Crit ice spear witch... any advice appreciated

i have been trying for the past few weeks to increase the dps of ice spear to make it atziri viable.... but i have few problems with mana regen, life, cast speed and survivability against bosses... i am at lvl 86 now..
.. i have also noticed that the monsters don't freeze for long duration .. they are frozen for ~0.5 seconds at the most
I can do 76-77 maps with ease. i can clear any type of mobs with any mods except ele reflect . But i have problems killing the bosses without dying.. .even lvl 71 map bosses like merveil, brutus ,dominus etc

1.the ice spear dps is around 14 k dps(gmp -no quality) and around 20000(lmp- 20% quality.) with all the power charges up(6).. i still need to take two power charges ..
2. i am also thinking of removing the buff nodes along with mana regen node near scion and removing the adjacent 2-4 nodes and allotting it to the cold nodes on the witch side .. but do not know if the dps will increase or not... as i am using herald of ice and thunder...
i would also like advice as to where i should allot the next remaining nodes....... example..cast speed or cold dmg nodes or life or any other..i would also like to know if pierce nodes would be helpful with dps ...in a nut shell i am looking for an improvement in dps and survivability against bosses...

My Gear

Spoiler

current passive tree at lvl 86

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAv4EBwSzBUIHHgj0DH0OSBBYEH8RlhZvFr8aOB0UHwIfxyaVJy8o-ilPK3gsnC2LL282xUGWQsNEq0WdSVFMs1AwU1JVS1WuVcZXlF3yXyph4maeakNrF20ZcFJwu3DVcYV-WX_GghCCHoKbgseD24nTjDaOZI9Gj6aP-pBVlSCVLprgogCio6cIrrOvm7FCtvq4k7mTvOrAGsBUwGbB88MJxp7Q9dWm2CTZE9sL217fhN-K37Dhc-Nq6-Tr7uv17BjsOO0g8NXyHfMR96b56PrS
Last edited by yurei021 on Feb 26, 2015, 8:52:37 AM
By looking at your gear you barely have any life on it.

You do need ALOT of life = survivability later on to just not get "1 shot" by stronger bosses later on if you are taking a hit or two cuz a dead caster does not cast at all. :P

You main focus on your gear should be life and res, after that you can look for more damage / crit & higher values imo.

Also I would switch your facebreakers for

Also mind linking your passive tree? :)
Trying to satisfy the whole PoE community is like telling a nymphomaniac to only have sex once in a week.

I think that's fairly accurate. :')
Last edited by Zahkriisos1337 on Feb 26, 2015, 8:11:59 AM
sorry iam new to posting...i have updated the post.
regarding passives:
Your skilltree isn't bad but you could do some optimization. First of all, i would switch the Influence cluster for the Sovereignity aura cluster for an additional 2% aura effect and reduced mana reservation. Or you could take both clusters and drop Inner Force instead. This would make your Arctic Armour and Heralds a bit weaker but greatly improve your mana management. Alternatively, you could also dorp the entire center part and go over the northern highway, which would free up a bunch of points for extra damage and the other power charges. this is an alternative version that would contain all of these changes but requires a bunch of respec points but maybe it can give you a few idea on what you could change. Another thing to consider is that Ice Spear would already reach the 95% critchance cap with a lvl 18/20q Increased Critical Strikes support gem and 0 power charges in its second form.

regarding items:
I second switching the facebreakers for Maligaro's and you might want to get a second ring with mana regen on it. The most important part, however, is that you usually want to link the respective elemental penetration gem to your main elemental skill or in other words: if you use mostly cold damage, Cold Penetration should usually be the very first and most important link!
And get a Sapphire Flask to deal with reflect!
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
Last edited by vargorn on Feb 26, 2015, 9:12:41 AM
thx....can you also lok at my wands???/ do i need to do something with them?
thx....can you also lok at my wands???/ do i need to do something with them?
Your wands are good, no need to change anything there.
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
Against bosses you could try to swap your curse to temporal chains(goes well with cold damage), swap your another wand to either es-dps-shield or Saffel's for the +4 resists, sometimes lower deps is better..
d:-D*
thx..ill try the es shield

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info