Why is Soul Mantle so bad?

"
pneuma wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:
On an unrelated topic, this is what uniques should be like. It's nice to have to think instead of just BiS shenanigans.
I disagree. It feels like toyems have become balanced around Soul Mantle to stick an extent that the chest is mandatory if you're using totems.

Most totem builds don't use Soul Mantle.
Most totem builds don't use Spell Totem, either.

So... no, that's not it. It's a huge upside with a huge downside. That's a good thing.

not its not.
It is pretty good upside with a devastating downside.
This chest is simply unusable in HC (well you can use it but everybody I know who did it did die pretty fast).

There is a reason why you cant even sell it for 1c...
it is the kind of chest you use to farm content that doesn't matter. in terms of clear speed, it doesn't add much since 2 totems should kill trash mobs before the third is cast (which is why most totem build will not use it... unnecessary)

i can see a use for it if you want to farm dominus and want to down his forms faster , but other than that... it not very useful.

most totem mf builds pride themselves on being the very definition of dirt cheap which kind of implies building a 5/ 6l on the cheap cheap rather than dicking around rolling a 5l -6l of soul mantle ones own

it doesnt help that spell totem as a support is counted among the worst support gems in the game.
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Feb 27, 2015, 7:38:34 AM
"
gilrad wrote:
Out of curiosity, is it feasible to keep permanent curse immunity uptime by simply filling your belt with a bunch of curse-immune utility flasks? IIRC quicksilvers have the best economy of uptime, charge usage, and charge cost.

I always thought it would be cool to make a triple flameblast totem build where all you do is cast the totems and the fourth one would kill the first, setting off the FB spell.

You should be able to do that with just AB, though I'm not sure there's much benefit over just self casting. Storm Call would play similarly, but might actually benefit from a third totem, given enough totem summoning & cast speed. IMO, totem support was over nerfed (perhaps, as Scrotie suggests, because it's balanced around having x3 + full passives now), and then Spell Echo was the final nail in its well furnished coffin.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Upside/downside wise it is ok, I think. However, the fixed level of the spell totem (which is the main focus of your build) is kind of damaging. Losing its quality isn't that painful, but the HP you are missing is pretty terrible.

I'd say it would come back to some more use, if level of the spell totem would somewhat scale with your own. I know, I know, GGG is against such thing, but I can't quite see how otherwise it can be "fixed". If you would be able to get level 20 spell totem at, say, level 85, I think it would see more use as and end game. Its downside can be dealt with, and additional totem is a really good upside. Also, adding some kind of "Totems in this item deal 10-15% more damage"(can't use skills that are already totems in this item, too) would somewhat make it a little more interesting too. Maybe.

But summing it up, I would really see some work around it, since nobody really cares about it atm, and it is far from being a "perfect unique".
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Feb 27, 2015, 8:30:35 AM
"
azraelb wrote:

not its not.
This chest is simply unusable in HC (well you can use it but everybody I know who did it did die pretty fast).

I echo this sentiment

No life
No resist
Piss poor es
Suboptimal spell totem gem, not to mention this gem is now outclassed by selfcast thanks to its nerfs and spell echo

And all the above can be dealt with, until

Curses...probably the worst thing ever on this chest, and I have actually tested this on hc (and rip, thanks curses!).

Thing is on high level maps your totems get one shot easily no matter what and constantly resummon them means you get curses which can STACK every time a totem dies.

You can go "muh warding flasks" but that is very irritating (you WILL know it if you play it long enough and is still very dangerous on HC, just a single second of curses on you is all a mob can need to oneshot you with the extra DMG bonus from the curses, especially with the shit defense this chest gives you. Flasks run out, yeah nice running with dem temp chains/ele weakness/bla bla on you
I rather just go for standard dual totem ancestral bond (which is on my current lvl90hc which I am happy with, 40k shotgun dps) then try this shit in its current form again
Im pretty sure soul mantle's purpouse is just a leveling unique for totem builds, and it works great for that since it lets you grab other passives before having to go all the way to ancestral bond, iw ouldnt treat it as a high level mapping unique because its not
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
One upon a time it was "Why would I ever cast a spell myself when I could have two totems do it for me."

This was obviously not the way they wanted casters to be.

They unfortunately overdid the totem nerf. You can't make a spell totem or ranged totem (lol) build anymore.
It does give a lot more area for searing bonders.... do they want/need it? I don't know :P
As sad as Soul Mantle is, I'm not aware of any time Ranged Attack Totems were good.

Run AA and account for 2 of these bad-boys:

RIP curses. (2 mins/cycle if your mana management works out)
IGN: Victory_Or_Sovngarde
It's not a 13 week development cycle, it's a 13 week supporter-pack cycle.
You can play any build you want, as long as it's the current meta.
Last edited by Ashen_Shugar_IV on Feb 27, 2015, 10:00:22 AM
"
azraelb wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:
Most totem builds don't use Soul Mantle.
Most totem builds don't use Spell Totem, either.

So... no, that's not it. It's a huge upside with a huge downside. That's a good thing.

not its not.

It's not unusable in HC, it's extremely risky in HC and you need to be on top of your warding flasks and you need to get rares with defensive stats in pretty much every other gear slot to make up for the lack of them in the chest. You also need to keep your distance from enemies even more than usual. It's a real risk, not a paper risk like the "horrible downside" of Shav's having less than a mirror-chest amount of ES.

Honestly, if people aren't willing to take the risk, then don't get the reward and chug along "as normal". It's a decision point that isn't an obvious choice unlike tons of other BiS uniques and other math maximization problems.

There is certainly at least one HC-viable tri-totem build. If people are selling it for 1c, that's all the better. It's only a <L50 chest anyway, it's not meant to be "balanced by rarity".

There are other, larger balance forces at work that makes tri-totem (or toteming at all) less than desirable. Spell Totem (support) is pretty shit right now, and RAT has always been shit. The promise is that totems give you extremely safe damage because they act at a distance from you and allow for maximal kiting (and around corners).

Spell Echo similarly shifted the hard-caster dps up so high that it's nearly impossible to even compete on totems, even if you play unsafely, even if you use Soul Mantle. And as long as large quantities of spell/elemental leech exists, there's not even that much of a defensive argument for totems since leeching does so much more.

At any rate, it's certainly a more interesting, thought-requiring unique body armor than the vast majority of them. That's closer to a "perfect unique" in my book.
its an amazing unique it allows 2 totems without the ancestral bond restriction
saw a build few month ago stormcall totem +selfcast coldsnap high crit version

i used to dislike the unique till i saw the build

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1151549/page/1

https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
Last edited by ventiman on Feb 27, 2015, 2:04:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info