Armor

Thanks, but no thanks. I have been offered items in the past and have yet to accept them as I believe in taking what the game gives you.

And this is more an exercise in the fallacy of armor ratings. More armor better right? So far, nope. Currently level 50 and have only died in corrupted areas to heavy elemental attacks. (Still don't have any max resist stats, but I'm getting closer.)
"
Moonyu wrote:
Thanks, but no thanks. I have been offered items in the past and have yet to accept them as I believe in taking what the game gives you.

And this is more an exercise in the fallacy of armor ratings. More armor better right? So far, nope. Currently level 50 and have only died in corrupted areas to heavy elemental attacks. (Still don't have any max resist stats, but I'm getting closer.)

I think its been very well known that physical damage is a lot less rippy then elemental damage. Especially when things like block, immortal call and evasion comes into play.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
GGG went "untraditional" from the start, with the way Armour works - but I think it was a mistake from the start.

it isn't protecting you against anything, really, in mid to high maps or even late Merciless, no matter how well you can stack it. the big, stun-inflicting physical hits can completely bypass it.
it should. I mean, isn't that's what it's supposed to be there for?

when even Endurance Charges offer better protection, instead of for example being an additional stun protection/recovery on top of an armour mechanic that means something in terms of actual damage mitigation - it's "Huston we have a problem".
we always had a problem.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Feb 27, 2015, 12:21:04 PM
"
johnKeys wrote:
GGG went "untraditional" from the start, with the way Armour works - but I think it was a mistake from the start.

it isn't protecting you against anything, really, in mid to high maps or even late Merciless, no matter how well you can stack it. the big, stun-inflicting physical hits can completely bypass it.
it should. I mean, isn't that's what it's supposed to be there for?

when even Endurance Charges offer better protection, instead of for example being an additional stun protection/recovery on top of an armour mechanic that means something in terms of actual damage mitigation - it's "Huston we have a problem".
we always had a problem.

tldr: Armor doesn't work when it needs to.
Response: So what's new?

No, seriously. This is something that anyone and everyone who has tried to play a pure armor build can tell you. Armor's mechanics need a complete redesign because of the nature of the game's balance at high levels.
"If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is." ~David Dunning
Armor does work when you have ~20.000 armor points. Then it's pretty good but even then the high level map version of Kole will be able to one shot you. So yeah...
I used to have 50k armour on my duelist and Kole could one hit me.
Glowing green mouse cursor plz.
I actually like the way armour works in theory. People have a lot of misconceptions about it...
1. The first 10k (or 1k, w/e) armour actually does more than a second 10k.
2. Armour actually prevents more flat damage the larger the hit, it never decreases
...and it isn't a bad design at its core.

That said, the numbers are seriously weak. You simply can't get enough to matter too much.

All 3 defences in the game lack teeth. Perhaps this is because they're a little too different. For example, imagine if armour didn't suck. Either EK would be a complete joke, or it would devastate evasion characters more than it already does. Same concept with ES, because without armour an ES character would take huge physical hits, so they'd need more ES to survive physical, at which point elemental would merely tickle them. And so on.

So because defenses so different, all pretty much suck. Except, apparently, ES, aka blue life.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 28, 2015, 12:03:24 AM
This is what I am trying to point out in this exercise. The system of defense solely on one aspect is flawed, but it is worse for armor.

Keep enough evasion and you risk less hits. Got it. Still can be hurt when the hit lands, but that's understood.

Energy Shield protects against elemental and physical, got it. I think that's part of the problem actually, but I got it.

Armor protect against physical only, except like in D1 you could run the end game naked because all the damage was magical and armor didn't protect you.

Proper balance would be to make armor protect much better against physical, Energy Shield protect much better against elemental and evasion protects against getting hit by both, but offers no protection if hit.

Then throw in Chaos. Only CI should protect against Chaos. But Chaos damage should be limited in its use because of it. Or nerfed to make it less of a game breaker. That is stop using mobs for chaos damage.

Spoiler
And buy my book. Currently free to download on Amazon for the Kindle. Its in the sig.
Update: Finally died in game that wasn't a corrupted zone. To The Revenant in the docks. Level 52. Again, heavy elemental attack.

I did have trouble in the Battlefront with the shield charge, but it was survivable.

But this all got me thinking about another aspect that this effects. Item progression. With the way physical damage scales rapidly in this game, the armor does not. There really is not that much different from one class to the next upgrade.

Think of it this way, you finally get high enough to wear Sun Plate, but why bother? As long as your current armor has the mods you need, why would you upgrade. Sad really. I remember starting to play this game and waiting until I could wear better armor. I thought it meant something, but its all about the mods and sockets. The armor itself is just a base.
I would love to see armor also protect against elemental damage from attacks as well as physical. Then, and only then, would I consider it to be a contender.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info