Build clinic and theorycraft dump thread

So this is a general thread for any passive tree musings I might have. I don't play the actual game too much anymore, but I still enjoy the theorycraftmanship.

If you'd like me to make passive tree suggestions for a build you're running or planning to run, I probably wouldn't mind commenting. Feel free to post your general plan and I'll probably help.

My theorycraft for today involves Spark. Specifically, the question "what if Spark always pierced?" This is possible thanks to the Piercing Shots notable passive.

This changes damage scaling for Spark in interesting ways. Since it ricochetricochets off walls, sparks last until their duration expires. Thus, Spark becomes a little less like a standard projectile spell and a lot more like a damage-over-time skill like Firestorm. This increases the value of "time slowers" such as chill, freeze, and general tankitankiness.

It also opens up new methods of scaling this damage-over-time component. "Faster Projectiles" and "Increased Duration" mods now allow more hits over time. In particular, Faster Projectiles is available in spades on wands, making it a very appealing weapon choice... So much so that the idea here is to dual-wield to get not only super-fast Sparks but also to take advantage of the Dark Arts notable. With nearly 100% projectile speed anticipated between gear and tree, the Gayer Projectiles support gem is unnecessary. (This theory applies to Freezing Pulse as well.)

Increased duration doesn't fare as well for gear or passive optimization. Although there are powerful nodes on the tree, wands will lock is into Lightning Warp for movement, so going that route isn't optimal. However, since it isn't on gear or tree, it makes for an excellent support gem.

Next question: life or ES? Since the Piercing Shots cluster is so close to Acrobatics and dual-wield block chance is naturally low, I feel life - and Acrobatics - is the clear answer here.

As for the rest, perhaps best to stick to what we know - Path of Crit. And life nodes.

Lastly, 100% pierce chance combined with Lightning Warp opens up an excellent interaction with Frost Wall, creating a barrier which effects opponents but has no effect on you whatsoever.

So for gems we'd be looking at...
Spark + Piece + Echo + Increased Duration + LLeech + Lightning Penetration
Herald of Thunder + CoH + Assassin's Mark + Conductivity
CWDT + Enduring Cry + Desecrate + (overleveled) Devouring Totem
CWDT + Immortal Call + Frost Wall + Duration
Clarity + Purity of Lightning + Reduced Mana
Lightning Warp + Reduced Duration + Faster Casting

Passive skill tree. Probably doesn't have enough mana regen, so might need to spend a few additional nodes on it.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
I think this has been done? uses Volt + Drillneck as well. I'm sure someone somewhere has a video of it.
If you're Dual Wielding, You'd really need a defensive gimmick aside from Acro. EB - MOM seems close enough, though you're better off stacking even more mana on gear if that happens since the converted ES will be cut by Acro.
I like Spark, but it doesn't really work well in open areas.
Frost Wall might also be a good idea to limit where the Projectiles go... if only they didn't pierce.

Also, Theorycrafting will only send you slowly spiralling back into the game. :P
Better stay in the land of the damned, Exile. Here, even the very words are corrupted by Nightmare.

nothing new

shockingly effective, esp with Herald of Ice

im not sure (cant check without combat log..) but knockback from proj weakness allows for some EXTREME levels of single target, point blank damage. i had map bosses VAPOR instantly while using that curse. but maybe that was just the shock+high-end crit..

anyway, nothing new, been there done that. btw - with this setup defences are completely redundant. what you need is that button on topaz flask to counter extreme reflect. i did 77 maps with 3300 hp and no acro/phase acro. currently damage output > all
Don't try it without crit, i employ you to save your time.

I did it to lvl 83, with RF and the increased duration nodes ETC, it was an aw-full result.

I also strongly recommend using vaal storm call instead of vaal spark, you can spam it so much more that the overall dps increase is a lot better.

Combined with HoI and crit it also freezes your entire screen, so thats a fun defensive gimick.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I still feel dw wands are better than staff or bow for Spark. The one interesting element to consider is projectile weakness which might be very good.

Is HoI enough on its own for freeze? Is Elemental Weakness required? I would like to avoid Added Cold asa support, and might be dual-cursing Assassin's+ProjWeak; it might be difficult to get freeze duration to minimum thresholds.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 26, 2015, 7:00:19 PM
Oh right, right, because of Faster Proj. Drillneck + Volt does give you a lot of damage and makes you reflect free though. :P

It's enough on its own to freeze, but it wouldn't last very long, I reckon. You can also use 3 Dragons to freeze, saving you a gem slot and a herald slot.

I suggest Storm Call for Single target :D
Better stay in the land of the damned, Exile. Here, even the very words are corrupted by Nightmare.
With a 4-link lightning thendrils crit variant i was freezing everything that came in touch with it except for bosses.

and my vaal storm call CC'd the entire screen (it had like 100% IaoE if not more)

My build was actually perma vaal storm call and tendrils to build up or kill some stuff in between not worth a lightning storm.

I don't know if spark will be able to do it do, since it has 50%DE. And no aoe tag so cant use conc multiplier like with tendrils :/.

Also don't forget, spark wrecks your mana pool at good cast speed rates :).

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info