Newbie overwhelmed with the complexity of PoE

Hmm, for more spell block you can keep using Lazwhar but you could also switch it for a nice crit amulet if you get Rathpith shield, depends on what you need more.

Moonsorrow is a decent enough wand for lightning builds in general, damage is good and it has some cast speed, however you will eventually want to switch it out for a good crit wand. That 10% blind chance works only for attacks made using the wand.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Feb 25, 2015, 8:58:44 AM
If you wanna go big, save up for a Pledge of Hands, and grab a legacy Cloak of Defiance.

Pledge of Hands last time I check goes for about 6-9 exalted with no links. You could get one and start working on getting it 5 or 6 linked.

Legacy Cloak of Defiance is still cheap, around 1 exalted or less. This will add some heavy defenses, and works amazingly with the 100% increased mana on Pledge of Hands. You'll have a shit ton of mana, and 40% of the damage you take will come out of mana before life. Also the huge mana pool means you can run yet another strategic defense, Arctic Armor, which makes you invulnerable to small/rapid physical and fire damage attacks. For instance, those breasted things that machine gun projectiles found in Lunaris 3, will not be able to inflict any damage to you.

Be sure to get Eldrich Battery keystone (top right of passive tree). This will get the mana rocking.

So for about 10 exalted you can secure the unlinked versions of end-game gear. Then work on the links, and you'll be a boss when you get them 5 or 6L.

You will need Vaal Pact passive or you're going to have issues with reflect. If you don't get this by lvl 80 ish you may run into real problems with progression.

My 2 cents, GL.
Last edited by beefnuggy on Feb 26, 2015, 4:34:52 AM
That sounds like a fund little project. What do you think it would cost to get that Staff 6L? It'll have to wayt anyways since my budget is about 2,5ex at the moment. Sounds fun though.

So everyone is telling me to get Eldritch Battery and Vaal Pact. But isn't the first a really big loss in defese? And how do I get the latter to work? With 6L Arc and Life Leech?
"
BundesHeinz wrote:
That sounds like a fund little project. What do you think it would cost to get that Staff 6L? It'll have to wayt anyways since my budget is about 2,5ex at the moment. Sounds fun though.

So everyone is telling me to get Eldritch Battery and Vaal Pact. But isn't the first a really big loss in defese? And how do I get the latter to work? With 6L Arc and Life Leech?

With a budget of 2.5exa, I would recommend you grab the legacy cloak of defiance and start working towards 6 sockets, then 5 links. With a little luck, you'll have just enough (2.5exa) to do this.

The cost of 6 linking can be seemingly infinite. I've seen people quit before getting it. If you can nix the urge to gamble and save up 1500 fusings, you can buy the links from an NPC (Master Vorici lvl 8). This requires you have a lvl 8 master, or you have a friend that can help (I have a guild member help me since he has all level 8 masters and I trust him 150% with my gear and currency). BEWARE OF SCAMMERS if you seek assistance.

The Pledge of Hands is more expensive, and is 100% an end-game weapon. You're probably not going to swap this out for anything else later game, it's that good.

Regarding defenses: Converting ES to mana is pretty much no loss. Since your leech applies to live, not ES, the ES will not be there when you need it anyway. It has no way to recover. Turning it into mana is way better and allows for some added defenses as I stated in my previous reply.

Vaal Pact gives you instant leech, which is very strong/tanky. Losing the life regen is not a problem at all. In this game, situations play out very fast, and the idea of running away and regenning is not feasable. With VP you could have lost 90% of your life, hit one pack, bam full life. This is an amazingly good setup for end game content, and is really the only way to negate reflect (aside from some insanely expensive Acuity gloves).
Last edited by beefnuggy on Feb 26, 2015, 1:57:04 PM
This really sounds like something that is fun to do and is also pretty rewarding. But wouldn't the socketing/fusing alone cost me around 30 Exalted? Do you really think, this is something I should start doing, considering that i basically got nothing?^^

Also, I've got a couple of questions and figured you guys would surely be a great help:

Firstly, i finally managed to get the Cast when damage taken/Immortal Call/Enduring Cry combro running. Now I leveled them, so that cast when damage taken (lvl 7) can support lvl 43 and lower. Immortal Call (lvl 8) and Enduring Cry (lvl 9) both require lvl 43 to use.
But ever since I gave them their last level-up, they don't seem to trigger anymore. Did I mess something up? Is it because the 980 dmg that it takes to trigger cast when damage taken just occure to rarely? Can I solve this somehow?

And secondly I wondered if I should try to get my hands on a surgeon's diamond flask or if they're not really worth using.

Thanks in advance guys!!
Last edited by BundesHeinz on Mar 5, 2015, 11:38:18 AM
"
BundesHeinz wrote:

Firstly, i finally managed to get the Cast when damage taken/Immortal Call/Enduring Cry combro running. Now I leveled them, so that cast when damage taken (lvl 7) can support lvl 43 and lower. Immortal Call (lvl 8) and Enduring Cry (lvl 9) both require lvl 43 to use.

if you watch out that the gem level of immortal call, enduring cry and increased duration (recommended in the usual 4 link setup) always stays lower or equal to the one of cwdt, you should be fine.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
BundesHeinz wrote:
But ever since I gave them their last level-up, they don't seem to trigger anymore. Did I mess something up? Is it because the 980 dmg that it takes to trigger cast when damage taken just occure to rarely? Can I solve this somehow?

And secondly I wondered if I should try to get my hands on a surgeon's diamond flask or if they're not really worth using.

You probably clicked one more time on levelup button instead of dismissing the gem, it happens, you can link the item with your CwDT setup here to check. Increased duration or other support gems can be levelled freely.

Players often avoid putting IC and EC on same CwDT gem because EC has a cooldown and triggers less often so they use one of them manually.

Diamond flasks are kinda nice but belt slots are usually too crowded to give them a spot. Double crit roll also works best if your crit chance is low, which kinda goes against the point of a crit build.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Alright, i put another level into Cwdt and it works again. I could have sworn it said 43 or lower.

So, how much currency do I have to spend to get something 6L and what is the best way to do it? Is Vorici better than spending hundreds of Fusing? And is this really something someone like me should do? I've got 2 exalteds and about 80 chaos now. Am I too far away from a 6L to actually do it? What is the best way to get currency? Is it actually farming Maps and hoping for good drops or does it come from vendored rares and good trades?

Oh yes.. and what stats should I look out for on an amulet? I'm wearing crit damage and resistances now. But its really not that good and I wonder what I should get myself and if it pays off to invest a couple of chaos in an mediocre amulet or if I shopuld wait for something really good.

Thanks alot again. I Really start to get a hold of this game... at least i think so^^
Last edited by BundesHeinz on Mar 5, 2015, 11:55:00 AM
>So, how much currency do I have to spend to get something 6L
From 1 fusing to infinity of any orbs.
>and what is the best way to do it?
Trade, of course.
>Is Vorici better than spending hundreds of Fusing?
He is worse in the long run. If you just need ONE item 6led, he could be better. If you aren't feeling lucky :)
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
BundesHeinz wrote:
Hey everyone!

I just started PoE about two weeks ago and I'm starting to get lost. After reading some guides i decided to make an Arc Witch and leveled her to lvl67. I managed to get to Act 3 merciless and so far i'm doing okay I guess.

I've played D2 for years and d3 for as long as I could stand what blizzard has done to the franchise (a couple of months at best). So I'm not completely new to this genre. Yet PoE is extremely complex and, as I feel i should start to make some real progress, I begin to get confused.
I found my first exalted today and coupled with the few chaos, fusing, scouring, regret and so on I get the feeling that I could get into the trade of trading. But how do I start?
I really would like to get my Witch to a point where I can use her to farm the late game content, yet I can't really seem to figure out what to look out for.
I don't really get how to determine the worth of an item and I also dont completely get, what my own char needs to survive the later on.

If anyone of you veterans could give me some advice how to get into this game, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks alot!

Hit me up with any questions you have: IGN: Harrissi
I love hearing myself talk.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info