. 'Tis a silly notion that character level = knowledge.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
Because we have enough bullshit focusing on people's characters levels as it is. Were it not private, it'd be the only thing people talk about, the main judge of character, all puns intended.

It's the other way round for me. If you're level 83, for all I know, you have an insane build, know the game much better than I do, you just reroll all the time. If you're a private profile, for all I know, you're level 31 and don't even play the game.

"

It doesn't take much to tell the quality and validity of a person's posts. If they're talking shit, *someone* is bound to call them on it, politely or otherwise.

Mine will never be private because I get the giggles when people try it on me. It's so...cute.

I saw your profile, man. You have no idea how dangerously close we came to launching a campaign to get you to play the endgame content.

Twitter slogans were all ready:
#CharanFacerollin78s
#CharanYoloWhirl
#CharanUberService

:P
Last edited by toyotatundra on Feb 28, 2015, 12:49:12 AM
I have deleted two level ~90 characters, and I am no good at the end game, yet if I kept them would you think differently? Character level only has a reflection on time played, and they time you spend playing a game doesnt mean that you actually learned something, people put in varying levels of effort and many people like me have bad builds.

As pointed out above by like everyone, character level doesnt give posts validity and low character level doesnt make you wrong.
"
toyotatundra wrote:

Maybe because other players don´t want to be stalked by people like you?
I leave mine open as elitist bait. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info