Looking For Tanky Scion Build

Hello guys!

TL, DR: I'm looking for a good solo Scion build that I can build from scratch. Tanky, but I really want to use red/greem gems if possible. I prefer a melee/caster character.

Backstory:

I'm new to the game but I had a few characters... a duelist, a scion, and a templar that I messed up. I also have a witch that finished on normal difficulty but got insta-killed on the first rare monster I found on Cruel difficulty.

So I really enjoyed the templar and I found a guide for a Scion (don't remember the name) that I adapted for the class. It is really great, only died in cruel a few times and most of them were because I was not paying attetion or got desync problems. I'm starting Merciless with that character and doing great (but I don't have good gear yet). I'm currently level 59.

The tree for this build is as follows:

I was searching for Scion builds but it's hard to find... since I don't have a lot of stuff that seems essential. Basically I fell in love with the tankyness of my templar and I want something similar for a Scion... but on the Templar I run with red/blue gems and for the Scion I would like to run red/green if possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Last edited by JDSH on Feb 17, 2015, 1:52:47 PM
As a newbie to the game whose first character had turned out distinctly unimpressive, I went looking for a tank build a month or so ago. I found the Dy'Ness tank. You don't get more tanky than that.

I have been leveling as an Incinerate tank rather than Dy'Ness' Fire Storm, and it has worked great up till now at level 75 without access to any items but those I have found along the way. It does feel a bit ridiculous to just stand there, facetanking almost everything while I wave my flamethrower around, but it works. It isn't immortal, but it is the next best thing once you hit 5k ES and it grows ever more absurd as you continue stacking ES.

So if you just want a tank, I'd suggest building the basics around that tank (getting 11.1% passive shield regen from nodes, another 1.7%+ from Vitality, and a huge energy shield) and then modifying it to suit your playstyle.

In your case, since you'd prefer a melee/caster, it should certainly be possible to tweak the build to handle that - probably with a focus on fire elemental damage (as you get 40% increased from taking one of the regeneration nodes).

This the core of the build, that I would suggest you design your build around if the idea of a CI regeneration tank sounds good to you. 74 points allocated, season with damage and tankiness to taste with the remaining points.

And this is the 113 point version of the Fire Storm build

Perhaps you'd prefer less tankiness in favour of more damage, but the basic idea of building on passive regen is solid, also for a newbie with limited access to gear.
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1271604
Last edited by Pi2rEpsilon on Feb 17, 2015, 2:42:15 PM
"
Pi2rEpsilon wrote:
TExt

Awesome!
Looks very promising, I'll try this out. I expect it will be a little more difficult until I can have the energy shield. Thanks :D
Not really more difficult, I suspect.

In my case, I started out with the left hand side (of the 74 core build), going directly for Zealot's oath and then picking up the rest of the regeneration nodes, then up the right side culminating with CI after picking up those tasty Witch ES nodes. Even with mediocre ES leveling gear, it just regenerates so much compared to the damage output in normal and cruel that only minimal care needs to be taken.

The only hard part was in merciless act 2 before I picked up CI - the chaos damage there really wasn't fun, and the cold damage wasn't much fun either due to the minimal use of life nodes, but it wasn't actually difficult to survive. (I'm sure an experienced player could have picked up CI earlier and done well with it, but I'd read so many warnings about not picking up CI too early that I followed a better-safe-than-sorry approach):

Finally, on act 3 reaching merciless Dominus without having spent any time gearing up and just breezing through content, my energy shield was simply too small to allow a relaxed approach. I had to gain another 3-4 levels there farming docks and Piety to gear up and pick more ES nodes before I was comfortable killing him. On the positive side, once down, he could be reliably farmed in less than 10 minutes from teleporting to the Sceptre of God, which allowed me to improve my gear quite rapidly.
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1271604
Last edited by Pi2rEpsilon on Feb 17, 2015, 4:34:04 PM
On my 94 Scion I do a max block Aegis build. Doesn't have the most health, Current setup is 4.7k Health 700 ES. But I can AFK in a 78 map in the middle of a pack of mobs. I come back and there dead from Reckoning/Riposte/Vengeance. If your interested send me a PM and I can give you my setup.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info