Lag / Desync / Disconnection issue

I haven't been playing long, but for as long as I have I've been getting some pretty constant connection issues. When I first started it was insanely high latency that was the problem, 160-250 average, never saw it dip below that. I posted a pic of my WinMTR and someone said the problem was in my modem, so I took the modem back to Comcast and got a replacement. Now my latency is 60-70 with the occasional spike, but in spite of what it says I'm still getting some problems.

For example on my Flicker Strike build I'll be jumping around just fine and suddenly my guy will stop hitting anything for 20+ casts in a row. My latency doesn't seem to go anywhere during that time, it's just 5-10 seconds of seemingly disconnected status where nothing can be hit, usually my health will continue to drop during this time and it gets me killed every 15 minutes, getting infuriating and I know I won't be able to do any leveling once I reach merciless because my exp will go down faster than up. On top of that I'll get random disconnects, where I'm running along fine and suddenly nothing is responsive. Can't cast anything or change maps, I can only run around doing nothing. When this happens I look at my latency and it's just a flatline (still says 60~, just flat instead of heart-monitor-esque)

I've recorded a bit of it on Twitch for someone to review if they would/could. During the broadcast my latency was roughly 10-15 higher than when I'm not broadcasting, and had a few more spikes, but it performed relatively the same. I logged in, zoned into the Crypt and immediately started the broadcast. Played for about 3 minutes before the problem started to get really obvious and I logged off.

http://www.twitch.tv/stickypocket/b/628649973

About 3:45 is where the issue really shows but you can watch the whole thing if it'll help. When you see the chat log open for a split second every few seconds that's my /oos macro that I've come to click a few times on every pull, seems to be the only way I can play for more than 30 minutes at a time or my game will cripple itself until I disconnect.

I've also gotten a copy of WinMTR after that broadcast, I launched the program then started up PoE and played for a while, logged off and stopped WinMTR.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 10.0.0.1 - 0 | 585 | 585 | 2 | 8 | 1156 | 2 |
| No response from host - 100 | 117 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
|te-0-0-0-8-sur02.everett.wa.seattle.comcast.net - 0 | 585 | 585 | 10 | 21 | 1178 | 18 |
|be-29-ar01.burien.wa.seattle.comcast.net - 0 | 585 | 585 | 13 | 24 | 1176 | 17 |
|he-0-15-0-1-ar01.seattle.wa.seattle.comcast.net - 0 | 585 | 585 | 12 | 22 | 1181 | 19 |
|he-1-3-0-0-10-cr01.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net - 0 | 585 | 585 | 14 | 24 | 1177 | 17 |
|he-0-6-0-0-cr01.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net - 0 | 585 | 585 | 12 | 23 | 1181 | 19 |
|as36351-1-c.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net - 0 | 585 | 585 | 12 | 23 | 1180 | 17 |
| ae0.bbr01.cs01.den01.networklayer.com - 0 | 585 | 585 | 39 | 50 | 1204 | 43 |
| ae12.bbr02.eq01.dal03.networklayer.com - 0 | 585 | 585 | 61 | 73 | 1230 | 67 |
| ae1.dar01.sr01.dal01.networklayer.com - 0 | 585 | 585 | 62 | 73 | 1227 | 65 |
| po1.fcr05.sr06.dal01.networklayer.com - 0 | 585 | 585 | 61 | 75 | 1235 | 65 |
| patch101.pathofexile.com - 0 | 585 | 585 | 62 | 73 | 1226 | 63 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

I don't really know how to read the thing, but that "no response from host" line seems like a problem, and I don't remember seeing it when I ran it with my previous modem, as well as some crazy high numbers that were only 200~ last time. As you can see I use Comcast and I know they're a problem, so I'm sure my whole issue could probably stem from that. But if anyone knows anything I can do short of replacing my modem again (or changing ISPs) it would be a great help.
Last edited by StickyPocket on Feb 23, 2015, 5:43:30 AM
The good news is that it looks like there are no packets being dropped. The bad news is that you still have some high latency spikes starting at the first hop (your modem).

The other bad news is that what you are describing with the flicker strike seems more like desync than latency problems.

If you aren't sure what desync is, it is a disparity between what you (as the client) see rendered in relation to what the server thinks you're doing.

The server is in charge and runs its own local simulation to determine what the client should do. The client is running its own simulation to attempt to make a smooth gameplay experience... but ultimately, the server's opinion is what matters. This leads to desync as the server can think you're in a different place than the client does. On the client, you appear near a mob. On the server, you could be on the other end of the room.

I'd start by reading the Developer Manifesto on Client/Server Synchronization and get a good base understanding of what desync is, why it exists, and why it will likely always exist to some degree. Once you've done that, you'll likely need to alter your playstyle or character slightly to make desync less of an issue.

The main "causes" for desync are not understanding the mechanic, and what the server is actually doing FOR you in some situations that can lead to a worse problem. For example.. when you DON'T use the 'Shift' key or 'hold to attack' or whatever it's called, this can cause your character to move to the target in some situations. The server does this movement for you in an attempt to get your character to connect with the attack. So to counter this "auto movement" which is a huge cause of desync, you should never attack anything without holding down the Shift key (or whatever you've mapped it to). This will prevent the character from auto moving.

Another huge cause of desync is melee abilities that cause movement themselves... like multi-strike, cyclone/whirlwind, flicker strike, etc. These cause your character to move, and as was previously explained, this movement calculation is a major cause of desync as the server and client don't always agree on what that movement should look like. Using the Shift key while using these abilities lessens the affect of the desync however. It might not always prevent it though.

There is no way to be desync-free. Even as a ranged character, I occasionally will experience desync. The key is to understand what it looks like and get yourself out of danger until you can resynchronize properly.

Another thing which is a common cause of desync is getting your character "stuck" on something in the environment as you move around. This can be things like rocks, walls, doorways, bridges, or it can even be creatures. NEVER attempt to run through a pack of creatures. This is a sure-fire way to get yourself stuck and to get yourself into a desynchronized state.

Think of your character as a wooden block... like the old wood alphabet blocks people have as children. The reason I use these blocks is because it's a very good representation of your character on the server. In game programming, objects in a game world are generally described either by bounding blocks, or bounding spheres. Based on experience, I'm assuming that GGG uses bounding blocks. That means that around your character is an invisible block. They use these "bounding blocks" to detect object collision and other things. So while you see your character running around as your character, the server just sees you (and all other objects) as just different sized blocks.

With that understanding of the bound blocks, imagine now that there is a pack of creature blocks ahead of you. As you attempt to run through them, there is a HIGH probability that your block will become pressed up against another block in a way that will cause your block to not pass by it. You also cannot push the other block out of the way. That means that you're now stuck against that other block unless you back up and change angles. The problem with this however is that while you were pressing up against that other block, a few more blocks have now moved in around you surrounding you and pressing up against you from all sides. You now cannot back up either. You might see on the client-side that you passed safely by and are now in a different safer room. Your block on the server however is quite stuck and taking damage (which is where the phantom damage comes from). You will likely die now unless you have a teleport, leap, or other ability which can warp you through the blockade and into safety.

With this new knowledge, you can hopefully play in a manner which limits desync liability. If you have any specific questions, try to ask them and they can hopefully get answered. As I recommended however, you should check the developer manifesto first to get a base understanding of it all, and then make decisions based on playstyle and character choice which limit desync.

Good luck.
Read the whole thing, was a bit surprised to find it did nothing but confirm every assumption I already had lol

I'm gonna have to call Comcast and have them come out to my house, I have a feeling the problem is in the aux jack that the modem's plugged into (cable guy was having issues with it before the service was even set up) on top of getting yet another modem because I know that the modem caused at least some difference (this one shows lower latency while I'm playing but it's way more unstable connection-wise, yay Comcast)

Thanks for the help, the manifesto was an interesting read. One more question, though, is how does the /oos macro work exactly? If I were to tap it every other second while playing would it actually fix the desync every time, like is it foolproof or does it just help a little bit? It helps me stay connected longer but I do still notice desync even when I'm pressing it 5-6 times on every pull.
There's a timer on using /oos.

I believe it is 10 seconds, but you shouldn't use it nearly that often. If you are, then you're doing something wrong.

I usually use it less than 2 or 3 times an hour.

Make sure you're using the shift key when attacking.
Hi i use WinMTR can u pls help i will post what it shows me when i use Start
http://url[/url]
<html><head><title>WinMTR Statistics</title></head><body bgcolor="white">

<center><h2>WinMTR statistics</h2></center>

<p align="center"> <table border="1" align="center">

<tr><td>Host</td> <td>%</td> <td>Sent</td> <td>Recv</td> <td>Best</td> <td>Avrg</td> <td>Wrst</td> <td>Last</td></tr>

<tr><td>172.16.1.1</td> <td> 0</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 0</td> <td> 1</td> <td> 8</td> <td> 1</td></tr>

<tr><td>212.25.58.215</td> <td> 0</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 1</td> <td> 1</td> <td> 5</td> <td> 2</td></tr>

<tr><td>Ruse2-10ge.networx.bg</td> <td> 0</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 1</td> <td> 3</td> <td> 18</td> <td> 1</td></tr>

<tr><td>212.25.58.4</td> <td> 0</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 1</td> <td> 1</td> <td> 6</td> <td> 1</td></tr>

<tr><td>193.218.0.180.netix.net</td> <td> 1</td> <td> 231</td> <td> 229</td> <td> 36</td> <td> 49</td> <td> 306</td> <td> 39</td></tr>

<tr><td>bbr01.xn01.fra01.networklayer.com</td> <td> 0</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 44</td> <td> 45</td> <td> 76</td> <td> 45</td></tr>

<tr><td>ae7.bbr02.xn01.fra01.networklayer.com</td> <td> 0</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 47</td> <td> 48</td> <td> 119</td> <td> 51</td></tr>

<tr><td>ae1.bbr01.eq01.ams02.networklayer.com</td> <td> 0</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 46</td> <td> 48</td> <td> 134</td> <td> 47</td></tr>

<tr><td>ae1.bbr02.eq01.wdc02.networklayer.com</td> <td> 1</td> <td> 232</td> <td> 230</td> <td> 123</td> <td> 125</td> <td> 180</td> <td> 125</td></tr>

<tr><td>ae7.bbr01.eq01.wdc02.networklayer.com</td> <td> 0</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 126</td> <td> 127</td> <td> 136</td> <td> 131</td></tr>

<tr><td>ae0.bbr01.tl01.atl01.networklayer.com</td> <td> 0</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 139</td> <td> 140</td> <td> 197</td> <td> 140</td></tr>

<tr><td>ae13.bbr02.eq01.dal03.networklayer.com</td> <td> 0</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 158</td> <td> 160</td> <td> 206</td> <td> 160</td></tr>

<tr><td>ae1.dar01.sr01.dal01.networklayer.com</td> <td> 1</td> <td> 231</td> <td> 229</td> <td> 157</td> <td> 158</td> <td> 189</td> <td> 158</td></tr>

<tr><td>po1.fcr05.sr06.dal01.networklayer.com</td> <td> 0</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 239</td> <td> 159</td> <td> 161</td> <td> 274</td> <td> 160</td></tr>

<tr><td>173.192.44.20-static.reverse.softlayer.com</td> <td> 1</td> <td> 235</td> <td> 234</td> <td> 158</td> <td> 160</td> <td> 209</td> <td> 160</td></tr>

</table></body></html>
please create your own thread and use the text export not the HTML export.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info