Would it be too late for GGG to introduce paid expansion for Act 4

Yeah I instantly thought of a split community, I would probably pay because I love PoE but I would be worried and concerned about the sudden change in core belief.
#NeverGoing90
"
KimchiGirlx3 wrote:
what would happen if GGG made Act 4 a paid expansion

"
KimchiGirlx3 wrote:
without a way to opt-out of paying for the expansion besides not playing anymore

Spoiler

If GGG released ActIV as a p2p only I'd be ok with it. That second part tough? Yeah, you just went full monstamunch and I can only pray that nobody at GGG ever reads this thread.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/03/grinding-gears-wilson-talks-f2p-ethics-in-path-of-exile/

"WE'VE BEEN CAREFUL WHEN DESIGNING THE GAME SO THERE'S NO PAYING FOR GAME CONTENT OR ADVANTAGE IN THE GAME", he explained. "WE'VE PURPOSEFULLY DIVORCED ANY GAME MECHANICS FROM THE MONETIZATION."
"
FunkyFritter wrote:

You'd pay because you've already played the game and had a good time. What about all the people who haven't played POE before and will give it a try when they hear about act 4? How many of them do you think would be driven away by a price tag?

Trial version maybe? They can level up to 30 but no more. Enough to understand if the game is for you or not.
Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
"
Cadumal wrote:

If GGG released ActIV as a p2p only I'd be ok with it. That second part tough? Yeah, you just went full monstamunch and I can only pray that nobody at GGG ever reads this thread.

I think there was a misunderstanding of what I was meaning. I just meant everyone would have to pay for Act 4. If people were able to not pay for Act 4 and still play Acts 1-3 it would be too weird I think. I wouldn't want a situation where some of the people would be playing Acts 1-3 for free without ever being able to access Act 4 and other people would be playing all the acts cause they paid.

I think it's better for the whole game to become pay 2 play with the next expansion or just stay F2P, so their isn't a weird divide of paying players having access to more content than non-paying players.
"Come along fool, a direct hit to the senses will leave you disconnected."
Last edited by KimchiGirlx3 on Feb 28, 2015, 12:57:20 AM
"
PsionicKitten wrote:
You don't understand GGG's model if you're suggesting that.

They are free to play with ethical microtransactions that have have funded the game quite well. I've spent more on this game than most. Making it pay would hurt the trust they've built up with the people who agree with the ethical microtransaction system and prevent themselves from ever building that trust with new people.

"ethical"? The first time i´ve heard this word in context to an ingame-shop.

For myself i think "ethical" is far away from a game with an ingame-shop.
There isn´t any "ethical" aspect in tolerating rmt and selling some pixels for a large bunch of money.
I have spent a fair deal on this game, with the understanding that expansions would be free. If they all of a sudden asked for more money to continue playing I would never return. I like the fact that I am in control of how much I spend. To put it in perspective I have spent more on this game than I did buying all the mass effect titles on launch day plus all expansions and MTX items ever offered.
"
"
free_at_last wrote:
"
PsionicKitten wrote:
You don't understand GGG's model if you're suggesting that.

They are free to play with ethical microtransactions that have have funded the game quite well. I've spent more on this game than most. Making it pay would hurt the trust they've built up with the people who agree with the ethical microtransaction system and prevent themselves from ever building that trust with new people.

"ethical"? The first time i´ve heard this word in context to an ingame-shop.

For myself i think "ethical" is far away from a game with an ingame-shop.
There isn´t any "ethical" aspect in tolerating rmt and selling some pixels for a large bunch of money.

free_at_last

You've been around that long, and you've never once heard of GGG's microtransaction model as 'ethical'? Interesting.

That is what GGG call it, and it's what an overwhelming number of players consider it, in light of how pay to win most other free to play games' cash shops are.

You don't have to agree. Just understand that you will be in the minority if you don't.

simple examples:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/28/5451410/how-is-ethical-free-to-play-path-of-exile-faring

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/03/grinding-gears-wilson-talks-f2p-ethics-in-path-of-exile/

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/path-of-exiles-success-shows-players-appreciate-ethical-microtransactions

I didn´t wrote i disagree to f2p in the way GGG does it.
I just wouldn´t define it as "ethical". Because it´s a business. Nothing more.

But i really don´t need a discussion about ethical standards. It would lead to nothing.
So ethics stop mattering once you are a business, huh? That actually explains a lot!
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
As i wrote - i don´t need a discussion about the definition of ethical behaviour.
It leeds to nothing.

I have my definition about ethical behaviour, you have your definition.
For myself i disagree your point of view, that a company can handle ethical because a company have to make money. But that´s just my opinion not the ultimate truth.

Maybe i´m right, maybe i´m wrong....
"
free_at_last wrote:
I just wouldn´t define it as "ethical". Because it´s a business. Nothing more.

It's probably the most ethical businesses I've ever seen. "Here, we gave you the game for free. We are people though, we need to make money to live. If you like the game and want to support us, we'd appreciate it and be able to continue to make more for the game! In return, you get these cosmetic effects and/or additional account features. It's 100% up to you to choose to support us. Either way you get the game."

If being up front, giving your product for free and asking for and appreciating any amount of payment for your product isn't ethical, then what's the point? There's plenty of unethical companies out there that promise something, take people's money and then never deliver.

Of course if you don't know what the word ethical means then perhaps reading Charan's post may help with perspective.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info