Can you make desync not fatal to melee player?

Going melee means going toe to toe with mobs. Especially in maps with monster's IAS, +movement, desync is so bad (even without me using any movement skill, just the normal run) when the game resync my melee chars is usually dragged right INTO mobs. Desync is my #1 killer.

Can you change your code to differentiate between the monsters' and character's placement after a resync--i.e. monsters are placed according to their places according to the server, and characters according to the client?

This way, when players run from a mob to kite, their characters won't be dragged right into mobs they're trying to run from.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
+1 to that

I'm too usually getting stuck with my melee chars halfway between level 70 and 80.
They just die no matter how good their gear and what passives they have. I have a marauder currently lvl 69 with over 16 K DPS Infernal blow. I go to the Sceptre of God or the Catacombs to level up before merciless Dominus. Then it desyncs, I get ganked by the mobs. Sometimes I manage to quit before I die, but the next time I lose the XP anyway because they kill me faster.
Strongboxes are a b*tch. Sometimes I don't even take a chance opening them. Especially in merciless and the affixes like: frozes you on opening, explodes, guarded by a rogue exile.
What I'm wondering about is that before cruel or merciless I never die, not even to really bad desync. sometimes I manage to not die even on cruel to desync. But in merciless even if the desync is not that bad I die. 90% with a melee, but I've died with an arc build and glacial cascade build too. Seems like if desync hits really bad even ranged chars aren't that safe.

Unfortunately I think it couldn't be changed like that or they would've done it already.

The problem is that cheaters (maphackers and the likes) would've an easier job that way and we don't want that to happen.

Another way would be a server side "inspector" program routine. Whenever a desync occurs it would send a signal to the client side that would tell it to stop. It wouldn't disconnect just froze until the desync problem is solved. Problem is that it would probably make the game unplayable. Could be even worse than desync.

I just hope that they come up with some good way to decrease or entirely get rid of desync some day.

"
astralgazer wrote:
Going melee means going toe to toe with mobs. Especially in maps with monster's IAS, +movement, desync is so bad (even without me using any movement skill, just the normal run) when the game resync my melee chars is usually dragged right INTO mobs. Desync is my #1 killer.

Can you change your code to differentiate between the monsters' and character's placement after a resync--i.e. monsters are placed according to their places according to the server, and characters according to the client?

This way, when players run from a mob to kite, their characters won't be dragged right into mobs they're trying to run from.

This has problems.

Several in fact.
Not least of which: player position is more significant than Monster position when it comes to server trust, so if anything, GGG is unlikely to EVER allow the servers to trust what the client says about the player position.

What GGG DOES need to do however is make better level designs, so we don't have these corridors that can be blocked or not by one mob standing 1 pixel to the left. If you're going to insist on having monster collision like this, you have GOT to not be so ignorant when designing your set pieces.
Desync in ideal scenarios is not as severe as some people would make it out to be. But you seem to be dead set on designing the most desync-prone things possible.

(sidenote: if you're going to have mobs with movement abilities (Specifically charge and leapslam), you wanna cut the damage on those abilities by, I dunno, 5000%? It's bad enough to have to worry about whether or not you actually got hit by the ability depending on whether the server assumed you were going to move correctly or not, we don't need to be auto-stunned by the stupid amount of damage these abilities do if it gets it wrong. -.-)

Spoiler
Or you know - you could force the server to auto-OOS whenever a player receives a stun. That'd help a lot, I'm sure.
"If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is." ~David Dunning
Last edited by TikoXi on Feb 23, 2015, 1:28:22 PM
I usually don't exaggerate. Not about important things anyway. Like desync for example.

Mine is so bad sometimes, and take it as a fact, that when I desync, sometimes I am killed by mobs I already killed seconds before (or so it seemed on my side). Other times I can't even kill the mob no matter how many DPS I have, because I fail to hit the mob due to desync.

I don't know the programming side of the problem and my "solution" is obviously the worst. I'm just trying to spitball ideas here. So if you have any please share.
No. Also, use ahk for /oos and L2P. Git gud or git rekt. Desync spikes up the difficulty just like torments in D3.
"
TikoXi wrote:

Not least of which: player position is more significant than Monster position when it comes to server trust, so if anything, GGG is unlikely to EVER allow the servers to trust what the client says about the player position.

I know that GGG's position is that they will NEVER trust the client, in the name of preventing cheat, but the game code should recognize the fact that any human, no matter how idiot, will NOT stand idle in the middle of larga packs for more than 1 second. This is what happens in any desync scenario currenly employed: server receives no information about player's movement and attack, and it just assumes that the player is so idiot he goes afk while twenty monsters gang up on him.

"
TikoXi wrote:

What GGG DOES need to do however is make better level designs, so we don't have these corridors that can be blocked or not by one mob standing 1 pixel to the left. If you're going to insist on having monster collision like this, you have GOT to not be so ignorant when designing your set pieces.

(sidenote: if you're going to have mobs with movement abilities (Specifically charge and leapslam), you wanna cut the damage on those abilities by, I dunno, 5000%? It's bad enough to have to worry about whether or not you actually got hit by the ability depending on whether the server assumed you were going to move correctly or not, we don't need to be auto-stunned by the stupid amount of damage these abilities do if it gets it wrong. -.-)

This. Maybe they can also fix their map generation procedure, not to have deadly desync prone combo with dishargers, cobras and lightning warping monsters appearing all at once. One movement mob is enough to force desync, three is dead certain death to the player.
Last edited by astralgazer on Feb 23, 2015, 4:33:53 PM
Strongboxes of Desync.
"
No. Also, use ahk for /oos and L2P. Git gud or git rekt. Desync spikes up the difficulty just like torments in D3.

Can you for once [Removed by Support] actually give constructive feedback? Desync is not something that 3rd party programs should help us get around it but a big issue tormenting PoE since CB. If you thing that spamming /oos is a solution to desync you should (as you put it so wonderfully) L2P.

P.S. : Using stupid expressions isnt helping your sad case either. Some people must understand that they ruin the forums with their pathetic attempts to make funny/witty comments. Back under their bridge i say.

On topic :

I can certainly feel your frustration about desync mate, but desync is certainly not a melee only problem (though i have to agree that melee chars are punished more often due to desync). Until GGG actually does something about this issue (there are countless suggestions about it, and here in the thread are some good too) there is not a lot you cant do, except playing SC leagues where deaths dont stall your progress, use as many layers of defence as possible (hp the most significant), play carefully and have a good internet connection.

Desync is such a huge problem and its been here since day one and many people (including me) are just used to it and learn to work around it in many different ways like its a feature of the game which is at least tragic (and dont want to use harsher words). For example my latest BL character has 7.5k hp (along with AR/EV/Dodge) beacause i ripped twice due to desync.

Your suggestions are really good and a fine solution too,but i doubt something will be done before 1.4 goes live.
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
Last edited by MikeP_GGG on Feb 28, 2015, 7:37:11 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info