Zealot's Oath/Energy Shield Question

Would like to preface by saying, I searched for a good 20 minutes before deciding to post but I couldn't find anything relevant...

I'm building a witch and planning on going ES utilizing the Zealot's Oath passive. I noticed that when I take ZO, my ES no longer acts as a shield on TOP of my life, it on mitigates some of the damage and I take some damage life damage before my ES is completely depleted. Is this working as intended?

To further clarify:

Without ZO: ES must be zero before life starts going down.
With ZO: Life starts going down before ES is zero.

EDIT: Before anyone asks - NO, it was NOT Chaos Damage I was taking.
Last edited by BlitzkriegDC on Feb 26, 2015, 2:50:32 PM
Were you using a Caustic Mana Flask? Because that's the only other thing I can think of that takes directly from life.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
So I'm not going to ask whether you were taking Chaos Damage.
Instead I'm going to ask, what monsters were you fighting?
"
Vipermagi wrote:

Lmao... This.

OP, zealots oath can not do what you are describing. All damage will go to your energy shield first, then life, EXCEPT for chaos damage. Chaos damage skips your energy shield and directly damages your life, unless wearing 1 of the 2 specific uniques that prevent this. This is true with or without zealots oath.
"
Vipermagi wrote:

Shaggy Monstrosity The Caverns Level 1 Chaos Damage Aura

Would have been good to look that up before posting. Wasn't aware that particular variation of "Beast" had a Chaos Damage Aura. That was my derp moment for today. Thanks for posting anyway.
"
BlitzkriegDC wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:

Shaggy Monstrosity The Caverns Level 1 Chaos Damage Aura

Would have been good to look that up before posting. Wasn't aware that particular variation of "Beast" had a Chaos Damage Aura. That was my derp moment for today. Thanks for posting anyway.
I could swear it used to say they did chaos damage but they took it away. Never understood why they did that.
Cause they now apply a debuff on you, that only older players can recognize immediately. A debuff that got nerfed quite heavily because of the retarded damage it used to do.

Newer players are like "Oh a debuff. Wonder what that is. Well, too busy fighting m*****f-ing bears right now."
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1394759 - Suggestion for beginner tutorial.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info