Need feedback on my music and suggestions for how to make it a career.

I'm really trying to grow as an electronic/instrumental music producer but I'm kind of stuck on step 1.

Most of my music I'm making sounds super repetitive and isn't really bridged and otherwise has poor song structure.

I also don't know how I should go about gaining a fan base nor how to market my songs once I do get a grasp on making my music better.

Here is the most recent one I made and the one I think sounds the best but is still far from where I wanna be. Maybe someone can tell me when my strong points are and where my weaker points are? Or maybe even suggest ways to alter/modify sounds for the best end product?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsafprGK9i4

I currently use FL Studio Producer Edition with a few extra plugins and things from the Image-line website.

So basically my main two questions are:

- What does my music need to sound AAA quality or at least professional?

And,

- How do I reach people who will enjoy my music once I've begun to produce market worthy music?

Thanks for any guidance!
Designer of Unending Hunger and The Craving divination card.
Last edited by FriendlyGamerGuy on Feb 22, 2015, 2:20:58 AM
I still betcha the Wretch will like it
"You can't bash someone else's shitty taste in music when you listen to 'grindcore'" -TheWretch̢
In my analysis of the social and financial dynamics of the world, content is among the least relevant quantities for success. Its all about marketing and influence. A smart salesman will ride the waves made by prior propagation of influence by conforming to 'be like' whatever product it was linked with, and target that specific demographic that positively responded.

So in essence what you need is a really sharp agent/PR agency that can sell you to the people who already like what your music sounds like and your public image conveys.

For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
So for anyone who was interested or saw this thread before, I've been working on my skills a bit more and wanted to share the newest track I just made. It's kind of my attempt at Dubstep, but I'm hoping for feedback or comments!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WCadLtSyWA
the wretch would still like it
"You can't bash someone else's shitty taste in music when you listen to 'grindcore'" -TheWretch̢
Just some raw, brutally honest, potentially uninformed feedback:

The OP track felt a lot like old-school videogame music. I do not mean this as an insult - artists like Black Mages make a living with covers of such music. While you don't have a ton of nostalgia value going for you, you do seem to be making your own melodies. If the OP track was in an early 90s console game I would have considered it professional work... unfortunately, not so much anymore.

The second track reminded me of Nostalgia's The Hero. Except yours is worse; I liked your first track better. Notice how in The Hero the dubstep portion, isolated, doesn't sound like game music, but instead has this ghostly quality to it? It's cool, even awesome, that you can generate your own game music melodies, and you should definitely use those melodies as an anchor to build your songs around, but it would help to add some layers which contrast with that style instead of being more of the same.

I don't think repeating the core melody is a problem; it is okay to go for a "reset" in a track. But make sure the second iteration differs from the first. I think a good rule of thumb is to plan on a single iteration without repetition, and if you find yourself struggling between two different ways of completing the track, go for a reset and include both instead.

Career-wise I would strongly suggest reaching out to game devs, try to do music for a game. Especially for new projects which have a decidedly old-school feel.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 1, 2015, 12:47:58 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Just some raw, brutally honest, potentially uninformed feedback:

The OP track felt a lot like old-school videogame music. I do not mean this as an insult - artists like Black Mages make a living with covers of such music. While you don't have a ton of nostalgia value going for you, you do seem to be making your own melodies. If the OP track was in an early 90s console game I would have considered it professional work... unfortunately, not so much anymore.

The second track reminded me of Nostalgia's The Hero. Except yours is worse; I liked your first track better. Notice how in The Hero the dubstep portion, isolated, doesn't sound like game music, but instead has this ghostly quality to it? It's cool, even awesome, that you can generate your own game music melodies, and you should definitely use those melodies as an anchor to build your songs around, but it would help to add some layers which contrast with that style instead of being more of the same.

I don't think repeating the core melody is a problem; it is okay to go for a "reset" in a track. But make sure the second iteration differs from the first. I think a good rule of thumb is to plan on a single iteration without repetition, and if you find yourself struggling between two different ways of completing the track, go for a reset and include both instead.

Career-wise I would strongly suggest reaching out to game devs, try to do music for a game. Especially for new projects which have a decidedly old-school feel.

Thanks for the feedback. I definitely can see what you mean and will try to find some game devs that would use my skills.

Any chance you know a good way to do so?
I'll be honest, i highly doubt any game dev, at any level (your random computer geek friend who makes little flash games in his free time) is going to want to put what you currently make into their game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info