Armor

Found the wall for my armor. Level 53, Act 3. Killed General whatshisname, but was stunned to death by a rare and his mod of shield chargers. Twice. I was so close to being able to use a much better weapon too.

Now I'm going to attempt the same thing with a duel wielder and see what happens.
Armor is way better than you guys are making it to be. Since the acro RIPPPP I actually end up going armor all the time.

Acro is good, but it doesn't help with physical spells, which are a huge problem, that's why people have to rely on coil or spell block or something. I don't see the problem if you have to use endurances on top of armor to make it effective. If you're getting armor points already, 2 endurances will come super cheap point wise. You don't need endurances all the time, just for nasty mobs.

There is another problem with acro: it makes the damage way more spiky, which is exactly what you DON'T want in this game, because spiky damage will kill you.

Acro/EV seems good at first sight because it gives you lots of free stuff, like being projectile attack immune. But in the end it sucks because it doesn't help much with main problem you're trying to solve, which is physical damage.

Critical strikes are armor's weak point, but it's super easy to solve: 3 Points in the tree and a unique belt and congratulations, now critical srikes will deal the same damage than normal hits.
http://slysherz.blogspot.com
"
DnAngel wrote:
Armor is way better than you guys are making it to be. Since the acro RIPPPP I actually end up going armor all the time.

Acro is good, but it doesn't help with physical spells, which are a huge problem, that's why people have to rely on coil or spell block or something. I don't see the problem if you have to use endurances on top of armor to make it effective. If you're getting armor points already, 2 endurances will come super cheap point wise. You don't need endurances all the time, just for nasty mobs.

There is another problem with acro: it makes the damage way more spiky, which is exactly what you DON'T want in this game, because spiky damage will kill you.

Acro/EV seems good at first sight because it gives you lots of free stuff, like being projectile attack immune. But in the end it sucks because it doesn't help much with main problem you're trying to solve, which is physical damage.

Critical strikes are armor's weak point, but it's super easy to solve: 3 Points in the tree and a unique belt and congratulations, now critical srikes will deal the same damage than normal hits.

Phase acrobatics (which is mandatory for any eva-base char) helps against spells, including physical spells.

Ondar's Guile dont make you projectile-immune, btw. It does so only against mobs with really low accuracy (usually - white trash only), while mobs with decent accuracy would still have a decent chance hitting you. Just like with armour, game shows you average "protection level" against a trash mob of your level, while you protection against a boss (which really matters) will be quite a different.

And as long as Immortal Call exists, armour wont be viable. Why invest into partial physical protection, when you can get benefits of complete immunity to physical damage?
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
And as long as Immortal Call exists, armour wont be viable. Why invest into partial physical protection, when you can get benefits of complete immunity to physical damage?

Hehe, I wonder what will happen when it starts to share the warcry timer with EC and warcries stop working with trigger gems :)

About accuracy, it doesn't vary nearly as much as damage, most enemies of same level have similar accuracy. It used to be different back when certain types of enemies had higher evasion and accuracy, now only evasion is different so I'd say just bosses, exiles and rares with 'accurate' mod have higher accuracy.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Mar 1, 2015, 7:13:55 AM
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
Phase acrobatics (which is mandatory for any eva-base char) helps against spells, including physical spells.

Firstly it's not mandatory (CI builds?). Yes it helps, but it's not enough. If you don't have a HUGE hp pool or something else backing it up, you will die to a physical spell. Thematically I like way more EV than I like armor, but I feel that EV is not as good. If you don't want to use a coil, armor is the way to go.

"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

Armor is viable. People underestimate how much you gain from switching from one big hit every X seconds to many small hits. The sooner you take damage, the sooner you can leech to full again. If a big hit ever comes by, you will probably be full because you were leeching the whole time, whereas in a EV build it's possible to take 2 medium hits in a row and die. CoDT covers this EV weakness very well, but it probably won't work work as well next patch.
From what I've seen here, the problem isn't armor being weak nor EV being strong. The problem is CoDT being too strong and synergizing better with EV.

Try to make an EV build without coil nor CoDT setups and check how far you can go. Just heads up: merc Weaver is scary.
http://slysherz.blogspot.com
"
Firstly it's not mandatory (CI builds?). Yes it helps, but it's not enough. If you don't have a HUGE hp pool or something else backing it up, you will die to a physical spell. Thematically I like way more EV than I like armor, but I feel that EV is not as good. If you don't want to use a coil, armor is the way to go.

If you are going to get Acrobatics, you will get Phase Acrobatics. It doesn't make sense to get Acrobatics without Phase Acrobatics.
Both armor and evasion need hp, that is not really an argument.

"
If a big hit ever comes by, you will probably be full because you were leeching the whole time, whereas in a EV build it's possible to take 2 medium hits in a row and die.

No, it is not possible to take 2 medium hits in a row. The hits you take are always set according to your evasion percentage. If you have a 66% evade, it will always be in this pattern hit-miss-miss-hit-miss-miss. If you have 50% evasion, it will be hit-miss-hit-miss, etc.

Edit:
"
Try to make an EV build without coil nor CoDT setups and check how far you can go. Just heads up: merc Weaver is scary.

Also, what does Merciless Weaver have anything to do with Evasion or Armor? It uses Chaos Ethereal Knives. Neither Evasion nor Armor help against Chaos damage.
Last edited by Starxsword on Mar 2, 2015, 5:18:10 AM
"
Starxsword wrote:
No, it is not possible to take 2 medium hits in a row. The hits you take are always set according to your evasion percentage. If you have a 66% evade, it will always be in this pattern hit-miss-miss-hit-miss-miss. If you have 50% evasion, it will be hit-miss-hit-miss, etc.

And if you got 49%, every hundred attacks it will be hit-hit-miss.

"
Starxsword wrote:
Also, what does Merciless Weaver have anything to do with Evasion or Armor? It uses Chaos Ethereal Knives. Neither Evasion nor Armor help against Chaos damage.

It's 50% physical - 50% chaos, I think. Very few enemy skills are 100% chaos, those vaal constructs or spitter snakes also do 50% chaos (or some other non-100 percentage).

^weaver is 100% physical no clue why people think it's chaos damage. (the EK portion at least)

Also evasion still allows to be hit-hit-hit-hit since entropy is counted on every mob hitting you.

If your surrounded by a group of mobs and all reach there "hit" entropy you can get 6 hits in a row.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
^weaver is 100% physical no clue why people think it's chaos damage. (the EK portion at least)

Can't say I tested it, but I think devs said it was half chaos when they gave it the ability.

it has to have some amount of chaos init because my summoner with only 8k armor but 45% chaos res can take 6 or 7 hits in a row and walk away pretty ., god i love those potion nodes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info