Alienware Competitive Prizing

"
Splift wrote:
"
Kezz123 wrote:
I have a job so ill just take a fraction of what i earn to work instead of playing video games and buy myself one...or ten :)

By the way GGG, instead of rewarding the top 1% of players who spend way too much time playing games and instead of encouraging destructive behaviors (playing nonstop - each year people die from doing this), you should probably just do a draw based off people who are actually paying you. Win-Win. IE: The more points you purchase the more entries into a draw you get for the systems.

At the very least out of 4 systems, 2 could be drawn and 2 given to your 0.5% players who play too much.

just a thought.
Somehow someone finds a way to complain about this.

YOUR FANTASIES CAN NEVER BE QUENCHED

"This" Doesnt impact me whatsoever. Because I do not play enough to justify it.

I am happy that alienware can participate in giving hardware for a game company. I am thrilled that GGG can reach out and get those types of partnerships.

But that is where the good feedback ends. Everything else is poor decision making and bad business.

1-It encourages a competition that serves not only to all use the most overused cookie cutter build (completely against one of the main vision and differentiating factor from games like d3)
2-It encourages and rewards a very minuscule percentage of the community who play too much and possibly spend very little.
3-Rewarding players who play the most, spend the less means rewarding the players who most negatively impact the servers and economy in game on a play to spend ratio while ignoring all others who are most important to the survival of the game and GGG.

Its an absolutely idiotic decision on the part of the GGG marketing team but to be fair, most marketing teams are usually inept when it comes to the proper implementation of reward programs. Marketing groups are great at getting shiny stuff but usually fail on delivery. This is a great example. Shiny computers from none other than alienware. Ooooo Aaaaa....and tossed away to a fraction of the customers while alienwareating the rest of the customer base who faithfully support the developers.

Its an amazing milestone for the company, wasted by a bad implementation.

"
Kezz123 wrote:
By the way GGG, instead of rewarding the top 1% of players who spend way too much time playing games and instead of encouraging destructive behaviors (playing nonstop - each year people die from doing this),
Wat. Is this the old "videogames turn your brain to mush" argument again? Last I checked gaming systems weren't microwaves...
But you're probably referring to the more indirect effects such as not getting any exercise and such? In that case, by the same reasoning I can assure you that many, many more people 'die from' such 'destructive behaviors' as driving drunk, gambling, or watching too much TV. Suffice it to say I write this off as poor judgement/self-control on the part of the subject in question; I cannot imagine how the developers of a game could reasonably be expected to parent its players to such a degree.
"
Kezz123 wrote:
you should probably just do a draw based off people who are actually paying you. Win-Win. IE: The more points you purchase the more entries into a draw you get for the systems.
"Act now, and for every X points you purchase you'll be entered to win this cool Alienware gear!"
...Please explain how this is not pay to win. Not to mention that this also constitutes a form of gambling, one of aforementioned 'causes of death'.
"
Kezz123 wrote:
1-It encourages a competition that serves not only to all use the most overused cookie cutter build (completely against one of the main vision and differentiating factor from games like d3)
Hold on a second here, if this 'cookie cutter build' is already overused, then that would suggest a cause (namely game balance or player meta) independent from the presence or absence of prizes. As such, eliminating the prizes would do nothing to alleviate the 'cookie cutter' problem.
"
Kezz123 wrote:
2-It encourages and rewards a very minuscule percentage of the community who play too much and possibly spend very little.
Seeing as how the number of prizes available is in the single digits, I should very much hope that the percentage of players awarded them is minuscule indeed.
I could point out that it is quite likely that said percentage will have spent not very little, but in addition, I am encouraged by the possibility that misers may win the day, as lack of the same would, again, constitute pay to win.
"
Kezz123 wrote:
3-Rewarding players who play the most, spend the less means rewarding the players who most negatively impact the servers and economy in game on a play to spend ratio while ignoring all others who are most important to the survival of the game and GGG.
This argument appears to stand on two assumptions that I find questionable; first, that play time is inversely correlated with spending, and second, that players in this game exist in a vacuum devoid of interaction. Further, I would point out that a third assumption made, that those who play the most will win, is only true insomuch as play time correlates with player skill, as ultimately it should be the most skilled who win (if this proves false, again, other issues such as game balance should be raised).
While I myself do not possess any data to outright refute the first assumption, I submit that if one has seen fit to invest so much in a game, I doubt that one would quibble overmuch about whether said investment is made in time or money. After all, an old adage insists that the two are one and the same.
As for the second, remember that in multiplayer games, the demand for player interaction necessitates a healthy player base. In free to play games like PoE, the majority of said player base is handily secured by a non-existent entry cost. It would ergo be unwise to 'alienwareate' this majority by, say, rewarding players based on the slack of their purse strings. Examples of this mistake and its sordid consequences are in no short supply.
"
Kezz123 wrote:
Its an absolutely idiotic decision on the part of the GGG marketing team but to be fair, most marketing teams are usually inept when it comes to the proper implementation of reward programs. Marketing groups are great at getting shiny stuff but usually fail on delivery. This is a great example. Shiny computers from none other than alienware. Ooooo Aaaaa....and tossed away to a fraction of the customers while alienwareating the rest of the customer base who faithfully support the developers.
This sounds more of an attack on marketing departments in general than PoE specifically, but if the basis for this is indeed the above, I believe I have addressed it in its entirety.
Last edited by 三日前 on Feb 23, 2015, 5:38:32 AM
Cant play because dead gpu, hear me cris.
wow that was a LOT of text to say absolutely nothing intelligent.

thanks for proving all my points tho.
For those as yet unfamiliar, the internet beast known as the 'troll' may be identified by a distinct lack of constructive (or overabundance of destructive) substance to its utterances; as a respectable netizen, one's wisest recourse is to withdraw, or refrain, from engagement.
Alienware sucks. I think it's ridiculous that I have to see an alienware ad on a POE website. I already use an adblocker for a reason. Why GGG only teams up with shitty companies? First razer, now this. (the new Dell XPS 13 is pretty good though)

S E L L O U T B O Y S
"
glh5 wrote:
Alienware sucks. I think it's ridiculous that I have to see an alienware ad on a POE website. I already use an adblocker for a reason. Why GGG only teams up with shitty companies? First razer, now this. (the new Dell XPS 13 is pretty good though)

S E L L O U T B O Y S

Get over it. GGG is making money from this no doubt, and that only means more and better content for us.

I am hoping to win the PC, I have been way to broke to afford a new one and winning that would make me incredibly happy :)
I am the world's best path of exile player, I strong I kill all monster with amazing power
"
Kezz123 wrote:

Its an amazing milestone for the company, wasted by a bad implementation.

Ur 100% right, and based on ur logic we shouldnt give out gold medals to the winners in the olympics anymore because those top athletes are ruining sports. lets give the medals to whoever buys the most flags.

I love the fact u state that their marketing department has no idea what its doin while for the cost of a couple of cheap PCs they get some serious advertising for free as all the hardcore players knuckle down and stream 24/7 on twitch to thousands of viewers

nice

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info